Reverb G2 shimmer & 'moving' textures - Help with settings

Hi all,

First, thanks to the community for getting me this far. I'm really impressed with all that the community and this game have to offer.

I have been working off of a number of different setup guides trying to dial in my Reverb G2 and while I seem to be able to get good FPS I haven't been able to get rid of what I consider to be shimmering. From my understanding this is likely related to antialiasing but I'm not sure and no settings seem to be improving it. I haven't seen this degree of issue on other videos. It's showing up in single screen but when I put on VR it makes it almost unbearable. The worst example I have is loading up LA Canyons and it looks like the road is swimming around. See the video below for what I'm experiencing. The guardrails and curbs in SPA basically do the same thing making it really distracting/disorienting and when driving past the buildings the whole thing looks like it's rippling. I have seen comments about how you can't completely get rid of this but what I'm experiencing seems extreme. Even running single screen it's a distraction but like I noted, in VR it's pretty much unbearable. These are a couple quick examples just to show the issue and probably not optimal, but I can make others to help troubleshoot just let me know where to start.

Another example...sorry for all the shaking but the issue is most visible on the stitching on the dash. The gauges also show issues.

I have tried tweaking just about every setting in Assetto Corsa video and CSP graphics adjustments and I haven't noticed anything impacting this. I feel like I must be missing something simple here so any nudge in the right direction is appreciated.

System specs:
  • Ryzen 9 5900x
  • 32 GB RAM
  • RTX 3080 (Nvidia game ready driver 512.59
  • Win 11 Pro

Nvidia control panel - Assetto Corsa program settings:
  • Anisotropic filtering 16x
  • MFAA On
  • Power management max performance
  • Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias Allow (have also tried clamp but see no difference)
  • Texture filtering - High quality (have tried quality but see no difference

Assetto Corsa:
  • 1920x1080, 60 Hz
  • Limit framerate 90FPS
  • MSAA 4X
  • AF Off
  • World details max
  • Shadow res 512x512
  • Smoke medium
  • Reflections: 1024x1024 (sometimes set lower)
  • 2 faces/frame
  • Rendering distance 2400m
  • PP: Enabled, A3PP filter (I have tried Sol Extra and natrual mode and turning PP off but no impact on the issue)
  • FXAA
  • Mirrors 256x1024
CSP: v0.1.78-preview1
  • Turned on some CPU and GPU optimizations
  • Graphics adjustments: AMDFSR Active, ultra quality, have tried Sharpness new 50%, 75%
  • LOD setting for track 100%, have tried as low as 40% to see if I could impact this but no luck
Steam SS set at 100% (have tried lower with no impact on the issue)

Thanks for the help,
-B

Have you got the new "dds loader" ticked in CM general patch settings? If you have untick it and try again. Like a lot of CSP's "new" features they are bugged. Let me know if it helps as I just tried it with my G2 ticked and unticked and with the dds loader off the textures didn't shimmer

Thank You!

That was the issue. I still have more shimmer on guardrails than I would like but that cleaned up the crazy moving textures. I knew I had to be missing something simple. Now back to reducing the shimmer that seems to be pretty standard.

Much appreciated.
-B

• Deleted member 1066209

The solution to VR pixel shimmer is to increase the supersampling resolution. If your GPU is maxed out, then you'll likely need to upgrade it. You can also consider lowering other GPU-intensive settings, such as shadows, reflections, particles, post-processing, etc. to compensate for the increased SS resolution.

After I've increased my SS resolution to 150%, I no longer notice any pixel shimmer on the guardrails in LAC. I actually haven't looked carefully enough to determine whether it's been fully eliminated, but it has certainly been a major improvement. Now, the only place where I notice pixel shimmer is around the lights in a specific tunnel in Shutoko Revival Project.

I did have the same problems like you in VR, even did stop playing AC because of the bad quality, especially the shimmering.

I think the key is to concentrate on what you dislike first, then try to understand what the influence of every CM adjustment is on this game. If you do not see the predicted improvement only an negative impact on the FPS, then leave it. Try to find the real major settings, the ones you clearly see. Here some sample of what all those adjustments in CM do.

Second is that I suppose there is a split in tracks for mainly monitor or VR use. From my pov some 5star tracks are prone to shimmering, using different resolution objects besides each other, facing lack of depth, etc etc, while others track makers seems to do much better. I know one respected 5star track maker did admit he did not own a VR headset, while his tracks are indeed spoiled with shimmer on; flagpoles, fences, overhead cables and his tarmac thats looks more as an flat purple sheet.
Think its just a matter of testing tracks in VR whilekeeping the good ones and of course its all about your taste.
BTW on car mods you do see the same.

one remark: set the specific AC adjustments in Nvidia control panel to “application controlled” all to avoid conflicts with the ingame adjustments.

Last edited:
Thank You!

That was the issue. I still have more shimmer on guardrails than I would like but that cleaned up the crazy moving textures. I knew I had to be missing something simple. Now back to reducing the shimmer that seems to be pretty standard.

Much appreciated.
-B
I'd look at using the openXR toolkit and the opencomposite mod that allows you to bypass steam completely, as steam seems to decrease clarity a lot of the time. You may not see a massive uptick in performance (opencomposite works miracles in ACC mind you) but you will see a boost to clarity without needing to super sample more which helps with texture shimmering..

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea