Saab 9000

Cars Saab 9000 0.01

Login or Register an account to download this content
SDX submitted a new resource:

Saab 9000 - do-it-yourself version

I am posting this Saab 9000 as open-source initial model that includes most assets necessary to port it into most games, for example Assetto Corsa.

View attachment 585762

NOTE: current state of this project is: only viewable in Blender! It is now completely open source, so anyone is free to modify it as needed.

The reason I post this model here, is to help anyone searching for Saab 9000 or any of its assets (textures, wheels, seats) to find it. Would be great if...

Read more about this resource...

i had a silver 1988 9000 turbo hatchback which i purchased used around 2000,,,fun car,,,,i wish someone would do more saabs
oh yeah,,,,i also had a 1990 900S which i purchased used around 1995,,,lady at a roadside mail drop box turned in front of me while i was driving down a road,,and totaled it

I have a (currently not running) SAAB 9000, so I'd love to see this done. What can I help with, if I haven't done any car modding before?

If it's physics we need, could we start with existing physics of a similar car, then fiddle with them? I suppose taking another modder's work as basis would be stealing, but we could start with the Alfa Romeo Mito QV.

I originally thought about the Giulietta QV, but it has more sophisticated rear suspension, so the Mito is more appropriate.

Then add exactly 300kg to take it to 1440kg kerb weight and space out the wheels to their appropriate positions and adjust wheels/tyre sizes from 215/45 R17 to 195/65 R15 for CS or 205/55 R16 for Aero.

As for the engine, there was a 170HP version of the 9000, so all you'd need to do is bump up the torque to 280 from 240 Nm. Alternatively for the Aero, go to 225HP and 342 Nm.

What else is needed? Camera position? Is the 3D model really complete and ready to go or is there shader work needed?

@aphidgod isn't this a bit harsh? :) Most people learn to mod something by looking at existing examples. And everyone is allowed to start from official Kunos SDK:
..\Steam\steamapps\common\assettocorsa\sdk\dev\content\cars\formula_k\
and
..\Steam\steamapps\common\assettocorsa\sdk\dev\car_pipeline_2.0rev\

As Assetto Corsa works with mostly physical parameters, it is not unusual that there will be similarities in physics files as well.

I have a (currently not running) SAAB 9000, so I'd love to see this done. What can I help with, if I haven't done any car modding before?

To get this model into the game it requires at least some basic editing in Blender v3. Nothing artistic, but you would need to look through quite some YouTube tutorials to do things you will need.

If you have zero experience modding Assetto Corsa - there are plenty of good tutorials to get you into the game fast, like the official tutorial in ..\Steam\steamapps\common\assettocorsa\sdk\dev\car_pipeline_2.0rev\ or the one I followed: https://www.assettocorsamods.net/threads/your-first-car-in-assetto-corsa-basic-guide.1019/ .

Bonus: I happen to have released this model which does work in Assetto Corsa: https://github.com/SDX-LV/model_of_Bugatti_EB110/tree/main/3D_mesh
Bugatti model is again totally open-source (you are officially free to steal everything in it, without even admitting that you did!), so I would personally take that "EB110GT_OpenSource_forAC.blend" file and import into it "Saab9000Anniv_OpenSource.blend" and then basically move/replace Bugatti parts with Saab parts till you can export everything according to the tutorials.

For the physics and data files, you can look at the Bugatti example as well. In the documentation https://github.com/SDX-LV/model_of_...s/EB110 Tech data for Driving simulation.docx I included quite a lot of explanations what each parameter means (nothing fancy, I certainly can not make setups like @aphidgod - an actual expert in this)

I can offer very limited support here because I myself am veeery far from an expert in AC modding. Plus I had no time not connected my steering wheel to a PC in more than 1 year - I am a bit busy with other priorities.

That's also stealing.
I dunno, maybe standards have changed, I haven't made any mods myself in about 10 years, but using base game files (that I have purchased the rights to use, of course) used to be fair game in the modding world.

The Alfas mentioned are also base game cars so I'm not giving anyone without DLCs access to stuff they shouldn't have.

A bigger problem is the intellectual property of the SAAB 9000. The design is still patented and names are trademarked by General Motors (who owned SAAB at the time of this facelift coming to market).

To get this model into the game it requires at least some basic editing in Blender v3. Nothing artistic, but you would need to look through quite some YouTube tutorials to do things you will need. [...] I am a bit busy with other priorities.
I am also a busy old man, but I might look into it. Cheers for the advice. :)

I dunno, maybe standards have changed, I haven't made any mods myself in about 10 years, but using base game files (that I have purchased the rights to use, of course) used to be fair game in the modding world.

A bigger problem is the intellectual property of the SAAB 9000. The design is still patented and names are trademarked by General Motors (who owned SAAB at the time of this facelift coming to market).
From what i've seen there's plenty of mods around with the base physics files taken from kunos cars and to be fair many of them that i've tried feel rushed as if the only point was just to make it work and look good. Maybe it is good for a quick test but you would get much more accurate results if you started them from scratch. Not to mention, the point of a simulator is to be a realistic representation of something from real life, having physics files copied from other cars doesn't sound like an authentic experience to me. ;)

Licensing shouldn't be a problem, only if the developers themselves would allocate space for it or release the car as a patch for the game, the intellectual property laws would be breached, correct me if i'm wrong.
(Oh, and sorry i have to nitpick, but first models of 9000 were released to the markets 2 years before GM bought Saab :D)

I've done a test mod using this 3D model years ago when i got interested about how modding in AC works, i took the physics from audi quattro, adjusted it until major glitches were gone. a friend converted the GTA3 release from .dff to .fbx and he animated some stuff for it too. There were many flaws, the car ended up being too large compared to any default cars in the game and after getting a job i had no time to fiddle around with notepad and content manager to see if i can make the suspension atleast closer to what it should be so it got abandoned. It was never intended to be released because back then i didn't even have permission to convert this model, but i still have the project files for that one.

I'm currently in the process of converting this model to Live For Speed, and i've started working on some new "fresher" textures that i wouldn't mind sharing .psd or .xcf once i get finished with them. Because of how LFS modding works though, i'll have to remove any real logos and replace them with fake ones but it isn't that much of a hassle to return the original branding. I'll attach a pic of some progress, i'll have to change the steering wheel to the nice high poly one that's in the github package(nice work with that and the wheels btw!)

It's also nice to see Saab enthusiasts here, i happen to own a´92 9000 CSE too :D

Attachments

• dash.jpg
    dash.jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Reactions: SDX
Not to mention, the point of a simulator is to be a realistic representation of something from real life, having physics files copied from other cars doesn't sound like an authentic experience to me. ;)

The Alfa Mito physics are just a starting point. Not copy, paste, done.

I... can't seem to get this point across here. The idea is NOT to have Alfa physics with a SAAB graphic on top. That is kind of ironic. :D

My point is that nobody (who actually knows how to do this properly) will give a damn about this project, cause nobody gives a damn about this car.

So I figured the rest of us who can't do this properly, but care about this car, could fiddle with the MiTo physics until they resemble what our real life experience with the car as well as testing data from journalists tells us. And at that point, the new physics should look nothing like the MiTo physics.

I mean it's a heavy, body-roll-prone barge. We're not looking for F1-level precision here.

But you've all convinced me, it's not worth it.

I'm gonna go play some AC, maybe drive that Kunos Miata which feels nothing like my actual MX-5. I wish I could smoke my real tyres that easily on stock power. But then again I don't wish I had that killer snap-oversteer that the virtual version seems to suffer from. Maybe my plastic Logitech DF GT is the problem. I don't feel very authentic! :D

(Oh, and sorry i have to nitpick, but first models of 9000 were released to the markets 2 years before GM bought Saab :D) [...] It's also nice to see Saab enthusiasts here, i happen to own a´92 9000 CSE too :D
Yes, early models were pre-GM, but what we have here is the facelifted model... unless the Blender file contains the old one as well.

Mine's a 1996 CSE with a remap and some exhaust work. Too bad gas is so expensive or I'd probably try to get it running properly again. Was a good car to take to the Nűrburging, carried all luggage for two people as well as provided space to sleep. I miss driving it like you wouldn't believe.

Reactions: SDX
Ah my bad, for some reason i only remembered that they switched the engine management system post-GM :D Serves me right for trying to act wise.

But yeah that's true, there's propably not many people willing to put in the time and know-how to make the car. Did kinda miss the point indeed but i'll use non-native english speaker as my excuse. :D Didn't mean to demotivate though, if i get around to refreshing my memories about physics file editing for AC, i'll definitely look into getting this working inside AC, or atleast offer the limited help i can give. For me the biggest hurdle would be kseditor itself, i've little to no idea about how it's supposed to be used, the only thing i think i've used it for was when i was changing material names on some RTB tracks that i've created but that's about it.

There are some interesting things in AC physics, not gonna say it's all because of the peripherals you use but i do recall DFGT being a bit slow to turn and the motor(s) weren't really powerful, so some issues may be amplified. That being said, i'm not better off with my trusty old G27.

Been planning a trip to nürburgring too, but for me it seems like it'll have to wait until next year once again. :D

Isn't this model from a GTA SA mod? I support the cause but this model would never have any chance of looking good in AC because it's simply missing so much detail.

Isn't this model from a GTA SA mod? I support the cause but this model would never have any chance of looking good in AC because it's simply missing so much detail.
It is likely that someone ripped this model into SanAndreas as well. I did not have time to make my own version.

If you are worried about graphics, yes the graphics is as bad as you can see :) The model was finished in 2005 when I had GeForce 2Ti with 64MB DDR memory :)
This version does have a few 3D improvements, but nothing that will satisfy perfectionists.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.