Samsung S95b vs. LG C2 for use with PC only?

Hello All,

I want to upgrade the 55" 60 Hz OLED I currently have dedicated to my sim rig to a 120 Hz (+) model. I'd like to stick with a standard 4k display (no ultrawides, curved screens, etc.).

In the 55" size that I prefer, the two current main options are the Samsung S95B and the LG C2. By all accounts, the C2 is solid for use with PC's.

The Samsung is reputed to have better colors, but it's a first-gen product, and I've heard some complaints about picture processing when in use with consoles or PC's, e.g. blown-out highlights, etc. Comments?

I'm unsure which has better speakers, but that's important too.

Any comments about this choice?

Thank you.

• Deleted member 197115

I believe the main difference is this

The Samsung S95B OLED is a unique TV in Samsung's lineup. It's different from Samsung's QLED lineup, including the high-end Samsung QN95B, in that this TV uses a new QD-OLED panel. Along with the Sony A95K OLED, this new TV technology uses blue OLED panels with quantum dot color filters and is advertised to deliver much brighter colors than traditional white OLED displays, like the LG G2 OLED.

I only have experience with LG C2 and it's awesome with PC, colors, HDR support, flawless FreeSync.

• Deleted member 197115

It’s smaller in size at 48 inches, but the LG 48GQ900-B looks like a great option for a single screen or triples with the display port connection.
Oh, they have DP on TVs now, nice?

Thanks for the comments above. I've done some additional research, too.

The Samsung has a superior display technology with purer colors. However, it uses a pentile display layout, and so using it as a monitor means text, window edges, etc., can and probably will show more color fringing.

In a push to win the current brightness war craze, it seems like Samsung is emphasizing highlights, to the point that contrast in them may be lost (i.e., they can be "blown out"). This can probably be dialed back.

Samsung's home screen and controls are cluttered and laggy (got to squeeze more "content" options down your throat!).

Samsung lacks Dolby Vision and audio features that are in common use.

There have been complaints of the Samsung panel's ease of warping or bending.

I personally prefer LG's glossier but blacker anti-reflective coating.

In the end, Samsung's display tech is better. But LG's product is fully mature and likely better for use as a computer display. Cheaper, too.

I'll probably go for the LG, but may regret not getting the Samsung!

The following is most important for gaming:
- true 120 (or more) Hz, not fake frame generation AKA interpolation junk
- Low input lag
- stroboscopic mode and/or black frame insertion. As fast as OLED pixel response times are, they are still not CRT like or LCD panel like when LCDs are in stroboscopic mode (AKA ULMB, Lightboost, etc.). OLEDs still use the crappy "sample and hold" method to refresh the picture (unless running the OLED in stroboscopic or BFI mode if available). Generally speaking, an OLED in normal mode would have to be running at 320 Hz/fps just to match the motion clarity of the same OLED in BFI mode at only 120 Hz/fps.

That should give you motion clarity almost on par with a good CRT. Crazy that even OLEDs need special modes just to match the motion clarity of a good monitor from 30+ years ago.

Last edited:
Both can optionally do black frame insertion at 60 Hz. Neither does it at 120 Hz. (And to answer a question above, both do true 120 Hz frame rates with no interpolated frames.)

The main down-side of BFI is that the screens would be about 1/2 as bright. It also typically induces considerable additional latency and sometimes complaints about flicker.

I don't think comparisons to CRT's are pertinent anymore (nor plasma). And I'm not the type to fuss over every last minute setting. Even without BFI, going from 60 Hz to 120 Hz should be a nice improvement.

Unfortunately, at full 4k, going much higher than 120 Hz isn't possible without next-gen interconnect. The new 240 Hz OLED monitors are all lower resolution. I'd hold out for higher FPS if it was coming in the 2023 models, but apparently it won't arrive until 2024 at the earliest (neither in 4k OLEDS or Nvidia's cards, though AMD's new cards has it now).

Last edited:

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 467 70.2%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 283 42.6%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 306 46.0%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 135 20.3%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 180 27.1%
Back