SFX-100 or G-Belt

I am really impressed with the SFX-100 motion platform and had been planning to build myself a system for a while now. Upgraded to a P1-X thinking of motion in the future. Picked up 3D printing and have been trying to read some build logs. Even got a quote from Ami for those bits and motors and another quote on some profile. Prices have gone up some, which I understand considering everything, but my eyes keep wandering to the G-Belt and I can't help but wonder if I could save myself some money and trouble with a different approach.

I know there are at least a couple who have both an SFX-100 build and a G-belt and a few more that have different motion platforms with the G-belt and I was hoping to get a little advice. I have never been in a motion platform but am really just looking for more feedback and immersion. I at least somewhat understand the limitations of these systems and I am not looking for a perfect recreation of what I would feel in an actual race car, but more feedback to feel what the car is doing for enjoyment and immersion is all I am after.

I have started to think the feedback I am looking for is feel under braking and coming off the brakes which is what has me thinking of an active belt system. I would also love to have the sideways force while in a turn. I'm not really sure if what I think I want is what I will end up actually wanting in practice though. Yaw to feel the back end would be nice as well but I do have some limitations. Seems like some SFX-100 builders have turned things down, or at least some effects. Seems like some early g-belt system users with motion have turned down there motion and like the feedback they are getting from the active belts. It has me wondering if I should skip the SFX-100 for now and start with a g-belt system.

What effects/feelings do you feel are most beneficial for motion feedback?

Would you recommend I start off with the G-Belt or just go for it and build myself a sfx-100?

Thanks

Thanks, that is using simfeedback though, not simtools + thanos, I don't think the latter setup supports it, but im not sure which is why I asked. I've seen that one before and does look cool!
SRS does and they have a seatbelt available real soon. SRS is way easier to get set up and you can control everything from it.

Upvote 0
I think most rigs are a process and you will likely eventually have both.

Given that, the G-Belt is a simple bolt it on product that works well out of the box and it stands alone well on a static rig.

I very much like it's cornering effects and shift effects in addition to the braking feel which is excellent. The bump effects also work well combined with tactile.

I would even suggest adding tactile to your rig before motion. The G-Belt and tactile are a very powerful and immersive combination without motion.

When you are braking the G-Belt will give you progressive tension and when you lose traction the G-Belt will loosen and if you have a good tactile progessive wheel slide effect combined with the FFB of your wheel, you have a lot of information to work with.

The G-Belt is based on something SimXperence has developed a solid background in. They've had iterations on the G-Seat and have software that can very easily provide a number of G force effects.

Personally I think the G-Belt is the best bang for the buck in immersion you can add.

I would just suggest that you get it first.

Last edited:
Upvote -1
Tactile and G Belt for me, as Heliguy suggests. Had SFX, was cool for a bit but G Belt will act as a driving aid if used correctly. Tactile will add immersion with some slight driving aid. But motion just makes you slower, it’s distracting and when it fails it’sa nightmare.

Won’t be a popular opinion but I’m all for tactile and a tensioner over any sort of motion. I couldn’t be bothered with a DIY tensioner so I thought I’d try the G Belt and I’m pretty happy I did.

Edit: Nice to see my post downvoted for having an opinion.

WEAK. Tactile DESTROYS motion.

Come at me.

Last edited:
Upvote -2

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering