Seating Position Calculation?

This might be an odd question, so go easy on me.
Just wondering if there is a calculation that takes in height, inseam, leg length etc to calculate an ideal seating position on the rig?

I am thinking like an FOV calculator where you input the numbers and you get a number of how far forward/back you should be sitting.

Different categories mean different seating positions. For instance in rallying the seat is not as reclined as in GT3, and F1 is even more reclined, with the pedals very high and vertical and your legs almost straight. As regard distances, you have to pay attention to being comfortable in the sense that you have to reach and operate the steering wheel and the pedals without efforts. Lowering the center of gravity is not as important in rally as in GT3 or F1, so you don't have to be seated too low. The seat should be lower with respect the steering wheel when you compare to a normal road car, but the top of the rim should not interfere with your view of the road. The distance of the steering wheel depends also on the category and your driving style. F1/GT3 rims tend to be small and with low degrees of rotation, so you will prefer not to seat to close to the steering wheel, while rally drivers tend to sit closer because they have to fight a lot more with the steering. I wouln't worry too much about it when designing your rig. Just install your seat on rails (I did so also with my pedals) and adjust them until you feel them right.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. :) I was more after just the position of the seat forward or back. I have it where I feel pretty comfortable, so I guess it's fine where it is. :)

Upvote 0
Some drivers prefer to move the whole leg forward and backward, while others prefer to use their ankle to push the pedals, so I suppose that also affects the distance. I think that one reason for the race cars to have the pedals in a more vertical position and with your legs more straight than in road cars is the fact that very heavy braking means a lot of inertia that pushes all your body to the front, so it's a good idea to be able to keep your foot on the pedal firmly.

Upvote 0
Yeah that's true with the straighter legs. I do like my legs a little more on the bent side, which is why I was sort of wondering if I should really be straightening them out. With no inertia or g forces with sim racing, I guess it can be set anywhere. :)

Upvote 0

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 13 21.7%
  • More leagues

Votes: 12 20.0%
  • Prizes

Votes: 10 16.7%
  • Trophies

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Forum trophies