RDRC S9 Round 1 - Rally Monte Carlo (1st February - 7th February 2021)

In game, 30 seconds...
In real rallying.. i spent 4 hours waiting for a jack here :p

View attachment 442491

Nah. Maybe offline with a fully upgraded Phil Mills (or was that DiRT 4 and upgraded Grist? Ooor was it DR1 and an upgraded Coleman? I don't really play offline...). But it is 1 min online!

With that being said, 4 ours for a Jack (@Jack Hintz ?)? That was a quick flight! :p

Haha, live and learn. I was hoping driving my van down the back roads of co. cavan on monday and tuesday would be enough to prepare me for the trials of monte carlo :)

Apart from my inexperience with punctures the steepest learning curve was that the snow/ice on the tarmac was not just decoration! The torque steer or whatever you call in pulled me into the wall a few times early on..

Should all stand to me going to sweeden and if not there's always next year :D

So how did my first leg go?

All good until Stage 4. Puncture at the start of the stage. Ended up being quickest in the last splits. Game crash after the finish line. I apparently DNF'd despite finishing.

God I hate DR2 and Codemasters.

God damn.png

So I've managed to make it through the first half of this treacherous rally.

SS1/SS2/SS3 - Very happy with my pace on the dry tarmac. Gave it a good attack and even managed to put in some green sectors.

SS4 - Yes, with my dry tire choice I knew this stage would be hairy and I would lose heaps of time on the snow. Ironically the part where I spun and lost 10-12 seconds was on dry tarmac. There's this right hander over a small crest after slightly more than half the stage that always catches me off guard. This time too :rolleyes:

SS5 - Went fairly well. I did have a technical issue where the throttle only giving me 70%. Im not sure at what point that happened though as I noticed it in the replay afterwards. Don't think I lost more than a couple of seconds tops.

SS6 - This one felt good as well. Unreal time set by that crazy Estonian up front though. Far off the pace. :p

KbeUsuH.png

9fwF9Ok.png

4WmDl3U.png

Finished my rally and got it to the end at least. 11th in RDRC2 at time of writing but that's likely to change. Took winter tyres for the first day and really struggled on them, puncture in SS2 cost me time and just felt slow overall on the first day. Much happier in the snowy stuff later on in the rally although a penalty for a slow (very slow!) knock into some spectators when I slid on some ice cost me time along with a couple of very daft spins.

Happy though and I really enjoyed the stages, particularly day 2 in the night!

Never driven a km at the Monte, so I was curious how it would go. Did 3-4 small test runs on the small stage we'd drive first to get a feeling for the rally.

I chose normal tyres to start and was surprised with my speed at first:

S1 + S2
Great pace, 2nd overall. Really smooth so far

S3
Did a few smaller mistakes, still a great rally so far and much fun. 12 seconds behind P1 at that point.

S4
Ok, the last part was difficult with my tyre choice, lost lots of ground there

Service 1:
No damage thus far, chose the winter tyres from now on

S5-S6
Pace was okay, solidifying my place in the upper midfield.

S7
Awesome sector times, but then I did my first mistake and it was a bad one. Slid into the edge of a wall, unfortunately lots of damage (radiator, chassis, geometry, suspension) and lost a tyre. But: I couldnt change it somehow. Had to drive the last snowy uphill part with three wheels. Still lost less than a minute on that stage, which I found quite satisfying under these circumstances.

S8
Magically the tyre was now changed - so I definitely had a spare one with me, but couldnt change... But i had other problems, the radiator problem overheated my car and resulted in engine and gearbox problems. The engine wasnt running smoothly anymore. But i still drove the 5th fastest time on that stage - which was a great moment for me.

Service 2:
No damage? Hah. I couldnt nearly repair everything and got a time penalty.

S9
Despite small fixing on several parts, the engine had problems pretty early on again. Unfortunate with four difficult stages ahead. The pace was impossible to keep up with that car.

S10
The car wouldnt want to be fast anymore, but I had found a nice groove over the last stages. A really good flow. But... I did my second mistake of the rally. Really similar to the one before. Im not sure, if it was the same section, as i quickly wanted to forget it. But teh scene was similar: Left corner, tighter than expected/than what Ive heard and a wall at teh exit on the right hand side. Understeered again, but this time not into the wall, but beside it. Slipping slooowly down. Gently. I think I might have been able to reverse, but DiRT said, that the car was lost. DNF.

What a shame... consistency is key and normally that is my stronger side. That was frustrating as hell, but up until that point lots of fun. 1:0 for @Aidan Keranen

I am absolutely gutted.

Last edited:
Go @Roy Magnes! You can pull it off. To gain some motivation I can recommend watching this video to everybody who contemplates about retiring early, look at Juha driving that wrecked Celica. :D
OMG that video is fupping brilliant stuff! Best quote: "car looks like a bag of crisps" :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
In game, 30 seconds...
In real rallying.. i spent 4 hours waiting for a jack here :p
Yikes. Didn't feel like improvising with a piece of tree? ;)
One minute in real rallying too, confirmed by your fellow neighbour Pontus in Portugal:
Speedy change indeed! Looks like he's not too bothered about getting sand all over his wheel studs though :confused::p

Never driven a km at the Monte, so I was curious how it would go. Did 3-4 small test runs on the small stage we'd drive first to get a feeling for the rally.

S1 + S2

S3
Did a few smaller mistakes, still a great rally so far and much fun. 12 seconds behind P1 at that point.

S4

Service 1:

S5-S6

S7
Awesome sector times, but then I did my first mistake and it was a bad one. Slid into the edge of a wall, unfortunately lots of damage (radiator, chassis, geometry, suspension) and lost a tyre. But: I couldnt change it somehow. Had to drive the last snowy uphill part with three wheels. Still lost less than a minute on that stage, which I found quite satisfying under these circumstances.

S8
Magically the tyre was now changed - so I definitely had a spare one with me, but couldnt change... But i had other problems, the radiator problem overheated my car and resulted in engine and gearbox problems. The engine wasnt running smoothly anymore. But i still drove the 5th fastest time on that stage - which was a great moment for me.

Service 2:

S9
Despite small fixing on several parts, the engine had problems pretty early on again. Unfortunate with four difficult stages ahead. The pace was impossible to keep up with that car.

S10
The car wouldnt want to be fast anymore, but I had found a nice groove over the last stages. A really good flow. But... I did my second mistake of the rally. Really similar to the one before. Im not sure, if it was the same section, as i quickly wanted to forget it. But teh scene was similar: Left corner, tighter than expected/than what Ive heard and a wall at teh exit on the right hand side. Understeered again, but this time not into the wall, but beside it. Slipping slooowly down. Gently. I think I might have been able to reverse, but DiRT said, that the car was lost. DNF.

What a shame... consistency is key and normally that is my stronger side. That was frustrating as hell, but up until that point lots of fun. 1:0 for @Aidan Keranen

I am absolutely gutted.
You'll bounce back mate, great pace you've had that rally :thumbsup: :inlove: :cry:

S1 + S2

S3

S4

Service 1:

S5-S6

S7

S8

Service 2:

S9

S10

I am absolutely gutted.

Unlucky, an error in the wrong place can really punish you on track, other times you just hit a soft snow bank and carry on. I had a really clean first 2 stages, taking it handy now. Then like bambi I locked up the brakes and slid straight into the end of the left hand side wall going over the bridge, less that 100m from the finish of s2. Radiator gone and the whole nose of the car dented in. Fair play to the lads pushing hard and not writing the car off.

My car after the tow to the service area.

FatherTed2.jpg

Last edited:
So the second loop is done; a few more hits and scratches than on the first one but luckily I still had a couple of headlights working for the night stages.

Got to service and manage to do a standard fix on everything with a few seconds to spare, to my relief... but...

Yesterday I finished SS4 and had 54 seconds of bodywork to fix. Today when I launched the game and wanted to continue the rally, I was again in service but the damage had gone down from 54 seconds to 32 seconds :O_o::O_o::O_o::O_o::O_o:

Meanwhile I was watching @CapitaoJiboia drive yesterday and today, and the opposite happened to him: once he picked up the rally where he had left yesterday after SS4, the car was much more damaged and the repair times were much higher.:poop:

Is this a known bug? Should we just drive one stage to avoid this happening? how is the damage carried over?

Yeah, I also noticed that. Drove the first three stages without a scratch. Next day when I loaded SS4 my front looked like I've had a head on collision :O_o:

Didn't feel any performance damage though..

Is this a known bug? Should we just drive one stage to avoid this happening? how is the damage carried over?

Yes, there's an absurd situation were when you resume a rally where you had damage before (going back to main menu then back to free play), the way it's presented on the body can be random according to its %, and doesn't match exactly how it was before according to previous crashes. In many cases, in a car with just slight body damage you can end up resuming a stage with a broken windshield you never had before.

Last edited:
Finished the rest of the stages this morning, SS5 was a bit scrappy and unfortunately had to change a tyre on SS6 after a few slides into the walls and armco. Thankfully no major incidents through the rest of the stages and so far provisionally 10th in class, not sure I would have been able to beat Joakim and Paul Morgan even without the puncture so can't be too hard on myself for the mistake.

Really great fun - can't wait for Sweden already!

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.