Samsung 57" UWD Monitor

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
Crazy product (not that I'll be in the market for one) but that promo video is criminally misleading in a bunch of ways and they should be ashamed of themselves for creating it (lying toerags).
The bit with the guy rolling on the ground around 1:18 has a caption suggesting they are contrasting 120 Hz with 240 Hz, but the actual update rates of the footage differ by a factor of 5, which is just taking the piss.
And what's with the FreeSync stuff at 1:25?? They have crazy artefacts that look like a bit like savage vertical AND horizontal tearing (but in blocks) on the FreeSync-off side - the vertical pitch of the artefacts would need the frame rate from the GPU to be something like 20x the refresh rate, wtf. And the horizontal artefacts...?? Am guessing that they just decided that regular old vertical tearing - once or twice per frame - didn't look awful enough for their purposes so they needed to sex it up a bit so they asked an artist to edit the footage :(

• Deleted member 197115

If you wonder how it stacks size wise against 49" brother.
1692908536105.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Overrated.

Has anyone tried playing games without true triple-scren support (ie. triple independent rendering) on triple-screens? If you have, do you notice how you get way less peripheral vision on the side monitors? That's because the game is treating the triple-screens as one large monitor so you get massive distortion / stretching which also kills and cheats you out of the horizontal FOV you should be getting with triple screens. That makes triples very gimmickry (again, unless the game has true triple-screen support).

Apply that same idea to ultrawide screens. You start noticing it a bit more on regular ultrawides (eg. 21:9, 24:10) but it's usually not too bad...but on super ultrawides AKA 32:9? It's atrocious and, dare I say it, extremely gimmicky and a waste of space. For the aspect ratio, you should be getting way more h.FOV but, what really happens, is you only get a little more h.FOV and then that little extra h.FOV gets massively stretched to fill out the extra physical width of the monitor. It's completely flawed and a total gimmick for gaming.

Until games and/or graphics card manufacturers come out with ways to properly utilize the extra horizontal space (and, hopefully, curves) of wide aspect ratio monitors, these monitors will continue to be a gimmicky waste with their ridiculous stretching / distortions.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

Not saying that there are no stretches on the sides, but I don't think it's that bad if you use properly calculated FOV. Plus in ACC you can use Projection correction or triple screen option, triple screen settings for UWD also work in other titles like AC, R3E, perhaps iRacing (don't have active sub to verify).

Overrated.

Has anyone tried playing games without true triple-scren support (ie. triple independent rendering) on triple-screens? If you have, do you notice how you get way less peripheral vision on the side monitors? That's because the game is treating the triple-screens as one large monitor so you get massive distortion / stretching which also kills and cheats you out of the horizontal FOV you should be getting with triple screens. That makes triples very gimmickry (again, unless the game has true triple-screen support).

Apply that same idea to ultrawide screens. You start noticing it a bit more on regular ultrawides (eg. 21:9, 24:10) but it's usually not too bad...but on super ultrawides AKA 32:9? It's atrocious and, dare I say it, extremely gimmicky and a waste of space. For the aspect ratio, you should be getting way more h.FOV but, what really happens, is you only get a little more h.FOV and then that little extra h.FOV gets massively stretched to fill out the extra physical width of the monitor. It's completely flawed and a total gimmick for gaming.

Until games and/or graphics card manufacturers come out with ways to properly utilize the extra horizontal space (and, hopefully, curves) of wide aspect ratio monitors, these monitors will continue to be a gimmicky waste with their ridiculous stretching / distortions.
Agree.

I use my triple 3x32 in MSFS2020 without triple monitor support and the side monitors have distorted pictures.

Not saying that there are no stretches on the sides, but I don't think it's that bad if you use properly calculated FOV. Plus in ACC you can use Projection correction or triple screen option, triple screen settings for UWD also work in other titles like AC, R3E, perhaps iRacing (don't have active sub to verify).
True. Good points. However, even without as much distortion due to using a 1:1 (or close) FOV, you still get way cheated out of the horizontal FOV you should be getting.

For example. Play a game with true triple-screen (independent viewport) rendering like RF 1/2, AC, IR, etc. Let's say the 1:1 v.FOV is 40 degrees. Now play a game without true triple-screen support like GTR2, GTL, Race 07, PC1, most (if not all) codies F1 games, codies Dirt series, WRC series, etc. Set the game to the exact same FOV (40 v.degrees). Notice how you get way less horizontal FOV (ie. peripheral vision) even though both are running equal 1:1 FOVs?

If some games allow running their triple-screen independent viewport options while in single-screen mode in order to manipulate the image to properly take advantage of the extra physical horizontal FOV that ultra- and super-ultrawide screens offer - then that sounds fantastic. Would be interesting to see a video of that.

Last edited:
If some games allow running their triple-screen independent viewport options while in single-screen mode in order to manipulate the image to properly take advantage of the extra physical horizontal FOV that ultra- and super-ultrawide screens offer - then that sounds fantastic. Would be interesting to see a video of that.
As long as you describe the angle matching the monitor curve, screen size (height, 1/3rd width), and viewing distance, all the race games with multiview will produce the correct horizontal FOV. They don't care whether there are 3 separate monitors or one very wide monitor (remember, nVidia's Surround is treating all the monitors as a single screen!).

1693055009122.png

What's not said is that a single ultrawide screen that's two 32" monitors wide will not be as immersive as three individual 32" monitors because it won't wrap as far around you and the angle is significantly shallower. Especially because that ultrawide screen is as costly as three individual monitors.... the two advantages the ultrawide has are being seamless (no frames interfering with the view) and 33% fewer pixels to push compared to 3 individual monitors. And that may be enough for some people.

Last edited:
As long as you describe the angle matching the monitor curve, screen size (height, 1/3rd width), and viewing distance, all the race games with multiview will produce the correct horizontal FOV.
Correct overall horizontal fov: yes.
But you'll have some distortion across the 3 screens since the games have flat viewport calculation. It's not that bad, but on a single curved 16:9 Monitor in front of you, you'll also have distortion at the edges since you see the flat calculated viewport bent via your curved screen.
With 3 curved screens, you get the distortion on the left edge of your center monitor and on the right edge of your left monitor etc.

It's quite minimal, but sadly no simracing title supports curved viewports combined with triples.
IRacing and ACC have a setting for the curvature, but it's not active for triples (or at least not per screen, instead of stretching the full image to counter the overall distortion).
They don't care whether there are 3 separate monitors or one very wide monitor (remember, nVidia's Surround is treating all the monitors as a single screen!).
But they should :p
The triple screen options of the games expect 3 flat viewports and splits them at the monitor borders.
If you have a 32:9 or triple curved, you get the one big nvidia surround virtual monitor split and handled like 3 flat screens, not curved screens.

It's a bit much blah blah, since you really only see the distortion at the edges of the side monitors. But here are good screenshots of a Video (sadly can't find the link right now..) where you can clearly see the "issue" if the flat viewport getting bent.
Screenshot_20230812_084354_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20230812_084435_YouTube.jpg

Although it certainly adds to the immersion, when you get "attacked" by the walls coming closer in your peripheral vision :D

As long as you describe the angle matching the monitor curve, screen size (height, 1/3rd width), and viewing distance, all the race games with multiview will produce the correct horizontal FOV. They don't care whether there are 3 separate monitors or one very wide monitor (remember, nVidia's Surround is treating all the monitors as a single screen!).

View attachment 690011

What's not said is that a single ultrawide screen that's two 32" monitors wide will not be as immersive as three individual 32" monitors because it won't wrap as far around you and the angle is significantly shallower. Especially because that ultrawide screen is as costly as three individual monitors.... the two advantages the ultrawide has are being seamless (no frames interfering with the view) and 33% fewer pixels to push compared to 3 individual monitors. And that may be enough for some people.
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure some games' triple-screen setup options don't do anything if you don't have triples. Is this something only ACC and IR allows? Can you also do this in AC, RF2, and PC2/AMS2?

How would you set it up according to your monitor? Let's say I have a single flat 57" 32:9 monitor. How would I setup the game's triple-screen settings to manipulate the image so as to get an increase in h.FOV for the same v.FOV and therefore getting rid of the stretching?

• Deleted member 197115

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure some games' triple-screen setup options don't do anything if you don't have triples. Is this something only ACC and IR allows? Can you also do this in AC, RF2, and PC2/AMS2?
I mentioned it in previous post, yes, you absolutely can AND should.
ACC, AC, R3E allow you to do that. AMS2 doesn't. Can't speak for rf2 or iRacing as don't use them.
This is how it looks for 49" 1000R Samsung G9.
Samsung_G9-FOV.jpg

ACC also adds "Projection correction" option, which is cheaper than in house implemented UE triple screen support but stretches image in the center as it applies barrel distortion, you need to supersample to compensate.

This is the description of the technique.

But you'll have some distortion across the 3 screens since the games have flat viewport calculation. It's not that bad, but on a single curved 16:9 Monitor in front of you, you'll also have distortion at the edges since you see the flat calculated viewport bent via your curved screen.
Agreed and why I recommend flat monitors for triple screens. But I have to admit I'm becoming more tempted by a single big curved monitor... we're just not big enough yet, LOL.

Last edited:
Agreed and why I recommend flat monitors for triple screens. But I have to admit I'm becoming more tempted by a single big curved monitor... we're just not big enough yet, LOL.
Yeah and I have to admit that I wouldn't really care about that distortion. It's more a technicality, than a real issue to be honest.
I mean look at this (found the video):

IMG_20230826_190829_069.jpg

Trying this with AC. What do I apply for width and screen angle?

Monitor is 21:9, 45" (actually somewhere between 44.5" - 45.9" depending on source), 800r curve.

EDIT: I forgot, there's a wonderful spreadsheet here that's apparently accurate:
To use it, click File -> Download.
Type in your diagonal screen size, aspect ratio, curve, and distance from eyes to screen. It will tell you the correct v.FOV and give you two h.FOV, the h.FOV you'd get if your screen had no curve and the h.FOV for the curve you entered.
It also gives other info which may come in handy like the screen's "curved width" (arc length), height, and "straight width".

On my 45" 21:9 800R curve, with me sitting 55 cm away, the FOV is vertical: 45, horizontal: 87. However, because of the curve, I should actually be getting 104 degrees h.FOV (for the same 45 degrees v.FOV). This means I'm getting cheated out and loosing 17 degrees of h.FOV when using a 1:1 FOV setup (45 degrees v.FOV).

NOTE: The above is regarding FOV compensating for curved monitors. It's not about FOV & distortion - regardless of curve or no curve - the wider a monitor is (eg. 32:9). It seems we're talking about 2 different things here, although these 2 subjects may overlap.

Last edited:
NOTE: The above is regarding FOV compensating for curved monitors. It's not about FOV & distortion the wider a monitor is (eg. 32:9) regardless of curve or no curve. It seems we're talking about 2 different things here, although they may be connected (I don't know, lots of this is over my head).
Yeah, we need more drawings for this topic :D
The "issue" with using triple mode for ultrawides: it gets rid of the distortion at the screen edges, which is awesome and gives you your 104° horizontal.
However you now get some "vertical distortion-edges" on your curved monitor, where the triple mode sets the "bezels" and splits the viewports.
The image calculation is for the flat viewports, which is then "bent" to your curved monitor.
The angle is very little and the distortion minimal, but you might have a "glitching border" where straight lines change their angle a little bit:
Samsung_G9-FOV.jpg

I'm trying to set this up in AC. Are you able to provide an example pic like this but for 45", 21:9, 800r?

Or, if you can just tell me the following to enter into the triple-screen setup:
- What angle do I enter?
- Do I use the true surface width (arc length) or the straight-line width?
- Do I divide the screen's width by 3 (since I'm only actually using 1 screen)?

I'm trying to set this up in AC. Are you able to provide an example pic like this but for 45", 21:9, 800r?

Or, if you can just tell me the following to enter into the triple-screen setup:
- What angle do I enter?
Good questions! I never tested this, I just know the theory between curved screens and the flat viewport calculation. If no one will replay with the right answers, I'll get to this tomorrow and do a sketch up etc. :)

- What angle do I enter?
  • What angle? Uh, geometry required and it's too early in the day. If you know the arc length and radius, then you can figure out (or measure) the total angle and divide it by 3 (because you're creasing the flat monitor twice to cover the arc).
  • Use the arc length.
  • Divide the arc length by 3.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

• What angle? Uh, geometry required and it's too early in the day. If you know the arc length and radius, then you can figure out (or measure) the total angle and divide it by 3 (because you're creasing the flat monitor twice to cover the arc).
  • Use the arc length.
  • Divide the arc length by 3.
math-zach-galifianakis.gif

I am more simple minded.

stupid-math.gif

Btw you can simply use ChatGPT for "basic" calculations like this:

Curved Monitor Measurements​

GPT-4

User

Can you calculate for me a few things about a curved monitor, like arc length etc? Monitor: 45", 800R Can tell me the width, the arc length and if I set in the focal point of 80 cm away from the monitor: When splitting the monitor curve into 3 identical parts: the center point in the middle of the monitor has 0°, what's the angle of the the center points of the parts on the side compared to that? Please don't write a full text. Just make a list like this: Width: xxx Arc length: xxx Angle of the two center points of the side parts: xxx
Etc.
Reply:
Screenshot_20230827_191443_Chrome.jpg

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play