RSS Formula 79 John Player Special #5 & #6 1978

Skins RSS Formula 79 John Player Special #5 & #6 1978 1.0

Login or Register an account to download this content
Alman submitted a new resource:

Formula 79 John Player Special #5 1978 - Iconic livery of the glorious 70s

Team Lotus John Player Special 1978 season driven by Mario Andretti skin, for the Formula 79 by A3DR and Race Sim Studio.

The archive contain:

- Accurate 4K / 2K skins.
- Mario Andretti helmet, suit and gloves.

Y5v4XZ.jpg

In the next days, the number 6 car will be added, helmet and suit of Ronnie Peterson as well.

Please report any bug or skin inaccuracies.
Thanks and enjoy.

-Alman-

Read more about this resource...

Thank you...very good skin.....and after this you will be doing "my" skin the no.5
of RonniePeterson... my hero ! OK I´m 69 years old and have Always been a F 1
fanatic....

roffe

For the sake of accuracy checks; is this the #R3 chassis or the #R4? The restored cars differ somewhat in appearance and there may have been some alterations to sponsor logos etc during the 1978 season (not 100% sure on the latter though, need to check my references).
BTW, there are pictures online of the data placards from all remaining 79s in case you want to update that in a future version ;)

For the sake of accuracy checks; is this the #R3 chassis or the #R4? The restored cars differ somewhat in appearance and there may have been some alterations to sponsor logos etc during the 1978 season (not 100% sure on the latter though, need to check my references).
BTW, there are pictures online of the data placards from all remaining 79s in case you want to update that in a future version ;)
Do your own skin, if you're so critical of this one. :rolleyes:

Is based on #R4 (roughly), I will update the the mod including the car #6, if you could share your references, would be useful.

Thanks for support

Is based on #R4 (roughly), I will update the the mod including the car #6, if you could share your references, would be useful.

Thanks for support
You're welcome, Alman. I have some old Swedish car magazines with "never published elsewhere" pictures of the 79 in a drawer somewhere, if I find them I promise to share the scans :) Though I'm sure you'll find everything you need trough Google, or Racingsportscars.com. There's also some guy over on Deviantart with a massive gallery of hi res F1 photos from the 70s (and more): http://f1-history.deviantart.com/gallery/38377867/70s Plenty of nice closeups of all the 79s.
The R4 should match your skin pretty much as it is (both original and restored).
The main difference between R4 and R2 (Ronnie's car) is that the latter had a Polar logo on the roll bar, with some variation in appearance and placement. Gold at Jarama, white throughout the rest of the season. At some point (post Swedish GP) an additional, much smaller bear was added next to the logo. Possibly as an in joke but it was kept for the remainder of the season.
Classic Team Lotus' cars appeared at Goodwood some years ago in a mash up paint job with a gold Polar logo on the hump behind the roll bar on both #R2 and #R3 so images of those can be deceiving but they have been authentically restored in recent years.

For full disclosure; I had to eat my own words about differing decal placements between #R3 and #R4. It turned out to be an illusion on some low resolution images. My bad :) Still, at Spa, Andretti used Peterson's car (R2) with number 5 and a white polar bear below the cockpit, no JPS decals.

Last edited:
Sorry, messed up that last bit. It was at Zolder, not Spa. And the car had Valvoline + Polar logos below the cockpit, JPS on the sidepods. The roll bar was of the early configuration and all black. No drivers name. Phew, lots of details to keep track of :D I put together a zip with all images I could find on my hard drive (mostly from that DA album). Will keep digging for those magazines.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/12zkfdsc1z82pvl/Lotus 79.zip?dl=0

Last edited:
I saw them I thing, but I don't like without the JPS decals, there are to many variant anyway, no need to go crazy. :)
Ah, I get confused before about the chassis, my skin is based on the #R3, indeed the decals placements are the same to the #R4, the latter use different rims.
The Ronnie's car will be the R2 with Polar logo gold (the double one I think) on rollbar.
In the end I think we are there. ;)

Thanks

I saw them I thing, but I don't like without the JPS decals, there are to many variant anyway, no need to go crazy. :)
Ah, I get confused before about the chassis, my skin is based on the #R3, indeed the decals placements are the same to the #R4, the latter use different rims.
The Ronnie's car will be the R2 with Polar logo gold (the double one I think) on rollbar.
In the end I think we are there. ;)

Thanks
Anytime!
Yeah. It's enough to make you old isn't it? :) I think the early configuration had a very sleek look, but of course, the later JPS styling looks more iconic.

Just had a thought; is it possible to make the polar bears into a separate decal? If so, then you could include both white and gold variations.

Anytime!
Yeah. It's enough to make you old isn't it? :) I think the early configuration had a very sleek look, but of course, the later JPS styling looks more iconic.

Just had a thought; is it possible to make the polar bears into a separate decal? If so, then you could include both white and gold variations.

It's more lacking of time actually :)
For the Polar decal, it's not possible, it must be placed on the "main" body model for some reasons.
The only part where you can add the logo on that area is used for the electrical cut off decal.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.