rFactor 2 Officially Released on Steam

Probably we'll have to see how the whole steam thing washes out, I never did the GSCE steam thing
and they haven't knocked on my door yet. :D

FYI, multiple installs can still be done with Steam. I still need to write a guide on that but there is one for rFactor 1 on Steam and the mechanism is the same. Add a launch option that points to a different config.ini which points to a different path.

Great! I've a few installs for different purposes.

But what about different builds? Some leagues want to stay or revert to a older build. :(

If you read my answer above, @Gijs van Elderen, you can probably figure out that if you make a copy of a certain build that copy will work, and it won't update automatically since Steam is not aware of where such copies are on your harddrive.

That said, making a copy only works if a build is actually released on Steam, so you cannot participate in leagues like SimHQ and VEC that currently use build 946 as long as they don't upgrade. Both, incidentally, are in the beta testing program and I'm talking to them about testing and migrating.

In the end the best solution is if everybody can always use the latest build. That puts a certain responsibility on ISI to ensure that new builds don't break existing features, and also a responsibility on the community to report any issues (especially showstoppers) quickly. Steam makes upgrading easy, so that is no issue anymore.

If you read my answer above, @Gijs van Elderen, you can probably figure out that if you make a copy of a certain build that copy will work, and it won't update automatically since Steam is not aware of where such copies are on your harddrive.

Thanx for the info. So there is a possibility for leagues to start a league in a certain build and remain in that build until the league is over or update to a next build if it's proven reliable for them.

Another question. :)
Is it possible to update that copy manually by clicking on the update button in the launcher. Like we update our non steam install?

I am super confused. I own the game but some friends asked and i am not sure what to tell them.

There are 2 options , as always.

If you see on their page -> http://rfactor.net/web/2015/11/12/rfactor-2-now-available-on-steam/
It says :

What are your options if you are new to rFactor 2?

You can buy rFactor 2 on Steam here:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/365960/

rFactor 2 = offline only
rFactor 2 Lifetime = offline/multiplayer/no subscription required
Online Services = Adds 1 year multiplayer to offline

At the same time here it says : http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/rfactor2-purchase/

price.png

So my question is : buying the 17.99€ option, will this inlude also 1 year free online services?

Last edited:
Another question. :)
Is it possible to update that copy manually by clicking on the update button in the launcher. Like we update our non steam install?

No, the only option I see is to move files around. Say your official copy is in a folder called "rFactor2" and you made a copy to "rFactor2-1" then just swap those folders so the copy becomes the official one and you can then use Steam to update it (and then swap back). Not really an officially supported solution but it will probably work.

In case you're interested in some of the features of the Steam version and some other background information: http://www.planetmarrs.net/rfactor-2-on-steam/

Marcel you seem to be the one to ask as you did all (most?!) of the hard graft to make the Steam version work :)

In future could there be a way to just have a similar "lite Install" on Steam whilst all the ISI 'Content' is available as Optional Downloads? I know this may be the way Steam does things and probably the way it's supposed to work so just wondering if anything can be done that I'm not aware of. Like making the Core of the Game the Main download and have Content as Free DLC so people grab what they want then that stays up to date after they install it.

As funny as it is I simply don't have the space to install the Steam version now then have the game download *all* the ISI content and then have the 3rd party content I want (new SSD is not going to happen anytime soon).
Add to that I'm one of those people that doesn't like clutter on my SSD and I'd hate to have gigs of space taken up by things I'll never use, plus this may also represent an issue to those on Limited Bandwidth providers (not me fortunately), ok they/me don't have to move to Steam now of course but eventually we probably will, but the point remains valid.

Anyway Many Thanks for the hard work getting it on Steam, even though I'm not currently going to benefit from it I appreciate it must be a ball ache but quite satisfying that you're On there now :)

In future could there be a way to just have a similar "lite Install" on Steam whilst all the ISI 'Content' is available as Optional Downloads? I know this may be the way Steam does things and probably the way it's supposed to work so just wondering if anything can be done that I'm not aware of. Like making the Core of the Game the Main download and have Content as Free DLC so people grab what they want then that stays up to date after they install it.

The funny thing is, I actually started out making the Steam version a "lite install" of rFactor 2 and having all the ISI content in workshop items. When we started testing this approach, we soon got feedback that this was not giving people a good first impression of rFactor 2 as they were basically getting an "empty shell".

Our second prototype then added a mechanism that automatically subscribed people to all the ISI content in the workshop through the Launcher. When testing that, people were complaining that they had just downloaded rFactor 2 (the lite version) and now had to wait for a long time again before they could actually play it (the content is a much bigger download than the lite installer as you know).

That led us to our third prototype, which is actually what we've released now, where we used a small trick where we have a "cache" folder that contains the actual ISI content, and workshop items that users can still subscribe to and unsubscribe from that actually reference the content in this cache. This had the benefit that after the initial download, users did not have to wait any more and you could still unsubscribe from content you did not want to use. The only downside is the cache folder, which remains on disk. We considered that a fair trade-off given that harddisk space is cheap nowadays (not true for SSD disk space but you could still put rFactor 2 on a traditional harddisk).

I'm telling this story not because it's still up for discussion, but to give some insight into the thought process we followed. I hope you appreciate that.

As a practical solution, the best thing I can offer you is to buy a harddisk next to your SSD (or even a memory stick). You install all your Steam games on the SSD (for speed) and when rFactor 2 has finished installing, unsubscribe from all the workshop items you don't need so they will be uninstalled (that already frees up space) and then move the "cache" folder to your harddisk or memory stick for safe keeping. That will free up more space. The only downside is that when Steam updates the installation, it will restore the cache folder. So if you turn off automatic updates, you can prevent this from happening and when there really is an update you can copy back the "cache" folder to your SSD, run the update, and then remove the "cache" folder again. You can probably automate that. It will would require you to leave enough space for the cache folder (or you would have to move other stuff when putting back the cache folder) but at least it saves you from buying a bigger or second SSD.

I'm telling this story not because it's still up for discussion, but to give some insight into the thought process we followed. I hope you appreciate that.

Marcel thank you very much for the explanation it's very much appreciated, that's a very detailed outline to what you have achieved and I fully understand the process now and the reasoning. Again I'm not overly fussed about installing the Steam version (no need really) any time soon but your idea of an external HDD in the meantime is intriguing but not something I'll do personally, but it may help others.
Thanks again :)

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • More leagues

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • Prizes

Votes: 10 16.9%
  • Trophies

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • Forum trophies