AC Seat Leon TCR @ Donington Park GP - Fri 06Jul18

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
hello @Paul Glover
i'm really sorry that i hit you in the second race. It was really and only my fault. I'm very sorry for that. I appologize me and hope you can accept it. I look at the replay and i wasn't the man who pushed you out of the way in the first race.
hape

Hi Hape, thank you for your message. I have sent you a PM.

Paul

Great race everyone. Race 1 Wolff, Aki and I had a racing incident going into T1 approximately 1 second after this, but it did make for a good picture ;-)

iEcOjx4.jpg

Race 2 was much more fun, having to try and overtake on a track that's very demanding for overtakes. Thanks to everyone I raced with, it was very fair :)

Glad someone had some clean racing.

As usual here's my onboard from race 2, where I started from 8th and tried to climb my way back up:

Great racing especially @Francis76, I spent a lot of time staring at your "please brake" message on the back :p

That was a bit less fun than I thought it'd be - first race in the car sure, but I felt like I was fighting the car & track more than people around me. Threw it away in R1/lap 1 to avoid rearending someone, that was kinda fun fighting back up again, but R2 was mostly stressful :S any setup tips? other than "no wing, stiff rear" which I already had...

Thanks for a great evening again gents. Week 2 and finished with enough fuel to be an Uber driver for the rest of the evening...but finish I did....twice!

As usual here's my onboard from race 2, where I started from 8th and tried to climb my way back up:

Great racing especially @Francis76, I spent a lot of time staring at your "please brake" message on the back :p

This race start reaction was insane. Was like Bottas in Austria last year...nobody else on the grid reacted that fast.

giphy.gif

Noticed a cheeky 'world record' at this track as well...

giphy.gif

Now I'm just happy to have shown up on your 'realtime' app!!!

That was a bit less fun than I thought it'd be - first race in the car sure, but I felt like I was fighting the car & track more than people around me. Threw it away in R1/lap 1 to avoid rearending someone, that was kinda fun fighting back up again, but R2 was mostly stressful :S any setup tips? other than "no wing, stiff rear" which I already had...
Hi Simon, was around you and @Schwud Nelsh Dave Peat for much of the time, huge thanks to you both for some great clean racing:)

I'm not experienced enough with sim racing to offer advice, so not being a lover of front wheel drive I aimed to make it handle like 'me old Peugot 309 - v easy to rotate.

If it helps..... I think I had a bit more grip than you under braking and mid corner - I'd softened front packers x1 and dropped front tyre pressures x1 which I def think helped. Also increased fr anti-roll x1.

And yes... no rear wing :p:p

You were quicker on corner exit than I, but I think that's 'cos you're more consistent than this old bugger:D

Hi Simon, was around you and @Schwud Nelsh Dave Peat for much of the time, huge thanks to you both for some great clean racing:)

Yeah, that was some good racing, if a little stressful :)

You were quicker on corner exit than I, but I think that's 'cos you're more consistent than this old bugger:D

I spent a fair bit of time trying to get the car to pull out of corners without ploughing straight on, it worked somewhat. People seemed to be way faster into corners on the brakes though, as you say, and that understeer there frustrated me to no end ( enough to cause mistakes tbh ). Part of it was brake balance being too far rearward so if I braked too hard I drifted into corners, but there was something else amiss too. I did notice in a couple of the right handers the inner rear was locked up completely & I think in the air, so maybe I did have a bit less front ARB than I should. Can't have been doing the FL tyre much good...

I spent a fair bit of time trying to get the car to pull out of corners without ploughing straight on

If you're struggling with the car wanting to immediately go straight when you start to accelerate in a FWD car, you almost certainly want to adjust the diff power. I think mine was set at the lowest setting.

The diff power controls how much the diff is willing to let the tyres rotate separately, so if the diff power is too high they'll end up going at the same speed, which results in you going straight on as described (as in order to turn, the outer tyre should be moving more quickly).

That said, no matter what you do, in a FWD car one will always have to compensate for power-on understeer :)

If you drop the diff too low you'll just spin the inner tyre though - I made it work with 60% I think, it did drift out a little out of slow corners but it was nowhere near the default, and as you say that's FWD - and it was certainly pulling strongly. I actually like the strong diff at Brands, works well there. The understeer into corners I'm not so sure about - that definitly wasn't diff related.

Last edited:
If you drop the diff too low you'll just spin the inner tyre though - I made it work with 60% I think, it did drift out a little out of slow corners but it was nowhere near the default, and as you say that's FWD. I actually like the strong diff at Brands, works well there. The understeer into corners I'm not so sure about - that definitly wasn't diff related.

Spinning the inner tyre seemed a reasonable compromise on this car after my testing -- I'm willing to dissipate some acceleration from the inside tyre especially since the weight transfer is pretty substantial in this car. I found that in the slower corners with 30% the inside tyre wasn't really spinning anyway, although of course it depends on driving style.

I also enjoyed my first outing with this car. After a while driving only RWD cars, took me a little time to re-think my driving. Also... these cars drive a little different than the Audi TTs, the last FWD-cars I drove.

Loved the close fights! In the second race I took 2Ls off the tank and that ended with me having to save fuel the last 4 laps to make it to the end. It was fine, since Chris overtook me nicely in time for me to take a step back and concentrate only on the F1-driving...err... I mean save fueling :D Happily, the drivers behind me were far enough that I could maintain the 5th to the end :D

See you in the next one!

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea