Ready to build new after 10years

i am in the USA

Its been 10 years since I built my top of the line PC, water cooled, dual Sli cards, 32gb RAM and 1TB SSD + addition SSD And RAID, triple 22” monitor. Basic rig Logitech...used to iracing.com and was one of early supporters of Project Cars. At that time I used to track and AutoX for real...took and break from that and hobbies shifted.

I am now getting back into SimRacing and wife has given permission to build new rig in a dedicated room.

I am amazed how much things have changed and basically know nothing. So I am here to learn, make a list and start putting things together..I was amazed to learn today that we now have wind simulators...whats next rain simulators ...lol

Any way, initial one day search I am thinking of starting with

1. SimXperience Stage 3, with traction loss and diamond plate floor
2. SimX GS5 seat
3. Steering not sure
4. Pedals not sure
5. Triple monitor stand - Fast Track sims
6. Monitors - thinking curved 27-35”..not sure which
7. Use current pc for now then upgrade graphic cards/pc later..still runs pretty good

What else do I need besides recommendations on above...what new gizmos are there?
I am looking to splurge and setup for next 10years...don’t want to upgrade every year but in 5-10years if I am still interested. Looking for top of the line recommendations.

Welcome to sim racing. I, too, came from the real racing world (125cc shifter Karts and Formula Ford). One bad crash + getting older and sims became my go-to for my racing fix.

Some great suggestions here. I'd add a few. Don't discount the NLR v3 seat mover. It's a great enty into motion, and feels super, especially in VR. These can be had for ~$2k on the used market, and they're truly plug-n-play. The NLR software is first-rate, and adjustments are very easy. I'd add a direct drive wheel to this (any of them will work great), and personally, I much prefer the feel of hydraulic pedals over the load cell. The HPP 3P-PRX pedals are highly tunable, and you can set the firmness of the brake by swapping out rubber inserts on the slave cylinder. This is my preferred pedal, it most closely matches what I used to feel on the real track cars.

The P1 is a fantastic chassis, but it has limited option for pedal mounting. You might want to consider the GT-1 EVO; it has more options for pedal mounting, is still plenty strong for motion/DD wheels, and is lighter weight, which can be a factor in a full motion system. Any of the SimLab chassis will take the NLR v3 if you go that route.

Not much mention here of VR yet. This is the future of SimRacing, and even the gen 1 setups (Occulus Rift, etc.) with motion + DD + good pedals are just amazing to drive. It really does feel very close to the real thing. Good luck, welcome, and have fun!

Upvote 0
Thank you - I would not be doing VR - it gives me headaches even too much Xbox now a days can give me headaches unlike when I was younger :)
learning so much
I will be doing DD steering and hydraulic pedals for sure that is the easy part.

Upvote 0
I'd suggest taking a step back just because you are eager, excited, and may need a cooling off period.

Lots of people here have opinions on what is the best, but in many cases there are more than one answer and something may work better for you than something else.

Keep flushing out ideas and look around to see what other people have done.

What are your goals for this rig once it is built?

BTW I'm about 10K into my rig, and it has been a work in progress with hardly a few weeks going by without some change. Most recently I added a Pro Sim H pattern sifter because I like to row gears. It's an amazing piece of kit. However some people don't even use a clutch pedal and race primarily with paddle shifters.

My rig satisfies my needs well, but isn't necessarily a perfect fit for others.

Just based on your comment about sleep makes me think you may be rushing into thinks a bit.

My two cents, worth the paper they're printed on.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea