RF2 Slow to load

Paul Glover

I talk lots
Since yesterday RF2 is slow to load, sometimes not responding. Eventually kicks in, the game is fine once up and running.

Anyone else experiencing this all of a sudden?

And you did not just install a new virus scanner or something similar that interferes with files loading? I'm just guessing here obviously. Also, can we get some objective numbers on what you consider slow. Like how many seconds from pressing the single player icon in the launcher to the main menu? And then selecting car X track Y how long until the track is fully loaded? Just so we have something to work with.

I find that rF2 just gradually slows down over time for some reason. Both the time the game takes to load, the time it takes for the track to load, and especially the time it takes for a replay to load. Even from an SSD. It might have something to do with the amount of packages installed, but it seems like it is not just that. I was quite happy with how snappy the game got once I got an SSD for it a few months back, but it slowly got worse and worse to the point where it now seemingly responds just as slow as it used to.

I measured how long it took for the game to load the Le Mans track just last week from clicking the Race button in the menu to the game showing me the monitor screen. If I remember correctly, it was around 3 minutes and 15 seconds. Ryzen 2600 at 3.9 GHz, 16 GB of RAM, OS on an SSD, game on a different SSD. Nothing much going on in the background.

When I try to load a replay (not just Le Mans), the game just sits there seemingly doing nothing for like a minute or two before it even shows the loading screen.

I will get some actual numbers.

And you did not just install a new virus scanner or something similar that interferes with files loading? I'm just guessing here obviously. Also, can we get some objective numbers on what you consider slow. Like how many seconds from pressing the single player icon in the launcher to the main menu? And then selecting car X track Y how long until the track is fully loaded? Just so we have something to work with.

Not installed anything since, it's minutes rather than seconds Marcel. I'll time it later when I am back on my PC, like I say the game appears to freeze for sometime. This is before be able to select the car

I find that rF2 just gradually slows down over time for some reason. Both the time the game takes to load, the time it takes for the track to load, and especially the time it takes for a replay to load. Even from an SSD. It might have something to do with the amount of packages installed, but it seems like it is not just that. I was quite happy with how snappy the game got once I got an SSD for it a few months back, but it slowly got worse and worse to the point where it now seemingly responds just as slow as it used to.

I measured how long it took for the game to load the Le Mans track just last week from clicking the Race button in the menu to the game showing me the monitor screen. If I remember correctly, it was around 3 minutes and 15 seconds. Ryzen 2600 at 3.9 GHz, 16 GB of RAM, OS on an SSD, game on a different SSD. Nothing much going on in the background.

When I try to load a replay (not just Le Mans), the game just sits there seemingly doing nothing for like a minute or two before it even shows the loading screen.

I will get some actual numbers.

My issue is loading the initial menu to select the car in multi-player or track etc in single player.

Ok. Uninstalled and then realised it was downloading so much data as due to workshop items, deleted again and unsubscribed.

Now loading in seconds!
I'd love to have some "temporal" mod/data folder with the new ui. Or just improved loading times ofc.

But it would be nice, if it's not improvable, to stay subscribed, content being kept up to date but then being able to "put it on the reserve list" basically.

Selecting the content that will be available in the game in the launcher before starting the game.

With the steam workshop search and overview... I don't like to unsubscribe from stuff I'm generally interested in. I won't find it again :roflmao:

I'd love to have some "temporal" mod/data folder with the new ui. Or just improved loading times ofc.

But it would be nice, if it's not improvable, to stay subscribed, content being kept up to date but then being able to "put it on the reserve list" basically.

Selecting the content that will be available in the game in the launcher before starting the game.

With the steam workshop search and overview... I don't like to unsubscribe from stuff I'm generally interested in. I won't find it again :roflmao:

I’ll be honest, this was frustrating experience as my in game display settings have changed so getting it to run smooth in VR again.

I had unsubscribed from he VR HUD that I use (oops), found again and now marked it as a favourite in Steam just in case I need to do this again.

Was up late last night and will resume again later today to get things how I like.

PC gaming eh....

Well, if I may hijack the thread for a bit more, despite it being clear Paul had some other issue (shame we never found out what it was), I did some testing on my own as promised. Three attempts except when stated otherwise, run back to back without restarting the game. I should also add that following last week, I did some "spring cleaning" in the meantime, trying to get the game respond better and uninstall some unnecessary content, which seem to have helped a bit and the loading times are now indeed somewhat shorter that they were. But I don't really want to remove more content at this point.

Starting the game - from clicking the single player button to the main screen:

46 s average, worst case 52 s (first run)

Loading a Le Mans race with 20 GTE AI cars - from clicking the Race button to the monitor screen:

2:29 average, worst case 2:39 (first run)

Loading Le Mans race replay, 2 laps, 20 GTE AI cars - from clicking the Load replay button to replay start:

3:46 average, worst case 3:46 - each time with exactly 1 minute before the loading screen would even show

Loading Le Mans replay multiclass 30 GTE+LMP2 AI cars, 35 minutes:

4:14 (only did one attempt at this as I was getting bored ;) ) - again exactly 1 minute before the loading screen would even show

And finally, to try something "lighter" than Le Mans - Loading Zandvoort multiclass race with 30 GT3+LMP2 cars:

2:35 average, worst case 2:38 (second run)

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea