Rally sound: speakers + headphones (codriver)

Yesterday, while I was playing Dirt Rally I had an idea. What if we could have the audio from the codriver isolated from the rest, for instance using the rear speakers or central speaker audio output. We could use our speakers set at high volumen for the engine sound, surfaces, collisions, etc. but at the same time wear a pair of headphones for the codriver's instructions. How do you think that would feel? I suppose this is not posible in the games we already have (maybe silencing the in-game codriver and using an external program with a second soundcard ala SimCommander), but it could be implemented in future releases.

Edit:

I've been searching the web and here they say that the codriver instructions are sent to the center channel if you use a 5.1 setup. I have my AV receiver set for stereo only. Can anyone confirm? This means that if I set it to 5.1 and connect my headphones to the center speaker, I will be able to do what I want?

Last edited:
Dont have it installed anymore but I would think other sounds also use the center channel and not just the "Speech" on the center channel by itself.

So even if the "Speech" is locked to the center channel and not on others you still need other sounds not to use it to have it only applying to the co-driver.

Set audio to 5.1 but then disconnect speaker cables and plug a set of headphones into the center channel, (or only have the center channel active) you will easily then discover what sounds from the game are active on that channel.

Do the opposite for the front stereo in a separate test, connect headphones or speakers for them only to discover what sounds are then active on those channels but keeping the soundcard set to 5.1.

Upvote 0
What you say makes sense. However, it's easy just to mute the different channels using the AV receiver menus.

Today I forgot to do this, but I tried Dirt Rally with my new 5.1 setup and it´s true that the center speaker is in charge of the codriver's instructions (not sure if anything else).

Is is safe to connect headphones directly to the av receiver (I mean the rear connectors) or could I damage anything?

Upvote 0
What you say makes sense. However, it's easy just to mute the different channels using the AV receiver menus.

Today I forgot to do this, but I tried Dirt Rally with my new 5.1 setup and it´s true that the center speaker is in charge of the codriver's instructions (not sure if anything else).

Is is safe to connect headphones directly to the av receiver (I mean the rear connectors) or could I damage anything?

You could connect headphones to the sound card "CEN/SUB" output and set the soundcard to analog for tests. I think in most games, mono based sounds will be placed in the center channel for 5.1 keeping the stereo pair for stereo-based effects.

Upvote 0
Depends what kind of output that is. If you're talking about the speaker out where you connect passive speakers to: don't ever connect headphones to it!

There are 2 reasons:
1. The output is meant for big speakers. You'll simply crush your headphones with overload! It would be like putting a V8 onto a bicycle!

2. Amplifier outputs need some fitting resistance to them! If it doesn't match either the amplifier overheats (or worse) or the speakers will be very quiet.

So if use standard line cables from your sound card to the receiver, plug your headphones into the center output of your soundcard.
If you use digital connection like hdmi or optical, it will be difficult!

Upvote 0

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • More leagues

Votes: 17 23.3%
  • Prizes

Votes: 16 21.9%
  • Trophies

Votes: 7 9.6%
  • Forum trophies