• Welcome to the largest (sim) racing website in the world!
    Blurring the line between real and virtual motorsports.

Rain

Discussion in 'Bob's Track Builder' started by mianiak, Dec 18, 2009.

1. mianiak

mianiak

Ratings:
    +17
    I believe that it's all there and that it has been there ever since rFactor was released, it has just not been enabled. Simbin games use the same engine, the only difference is they have functions like rain enabled.
    There is a raindrop tga in the commonmaps mas, there is everything needed in rFactor to make a dynamic wet track with rain, it's just not turned on.

I mentioned in my first posts that this is probably not worth pursuing because rf2 is around the corner, but its a fun thing to do when I'm free and aren't doing anything else.
    It is more so a theory I had that I wanted to test, nothing more.
    As Emery points out, there are a lot of functions that take the realism away from it and making things like rain on the windscreen and wipers work is not possible in this case.

I think there is the possibility that someone could write a dll to take advantage of the rain but coding is not my thing.

2. woochoo

woochoo

Ratings:
    +49
    Back when i was working on a small update for Symmons Plains i twiddled with some of the gbd from Orchard Lake (an original ISI track no less) and found these entries. They don't change anything, which is why they're not in other tracks files i guess, but, at one stage i remember i changed either "Conditions" or "TrackWetness" to wet, or rain or overcast or something and quite to my surprise the next time i loaded the track the lighting was lower and the sky was grey! Bad news is i forgot what i changed and how and have only been able to do it that one time. FWIW there was no reflective road surface or rainspray/raindrops. Since the rF menu still has sunny/overcast options there might be some worth in probing "overcast" or "cloudy" as entries, but i'm not going to waste anymore time trying :tongue: Just looking at it again now, perhaps Conditions=Bad might be worth a shot?

Have a good one!

Code:
        Qualify
        {
          Conditions = Best
          TrackWetness = Dry
          AmbientTemp = 29
          TrackTemp = 34
        }
        Warmup
        {
          Conditions = Best
          TrackWetness = Dry
          AmbientTemp = 24
          TrackTemp = 29
        }
        Race
        {
          Conditions = Nice
          TrackWetness = Dry
          AmbientTemp = 28
          TrackTemp = 32
        }

3. William Elgh

William Elgh

Ratings:
    +100
    hey, guys hawe this project stop? :confused: i really want this :D

4. mianiak

mianiak

Ratings:
    +17
    It stopped because there was no way to vary direction of the rain. You can make it come down, but as you start to go faster it should slant, that's what I couldn't get working.

5. ed_jza80

ed_jza80

Ratings:
    +2
    what about water drops hitting the windscreen?

combination of fog, water spray off the tyres. and a wet winndscreen would be pretty convincing in the absence of actual 'falling' rain?

when its 'really' raining, unless you look, you dont see individual raindrops forming a curtain (unless its a monsoon!) rather the rain cuases a loss of field of view, like a fog, and youre windows get wet :)

thoughts?

cheers
    ed

6. William Elgh

William Elgh

Ratings:
    +100
  7. William Elgh

William Elgh

Ratings:
    +100
    bump bump bump..... any one hawe an object or textures 4 this!?

8. Raido

Raido

Ratings:
    +14

More interesting rFactor wetness!

9. William Elgh

William Elgh

Ratings:
    +100
    some tracks in hydroplane mod uses this, but it is far from looking good as this

10. Andre_1th

Andre_1th

Ratings:
    +0
    First part water is moving, second part not. Do I see parts of M$ flightsim ?
    Check also his other 2 vids. No driving no movement ;)

I think this is a good vid artist, basicly nothing to do with RF. Proof me I'm wrong plz.

11. mianiak

mianiak

Ratings:
    +17

12. Bruce Leeroy

Bruce Leeroy

Ratings:
    +16
    Un edited rFactor1 screenshot with custom falling rain layer running from the g-balls plugin and good depth of field effect coming from the ENBseries plugin and a custom wet car skin i made too :thumbsup:
    [​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.