RD GT Championship 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
yep, had the same problem too before I allotted an extra 30 gb or so to my c: drive and finally managed to get an absolutely perfect defrag (x-times over). That solved that problem for me. Now it's black screens (s.a.) wonder what is worse ...

had a great race with Danny,Tim and towards the end Warren, I was in 8th place just in front of Warren and coming to the line when my screen froze and I mean right on the line so I don't know if I finished 8th or not but it doesn't really matter had a great nights racing

Yep, you finished 8th David, you crossed the line before you were dumped. :good:

I came into this race with low hopes, every practice session I had done for the last three days ended with a huge PC freeze followed by a graphical mess. So I turned all of my PC and game graphics down to almost minimum in the hope of surviving 2 hours. Miraculously, I finished.
Qualified ok in P8, enabling me to slot into my favourite spot as tail gunner for Jari.
The race ended up being very lonely for me though, as soon as the race was under way, the group in front slowly pulled away, and the group behind slowly fell further behind. Maybe all that solo driving helped to keep my connection stable. I must have been taking it too easy though, as my fuel and tyres held up much better than I expected, which threw my pitstop strategy out the window. At one stage, I even had the race lead so my pitstop was obviously later than most of the others. After more lonely driving (apart from the odd lapping of another car) in P8, I managed to get myself totally confused and made a monumental cock up of the second pitstiop. I still had lots of fuel left, so I decided to adjust it to less top up, but like an idiot, forgot to hit confirm. After sitting for an eternity, I woke up and gave the crew permission to fill the car and change the tyres. DOH! That dropped me one spot to P9, so I pushed a bit harder towards the end to see if I could gain some time on David, which I did but not fast enough. Finished P9, but at least I finished. :)

Congratulations to Patrick for the overall championship.

I originally entered this League purely as a learning experience for these GTC cars, but I really enjoyed it. The quality of the racing was first class, extremely clean, and lots of different winners.
Special thanks to my teammate Jari for all his help in teaching me how to drive the Viper, I was actually enjoying it in the end.
Big thanks to RD staff for the organisation of this League, the most successful I have experienced. Thanks to all the "clubbers" for a great friendly spirit in every race. :handshake:

Damian ... those 7 series Nvidias I believe are rumoured to be rather errrmmm .... "troublesome" may I say politely.
I had a 7600 in my laptop which went pop and took the hdd with it ... luckily they stuck an 8600GS and new hdd in its place :D ... but that couldn't bring back the data loss we suffered :(

Damian ... those 7 series Nvidias I believe are rumoured to be rather errrmmm .... "troublesome" may I say politely.
I had a 7600 in my laptop which went pop and took the hdd with it ... luckily they stuck an 8600GS and new hdd in its place :D ... but that couldn't bring back the data loss we suffered :(

Lee, it was a 8800GTS , but I went a bit mad last year when overclocking and pushed it a bit to much and damaged the memory, it hung in there and still did the job apart from those freezes and graphics messed up in some races.

Today was on my backup 7600GT, and for the first time in ages I had a race without a single problem! Or though it did suck with no shadows and medium settings...

I'm sitting with an 8600GT 256Mb DDR3 card... maybe time to upgrade again or reduce the graphics levels when racing... don't want to invest too heavily on the machine at this point, promised myself a major upgrade for Christmas this year... i7 or Phenom II based machine... time will tell though. :)

RDGTC 2008/09 - Season Review

GT Frenzy at RaceDepartment

Seven Rounds, Three Classes, One Championship and many, many drivers. RaceDepartment’s GT Championship 2008 had all the ingredients for a spicy competition. And ‘spicy’ it was!

GT Pro – “Domination… What’s that?”
In the GT Pro class, the fastest of the three, one man ruled supreme. Sander Hogendoorn (NLD), driving for Team Lizard, left no doubts as to what driver would become champion: he won four of the seven races in his Audi R8 GT Concept, scored four pole positions and held the fastest race lap each time he scored victory. He had achieved this already by the time the circus moved to France for the sixth race at Magny-Cours, were the four points Hogendoorn scored sufficed to secure the championship before the final event in Germany. Closer was the battle for second. Initially Marcin Skrzypczak (POL) of Eastern Riders held seconds position, being the only one to stay close to the Lizard drivers in his Aston Martin DBR9, but as the season progressed Rami Kaukola (FIN) of Roaring Pipes Maniacs – Wild Vikings got closer and eventually passed Skrzypczak by scoring a series of second places (five in row) with a Lister Storm. Skrzypczak fought back, winning at Magny-Cours, but failed to finish ahead of Kaukola in the final round at the Nürburgring GP circuit and thus fell short four points for second place in the championship. Hogendoorn claimed the championship title and thus put more weight to the word of those that call him ‘the Alien’.
The team championship at first seemed to be for Team Lizard and Team Lizard alone. They got a head start by scoring a 1-2, the pole position and the fastest lap in the first two events. However the tide turned when Lizard driver Marko Hartikainen (FIN) mysteriously disappeared from the scene. Thus RPM – WV took over with Kaukola steadily around the top positions and Peter Eriksson (SWE) never far behind they managed to pass Lizard that had to rely on Hogendoorn’s results alone. Skrzypczak’s team (Eastern Riders) came in third. He managed this nearly all by himself, though their second driver, Jacek Kozlowski (POL) scored some points as well.

RDGTC GT Pro - Championship Standings and Results

GT Sport – “The Alien has family…”
A first look at the final championship standings of the GT ‘middle class’ would tell you it was a close call. But appearances deceive… Like the GT Pro championship, the GT Sport championship was the terrain of one man and oen man only: Tim Hogendoorn (NLD) of TH Racing Holland in a Spyker C8 Spyder GT2R. This Hogendoorn scored three victories, four pole positions and six fastest race laps. He did not win as much as his bother did in GT Pro, but nonetheless he claimed his title before his brother could. At Istanbul, the fifth event of the season, he took the crown in a majestic way. The competition was left to watch from a 30-second distance how Hogendoorn scored the win, the fastest race lap and with it the championship title. The fact that he did not finish in the last two races can be discarded as unimportant. Behind Hogendoorn the heat was on, especially between Andreas Löffler (GER) of the Degen team and Gary Lennon (GBR) of Black Visor Motorsport GB. Löffler started of in the best way possible, driving the BMW M3 GTR to victory at Brno, but fell back a little mid-season. He always scored top six, but he only returned to the podium during the last two events (Magny-Cours and Nürburgring), which was just enough to cope with threat named Gary Lennon. Lennon missed the first event (where Löffler won), but returned in style: his Mosler MT900R finished all races in podium position (four times in second and two times in third). In the end Löffler settled the issue in his favour by finishing second at the Nürburgring and thus reclaiming second position in the championship from Lennon who finished third in that race and thus came in third in the championship as well. By that time Hogendoorn was celebrating his overall victory from a gravel trap.
The team championship battle was also one between Degen and BVM, just as it had with the drivers. However this one was far less close. BVM’s second driver, Ben Tusting (GBR) won three races in the championship, though was very inconsistent, scoring few points in the other four. Still he claimed fourth position with 29 points more than the second driver of Degen, Simon Bode (GER), who settled for sixth with a third place as his single best individual result. Thus Black Visor Motorsport GB got away with the title. The combined efforts of Simon Trendell (GBR) and Jamie Wilson (GBR) in their Moslers were just enough to put their team, NineCraft Team Siemens, in third place. Their overall fifth and seventh position pushed TH Racing Holland, the one-man team of Tim Hogendoorn, back to fourth position. As in GT Pro the winning team did not manage to deliver the winning driver. Or should we say that the winning driver did not manage to get his team to win too? Either way, it signals close competition…

RDGTC GT Sport - Championship Standings and Results

GT Club – “Who needs to dominate if one can be consistent?”
A just question if one analyses the performances of Patrick Duivelaar (NLD) in the GT Club class. From the season’s start on Duivelaar put his BMW Z4 GTR on the podium consistently. He scored four second places and a win at Mid-Ohio from team Degen, missed the race at Valencia and secured the championship with a fifth place at the Nürburgring. However, he was not the only consistent driver. Jari Vinnari (FIN) too kept the performance up throughout the season. Though his Dodge Viper Competition Coupé was slightly uncompetitive at Valencia, he scored three third places, one second place and claimed victory at Istanbul, which brought valuable championship points to his team Roaring Pipes Maniancs – Catch 22. The climax at Nürburgring was a thriller. Vinnari needed to close a seven-point gap to Duivelaar and nearly succeeded. Vinnari finished in second and Duivelaar in fifth. Just one up for Vinnari or one down for Duivelaar had meant a last-minute championship take-over, but in the end Duivelaar stood firm and Vinnari was too far behind Damian Dainhumain (GBR), the winner of the final race, to perform the coup. Dainhumain, after having a bad start of the season made a comeback of during the second half, in which he won three of the last four races. The GMT-DHR – Fanatec driver proved hard to beat once he learned the ways of the SEAT Cupra GT. With his victory in the final race he took the third place in the championship from the absent Oliver Wickens (GBR), second driver of Degen.
The team championship was a clear shot for Degen. The Duivelaar-Wickens combination scored two victories and seven podium finishes, which created such a gap between them and the competition that was comfortable enough for Wickens to miss the last two races. Some 20 points behind them was RPM - Catch 22. Vinnari proved a challenge for the Degen drivers, but Warren Dawes (AUS), though consistently scoring top 10, wasn’t up for the challenge at the head of the field. Nonetheless they had a comfortable gap to third position, which was a close battle between TeamGG–EcurieMRN of Rodolphe and Antoine Morin (FRA) and RPM Lagerfeld of Yoeri Gijsen en Bram Hengeveld (NLD). Both teams incidentally meddled with the affairs at the head of the field, scoring a podium here and there, but found themselves less consistent in their performances, which ultimately lead to a showdown for third at the Nürburgring. The scales tipped from RPM to TeamGG when Hengeveld finished the race prematurely as a result of a connection issue. Thus TeamGG-EcurieMRN lined up behind Degen and RPM – Catch 22 in the final standings.

RDGTC GT Club - Championship Standings and Results

Picture 1: Sander Hogendoorn in his Audi R8 GT Concept during the race at Mid-Ohio were his domination streak started.

Picture 2: Tim Hogendoorn (right) battles with Andreas Löffler (left) for the lead at Valencia. Hogendoorn would decide the battle in his favour, scoring his second season win.

Picture 3: Patrick Duivelaar in his BMW Z4 GTR during the race at Mid-Ohio where he would score his only victory and take the championship lead to never give it away after.

Attachments

• GT Frenzy 01.jpg
    GT Frenzy 01.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 256
  • GT Frenzy 02.jpg
    GT Frenzy 02.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 273
  • GT Frenzy 03.jpg
    GT Frenzy 03.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 306
Status
Not open for further replies.