rFactor 2: Progress? Progress!

Bram Hengeveld submitted a new blog post:

rFactor 2: Progress? Progress!

ISI announced today that they're still making progress but it's slower than expected and not working out as well as they'd like it to be. Gjon Camaj shared some details with the community on ISIForums.net.
Its been a while since our last update so I wanted provide some info on our progress. We were expecting to release an update many weeks ago but I asked that it include an auto skin transfer feature that had some...​

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got this for 30 pounds myself yesterday,
trouble is i wont play it that much,
waist of money im asing myself.
Have you downloaded all the cars and tracks?
Don't know how it is now, but when i got the game it was pretty "empty". But then i downloaded the cars and tracks on ISI forum and it became better. Still a lot of things to be made, but its better. Formula 2 is very nice, atm best one imo. In the future will probably be one of the best games available due to the mods and the awesome ISI's physics and handling. For now what i only dislike is that it was sold as Beta and clearly its an Alpha product, like pCARS. But still worth buying imho. :thumbsup:

yeah i have tons of tracks more than i know what to do with.
i find the online to be poor. no more than 10 people online at any one time.
driving the old 1960s cars is fun though.
If i new then what i know now i wouldnt of brought it.
having f1 2010 2011 2012 and gt5 on ps3 i dont really need this unfinished product.
im feeling a mug.

For me ISI did all wrong, like everybodys turning right and they go left.
Now these delay and lack of community support. Actually that post from Gjon was one of 2-3 we received since the verry beta start of rf2 12 month ago. I really just dont touch that game anymore since its gold somewhen in the next 2 years. I will look for assetto corsa and im pretty sure it will be great. Kunos FTW! :D

I buy a beta and then complain..

Seriously folks, its like a broken record..!! If you don't like it, don't bitch and moan - get your money back like ISI have offered from day 1.

I for one will pass judgement when it's at release stage..

Reactions: Tom
Actually thats what I love about ISI is that they go their own way which in the past at least resulted in very nice innovations that brought simracing forward.

I can imagine that for some its very annoying that they don't meet the deadline set for the beta period but on the other hand the development is still going on (in their own pace) and with ISI's proven track record from the past you can be sure that its worth the wait.

Actually thats what I love about ISI is that they go their own way which in the past at least resulted in very nice innovations that brought simracing forward.

I can imagine that for some its very annoying that they don't meet the deadline set for the beta period but on the other hand the development is still going on (in their own pace) and with ISI's proven track record from the past you can be sure that its worth the wait.
now replace ISI with iRacing :)
All games are going in the same direction...

I've not bothered with RF2 for a very long time, have they properly fixed the FFB yet so it doesn't tear my G25 to shreds?. I think there are a hell of a lot of people out there that won't go near RF2 with a barge pole until it's safe for their G25\27.

Compare what updates ISI have released in the last year with WMD, RF2 = 3(?), Pcars = at least 1 per week for the bottom tier.

I had the same concerns as you Eyghon, didn't want to wake up the entire block of neighbors while playing rF2 with my G27.

However after changing the FFB smoothing like KOT suggested above changed it all and ever since no more FFB issues anymore.

Still don't understand why this issue cannot be addressed quickly via a game update though.

I've not bothered with RF2 for a very long time, have they properly fixed the FFB yet so it doesn't tear my G25 to shreds?. I think there are a hell of a lot of people out there that won't go near RF2 with a barge pole until it's safe for their G2527.

Compare what updates ISI have released in the last year with WMD, RF2 = 3(?), Pcars = at least 1 per week for the bottom tier.
A friend of mine uses a G27 and he says he doens't have any problems. ISI added some sort of "filter"? Can't remember the name now as I don't use it.

As I understood it ISI have stated that it's not a "fault" that needs addressing, rather it's more the FFB model is designed and built for the High-end belt driven wheels?, so the "Filter" is not a "Fix", it just dumbs it down or masks the FFB doesn't it?, by doing that they must surely be alienating the vast majority of users (like myself) that use G25\27.

Some recently released "Sims", WRC for example were released with nothing more than a rumble or two and no Split-Axis etc, ISI seem to have gone completely in the opposite direction and built RF2 for the uber high-end wheels and sod anything below those wheels.

Having said that I will give RF2 another go using the Filter option, the litmus test is whether I get a smack round the side of the head before finishing a lap of Spa, a red ear along with a ringing in said ear means the Dragon couldn't hear her Soaps downstairs and probably got shaken off the sofa, spilling her pint to boot.

I had the same concerns as you Eyghon, didn't want to wake up the entire block of neighbors while playing rF2 with my G27.

However after changing the FFB smoothing like KOT suggested above changed it all and ever since no more FFB issues anymore.

Still don't understand why this issue cannot be addressed quickly via a game update though.
You can change the FFB smoothing in-game now though. I don't think there's a single solution to this, as belt-driven wheels react differently to spikes and are ok without smoothing. I guess the belt itself gives some complience/smoothing in the link between wheel and FFB motor.

In order to not disassemble your table/cockpit you have to dull down the on-track FFB. It fixes the problem by creating another (though less obvious).

I personally hate noise, I had to go too far with filtering until I found the off-track acceptable, by then normal driving felt quite 'spongy'.

IMHO, they are dismissing this problem and not giving a very neat solution. ISI might regret this one day.

I fail to see what was the need of giving such rough feedback off-track. Even if some wheel models stand it, it is not that you are going to explore the limits of grip with half a car on the grass while the wheel tries to chop your fingers off. I also fail to see how hard can it be to filter _only_ the FFB associated to off-road signal.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.