RTX 3080 Experience

Hi,

I managed to get my hands on an MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio.

I've had a few hours here and there to play with it.

I have had issues with F1 2020 with average frame rate OK but terrible 1% lows (35 fps) giving me noticeable frame drops and unstable frame times.

I wondered if others have had this or if it is because I am using GE Force Experience optimal settings asking too much of the card.

I also tried ACC and only got around 90 FPS average on 1440p. Does this sound about right? Seems low.

I have a 9900k, 32Gb 3600Mhz RAM, 1000W PSU running OS and game on same drive Samsung 970 EVO Plus

Last edited:
Hi,

I managed to get my hands on an MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio.

I've had a few hours here and there to play with it.

I have had issues with F1 2020 with average frame rate OK but terrible 1% lows (35 fps) giving me noticeable frame drops and unstable frame times.

I wondered if others have had this or if it is because I am using GE Force Experience optimal settings asking too much of the card.

I also tried ACC and only got around 90 FPS average on 1440p. Does this sound about right? Seems low.

I have a 9900k, 32Gb 3600Mhz RAM, 1000W PSU running OS and game on same drive Samsung 970 EVO Plus
I replied to you in the "Will you be getting a 3080?" thread. I'm getting an average of 160fps, using the optimized Nvidia settings

I think some of the issues I'm having are related to G Sync.

I've now set it up with VSync set to ON in Nvidia global settings and display G Sync label when active on R/H side of screen in game so I know it's active.

Things seem smoother but I was still getting 1% lows at 60 something FPS even though my average is 144FPS (this was on medium settings).

I might try disabling all G Sync and VSync functions just to see the true FPS average and 1% low and work from there.

I might have to drop monitor refresh to something like 75Hz or 90 Hz to smooth things out.

I think some of the issues I'm having are related to G Sync.

I've now set it up with VSync set to ON in Nvidia global settings and display G Sync label when active on R/H side of screen in game so I know it's active.

Things seem smoother but I was still getting 1% lows at 60 something FPS even though my average is 144FPS (this was on medium settings).

I might try disabling all G Sync and VSync functions just to see the true FPS average and 1% low and work from there.

I might have to drop monitor refresh to something like 75Hz or 90 Hz to smooth things out.
I don't use either G Sync or V Sync, never have. Maybe your problem lies there?

What you should do first is reading out your GPU load!
CPU load isn't important since you can't see the single thread performance limit anywhere really..

But GPU load is reliable! When it's 95% or higher, it's your graphics card limiting. If your GPU load is below 95%, it's either an FPS limit (vsync, fps limiter, engine issues) or your CPU. Most likely your CPU.. Especially in ACC...

GuitarTech's 160 fps are probably not with many visible opponents?
My 4.9 GHz 10600k with 3466 cl17 is dropping to around 70 fps too at race starts with 20 AI!

To read out GPU load:
msi afterburner, hwInfo64, openhardwaremonitor are good choices.
My favorite is openhardwaremonitor though. A bit comlicated to scroll/zoom the plot but it records the last 24 hours with below 1% cpu load!
And it's just a zip to download, unpack and run the exe. No need to install anything.

Download the 0.9.5 version and just run the exe.
Then you need to do the following:
View -> Show Plot
Options -> Plot location -> right

From there it's a bit tricky.. to change the range of the plot, you need to hover the mouse cursor over the axis you want to zoom and then use the mouse wheel.
And it will always zoom in/out to the position of your cursor.

So if you see 0:30 to 0:00, hover over the 0:10 and then scroll, it will zoom into the 0:10 point.

Actual scrolling is done by clicking on the axis and dragging it.

When writing this.. It's basically like zoom and scroll on a touchscreen hehe.

Very cool when you're used to it, completely confusing at first, lol!

Anyway, should look like this:
1605707212630.png

Now when your Openhardwaremonitor looks like this, drive a little bit and then check what the plot shows.

Last edited:
Quick update,

I turned off any VSync and GSync settings in Nvidia Control Panel and in game (F1 2020). In theory, to let the game engine run as fast as it wants unrestricted or affected by outside influence.

I set F1 2020 game settings to 1440p on Ultra but with DLSS instead of TAA. I had to also set some kind of refresh rate setting in game at 240 Hz otherwise it was capping the frame rate at 144Hz. There may be a way of setting it up in game to run as fast as possible but I couldn't find it.

Anyway, I run the built in benchmark for Australia and got an average FPS around 210 FPS with1% low coming in at 158FPS. Much better than before! Seemed smooth so not sure I need to enable any GSync or Vsync when it's like this.

The frametimes were pretty good as well, not too much instability.

My two options are either a) adjust the settings down to achieve 1% lows as close to 240hz as possible or b) limit max frame rate to 144Hz with 1% lows also at 144Hz. These numbers seem crazy good to me, the fact that I can get it running in Ultra at 144Hz Average FPS and 1% lows.

Compared to what I had, I only had an RX580 8Gb running at 1440p internally downscaled to 1080p just achieving 60FPS before. I think I had graphics dialled down a bit, but to be fair, the F1 games are usually pretty good.

I have an I9@5Ghz, 32Gb 3600Mhz RAM, RTX3080 & 240Hz 1440p monitor.

I had an issue last night where I tried the Quake RTX demo (rubbish) and quit back to desktop. The colours and brightness of the screen dropped right down. I fiddled with the Windows HDR brightness adjuster and things came back to normal.

I do seem to get a bit of weirdness with the Windows HDR side of things. It seems to have an effect in F1 2020 but I'm not convinced if it is better with or without yet. It seems to make the image look overly contrast if that makes sense? More so when in direct sunlight behind other cars.

Quick update,

I turned off any VSync and GSync settings in Nvidia Control Panel and in game (F1 2020). In theory, to let the game engine run as fast as it wants unrestricted or affected by outside influence.

I set F1 2020 game settings to 1440p on Ultra but with DLSS instead of TAA. I had to also set some kind of refresh rate setting in game at 240 Hz otherwise it was capping the frame rate at 144Hz. There may be a way of setting it up in game to run as fast as possible but I couldn't find it.

Anyway, I run the built in benchmark for Australia and got an average FPS around 210 FPS with1% low coming in at 158FPS. Much better than before! Seemed smooth so not sure I need to enable any GSync or Vsync when it's like this.

The frametimes were pretty good as well, not too much instability.

My two options are either a) adjust the settings down to achieve 1% lows as close to 240hz as possible or b) limit max frame rate to 144Hz with 1% lows also at 144Hz. These numbers seem crazy good to me, the fact that I can get it running in Ultra at 144Hz Average FPS and 1% lows.

Compared to what I had, I only had an RX580 8Gb running at 1440p internally downscaled to 1080p just achieving 60FPS before. I think I had graphics dialled down a bit, but to be fair, the F1 games are usually pretty good.

I have an I9@5Ghz, 32Gb 3600Mhz RAM, RTX3080 & 240Hz 1440p monitor.

I had an issue last night where I tried the Quake RTX demo (rubbish) and quit back to desktop. The colours and brightness of the screen dropped right down. I fiddled with the Windows HDR brightness adjuster and things came back to normal.

I do seem to get a bit of weirdness with the Windows HDR side of things. It seems to have an effect in F1 2020 but I'm not convinced if it is better with or without yet. It seems to make the image look overly contrast if that makes sense? More so when in direct sunlight behind other cars.
It's like I thought, and I'm glad it worked out for you. I always let the system run as fast as it can, otherwise it's like driving a Ferrari with the handbrake on :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back