RaceRoom Racing Experience | New Update Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
A new update for RaceRoom Racing Experience is live and in the wild.

To enjoy the fruits of Sector3 Studios labour is easy, just restart your Steam client if you haven't already, and by the magic power of the internet a 4.1gb update will download - filling your harddrive with plenty more RaceRoom themed goodness.

But what goodness does said update contain I hear you cry? Fear not, in the spirit of transparency our friends in Sweden have been so kind as to furnish us with a list of applicable changes, listing what is new, what has changed and what still needs to be amended as part of the latest build release for the simulation.

So update fans, have yourself a nice read of the changelog below:

• Ranked Multiplayer - Added an option to set minimum requirements in rating and safety for a player to be allowed in a ranked session. Added a filter for this to the MP lobby list menu.
  • Dedicated server - Added controls to Export and Import settings (if the host IP changes, the settings are still being lost, but at least you can now recover the settings in a couple clicks by importing a backup)
  • HUD - Moved the huge Disqualification notifications to the "butterHUD™" system (the smaller left side notifications)
  • Controllers - Reduced Minimum force for all Logitech wheels, and added a 10% slip effect
  • Controllers - Added default profile for Simagic wheelbase
  • Controllers - First iteration of support for Simucube - Added communication of in-game selected wheelrange to the simucube driver. Added “safe” default profiles for the 3 variants of Simucube 2 wheelbases. We still have to fix some forces not being stopped upon pressing ESC and sawtooth effects, which we will do together with the hardware manufacturer.
  • Controllers - Updated default FFB profiles for Fanatec CSL and CSR
  • Various improvements to simulating Electric powered cars for player and AI, pitstops, etc.
  • AI - Improvements to their handling of traffic in multiclass racing
  • AI - Improvements to their decision making in going for a defensive line while being followed
  • Fixed a bug where a multiplayer server in a closed qualifying session would still be displayed as “joinable” in the multiplayer list.
  • Fixed a bug where gearshift backfires would not make sounds in replays. Improved logic of the sound triggers in both replays and multiplayer.
  • Fixed a case where AI could be caught not shifting up when it thought it had too low grip on the powered wheels.
  • Fixed a bug where pitstop sounds wouldn't work in replays.
  • Fixed an issue where the ideal raceline would feature oddly positioned brake warnings.
  • Fixed an issue where watching an instant replay that featured a pitstop would result in receiving fresh tyres a second time after coming back to gameplay.
  • Fixed an issue with some in-game web links that would wrongly open in a Steam overlay whenever -webdev startup argument was being used.
  • Tweak to AI's understanding of gravity and forces to improve their behavior on slopes and banked corners.
  • Further tweaks hoping to catch some remaining timing discrepancies when spectating MP races
  • Backed out an older fix for driver names being offset above opponent cars when playing with a low FOV as it had introduced an arguably more annoying intense vibration of the driver names when close to player. Let’s live with an offset for now while we wait for a better fix.
Content updates:
  • All cars - Adjustments to behavior of the tyres once they've been covered in dirt, grass, gravel. As a consequence of those changes, the sounds for pebbles hitting the car are going to feel a bit fainter.
  • All cars - Modifications to upshifts and downshifts engine revs. Gearshifts are now more brutal™. Older cars from 70’s / 80’s / 90’s also received specific upshift backfires.
  • All cars - New transmission whine recordings for most cars, especially modern GT, prototypes and touring cars. The transmission volume ramp is also altered, it’s now louder while coasting and the pitch is in exact sync with the drivetrain.
  • All cars - New skid and locked brake tyre sounds that provide a more realistic sound during long slides. Also decreased tyre volumes for all modern GT cars.
  • All cars - Updates to behaviour of both the rev and pit limiters.
  • All cars - Modifications to forces involved in car to car collisions, to get rid of some collisions sometimes feeling like the other car is a solid brick.
  • Aquila - Adjusted tyre pressures in baseline setup, reduced brake power
  • Audi R18 - Fixed steering wheel not being exactly positioned on the steering column, which resulted in the cockpit camera placement being centered the wheel and therefore too far to the right.
  • Audi TT RS VLN - Longer default final drive for Zandvoort
  • CUPRA TCR - Fixed baseline setup that had an asymmetrical damper setting
  • DTM 14/15/16 - Fixed excessive suspension damage over curbs. Improved curb and bump behaviour with updated high speed dampers. Modified clutch and engine inertia values to stop them from bouncing off limiter upon downshifts. Differential updates to proper locks. Slight BOP adjustment of +5 Kg on the Mercedes.
  • Formula RaceRoom 2 - Updated baseline setup and tweaks to tyres for better handling. AI improvements.
  • Formula Raceroom 90 - Now offers three different tyre compounts, revised baseline setup and tyre model.
  • Formula RaceRoom X-17 - AI improvements
  • Group 4 - Porsche 934 RSR - AI improvements
  • Group C - Updated physics and tyre model, adjusted AI's to match. Adjusted Performance Index of the class to better reflect the actual speed of these cars.
  • GTR 1 - Improved AI pace spread
  • GTR 3 - McLaren 650s - Longer final drive
  • GTR 4 - Updated tyre model and baseline setup
  • Mercedes AMG CLK DTM 2003 - Adjusted cockpit camera position
  • Mercedes AMG DTM 1995 - Adjusted cockpit camera position
  • NSU TTS - Set undertray contact points that had been missing. Updated differential and drivetrain behaviour
  • P1 and P2 - Adjusted gearchange timings and drivetrain oscillations (shaft rigidity). Adjusted placement of cockpit camera.
  • Porsche 911 GT3 Cup (Sprint) - Updated tyre model and suspension. Further tweaks and improvements to physics. (this version of the GT3 Cup is not yet in store but used in Porsche Carrera Cup Scandinavia esports)
  • Porsche Clubsport Trophy by Manthey Racing - Updated tyre model and baseline setup
  • Silhouette Series - Now have factory ABS and preheated tyres. Fixed Canhard R52 that was showing some Push to Pass HUD elements.
  • Volkswagen ID.R - Updated physics according to the Nuerburgring lap record sessions telemetry. Equipped the car with DRS. Shortened the water pump startup sequence and made it sound more obvious that something is happening during car boot up sequence.
  • WTCC 2014/2016 - Fixed excessive suspension damage over curbs
  • WTCR 2018/2019 - Fixed excessive suspension damage over curbs, AI improvements
  • Bathurst - Tweaks to AI’s understanding of what’s a good cornering speed
  • Imola - Tweaks to AI’s understanding of what’s a good cornering speed
  • Ningbo - Improvements to framerate. The starting grid for the short layout is now the same as for the other layouts. Improved AI behaviour.
  • Nuerburgring - Improved AI behaviour at turn 1 of VLN / 24H.
  • Road America - Extended track limits a bit on the outside of the Canada Corner so you no longer get a cut with two wheels inside the white line.
  • Salzburgring - Tweaks to AI’s understanding of what’s a good cornering speed
  • Spa-Francorchamps - Tweaks to AI’s understanding of what’s a good cornering speed (Blanchimont)
  • Suzuka - Tweaks to AI’s understanding of what’s a good cornering speed
Known issue
  • Ningbo main layout has a wrong cut detection in the left turn just before pitlane entry. The only way to record a laptime there right now is by keeping left after the apex. Other Ningbo layouts are not affected. We’re still investigating what’s up with this and will fix as soon™ as possible.

Original Source: RaceRoom Racing Experience Steam

RaceRoom Racing Experience is available exclusively for PC, available now.

Our community is awesome. How awesome? Start up a thread over on the RaceRoom Racing Experience sub forum here at RD and find out!

r3e update header.jpg

Last edited:
No offense, but if at least two people are feeling the same differences then something has likely changed. I'm not saying the physics have had their overhaul, but the Capri is not the same now as it was the last time we used it in the club. We use these cars frequently, so it's not like I'm returning to it after a year of non-use. It's also not my FFB since no settings have been changed, and the other cars I tried all feel exactly the same as they did before.

It's not unheard of for unintended things to make it into patches.

I've checked with devs, who have in turn checked the game files and there are definitely no changes to the Capri or group 5 in general and nor have there been for a long time. Any difference you feel is just placebo. Note that these are on the oldest tyre model which pretty much retain maximum grip at all times and do not really suffer from temperature loss either. I tested the Capri Vs the BMW and the chevron and found that although the Capri is easier to drive the laptimes are close between them.

Just read a few comments regarding Zakspeed Capri changes which I will respond to.
There have been no specific changes to the core behaviour of the car since 01/04/2016 - I've cross referenced our archives to make sure this is completely correct.
I can only put the comments down to one change, and that was a global move to a slightly more forgiving wear profile which was applied to all Group 5 cars. What that means is the grip drop off due to tyre wear is less dramatic now.

I have smashed some laps with the Capri on Zolder right now.
There is no difference noticeable for me. (I drive this car from time to time, especially on this track, so just my memory protocol)
Yes, maybe the rear tyres aren't giving up so much anymore, so slides are a bit better saveable, i can send it into some corners, but i'm also losing time, when doing so, so this seems fine to me.

Thanks Anthony for responding. Multo appreciated:thumbsup:
I have only tested the FR90V10 in the LB on Lakeview Hillclimb.
But its easy to test out because the "automatic" start on this track in LB mode more or less initiate it itself.
Just press the throttle fully and wait for the LB auto launch.:laugh:

Something strange happens with the volume when the RPM goes from about 95% to 100%.
As I describe it above the volume is normal when the RPM is 95% but is then completely unrealistic switched about +6/9db up when the RPM get to 100% and the pit limiter cuts in.
The same happens out on the track every time you try to "ride on the pit limiter" or just plain reach 95-100% of max RPM.

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: Eventhough you say that nothing is changed in the engine volume then my qualified guess is that this "bug" is initiated by the way the new pitlimiter sound is working. Because the "switch up" of the engine level is caused by the pitlimiters unrealistic way of working(IMO).:thumbsup:
----------------------------
EDIT:
Ok Anthony now I have tested the 3x FR90 throughly out.
Its mainly the V10 that has become as awkward as I describe.:)
And it IS the way the limiter sound cuts in and does influence the engine sound thats the problem.

But the V12 sounds actually better now - because before this was the only FR90 who sounded a bit meh meh when it reached max RPM.
The V8 sounds now a bit like the V10 when the limiter cuts in but not so annoying as the V10.

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: And after re-testing I admit that the raise in volume isnt the mentioned +6/9db.
Even in the annoying V10 its probably only about +3db.:whistling:
And be aware that I have NOT screamed something like "Godbye Raceroom" because I actually love some of the cars in Raceroom - but OK maybe not the V10 anymore.:roflmao:

Thanks for all the details, now I understand what you mean about the revlimit sound being too loud.

Actually, it's mostly this gap between the high rev and revlimit sounds that is annoying and this only happens with a few cars. We're investigating to find a way to fix it but this is unfortunately out of my knowledge field.

I had indeed noticed it a few weeks ago but the programmers couldn't have a look before the update.
Anyway, we're already on it since this morning and hopefully it'll be fixed very soon ;)

Thanks for all the details, now I understand what you mean about the revlimit sound being too loud.

Actually, it's mostly this gap between the high rev and revlimit sounds that is annoying and this only happens with a few cars. We're investigating to find a way to fix it but this is unfortunately out of my knowledge field.

I had indeed noticed it a few weeks ago but the programmers couldn't have a look before the update.
Anyway, we're already on it since this morning and hopefully it'll be fixed very soon ;)
Thank youuu Anthony.:thumbsup:
This is the first time I have been so promptly rewarded for NOT being either too aggressive or too sarcastic when I does adress some critique against a racing sim.
So from now on you are my #1 dev guy :p

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: Maybe I wouldnt have been banned from the official Raceroom forum if I had behaved so extreeeemely friendly as I feel now.:roflmao:

I gave it a go after many months of not playing. I had a blast and was pleasantly surprised at the sound, physics and overall look and feel of the game.

I agree. Whenever I come back to this game I always ask myself why I stopped playing it. I love going over the top of Bathurst and feeling the wheel get light from cresting the hills.

I used to enjoy Raceroom when I had a belt-driven wheel, but after upgrading to direct-drive I could never get the FFB or DOR dialed in correctly even after hours of trying different settings. I pretty much gave up on it last year due to this, but always keep my eye on the R3E news items in the hope they've added better support.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else using a direct-drive wheel has noticed significant improvements in FFB since the recent updates.

Ranked Multiplayer - Added an option to set minimum requirements in rating and safety for a player to be allowed in a ranked session. Added a filter for this to the MP lobby list menu
Aleluia for that my friend! Wreckers and trollers are the worst offense to sim racing world (or any game genre in fact...). Thank you Sector3 for finally "rank" those morons out of the way. Please also keep all your efforts on anti-cheating code, dont give them that sick pleasure of ruining everybodys day and get away laughing.
In the mean time Im trying to get my rank high enough, but for the moment its a hit and miss affair in the "zero" ranked servers. I allways do my prays before I enter ehehe :giggle:

I used to enjoy Raceroom when I had a belt-driven wheel, but after upgrading to direct-drive I could never get the FFB or DOR dialed in correctly even after hours of trying different settings. I pretty much gave up on it last year due to this, but always keep my eye on the R3E news items in the hope they've added better support.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else using a direct-drive wheel has noticed significant improvements in FFB since the recent updates.
It was the same for me, but the december update did make key improvements (for my taste atleast) that I can enjoy it now with a DD, although mine has a Preset so I just loaded it and applied the recommended settings on my wheel, some DD´s dont have a preset I heard so I don´t know how easy it is to find settings for it that are perfect

You might be interested to know that I (the physics guy) work on RR with a DD wheel every day. Fanatec DD1. We also have Simucube devices at the office, amongst others.

I love going over the top of Bathurst and feeling the wheel get light from cresting the hills.
If you like the feeling of being airborne on Bathurst then you would probably love Lakeview Hillclimb where you HAVE to get launched in the air if you want to get a reasonable position on the leaderboard :D

3-clip.jpg9-clip.jpg
Just as some kind of show off for you people :laugh: I just took the heavy battleship Nissan R90CK out on the same track to test if I could get it airborne too - hehe succeded of course.:p
Nissan Airline.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You might be interested to know that I (the physics guy) work on RR with a DD wheel every day. Fanatec DD1. We also have Simucube devices at the office, amongst others.
Helo Alex H., before anything else congrats and thank you so much for your amazing job polishing this gem of a code for us!
On the FFB/DD1 matter, do you have your prefered settings, in-wheel and in-game, somewhere where they could be viewed? Thanks:thumbsup:
Cheers ;)

@Joapamir, thank you very much, I'm glad you'te enjoying it!

The default profile for DD1 is my profile I use every day. Lately I've been turning understeer effect up to 20% however.

On-wheel settings from our forum:

Recommended wheel base settings:

Sensitivity: Auto

Force Feedback: 100

Shock Vib: 100

ABS: 100

Force: 100

Spring: Off

Damper: 100

Allows the game to make full use of the wheel's damping. If you find there is too much, reduce through the game's Force Feedback Damper setting.

Nat Damper: 10

The natural damper will give you an additional damper which you can adjust from OFF to 100. At 100 you will have the strongest dampening effect which reacts to the acceleration and angle of your steering. If you turn it OFF, your steering will have no additional damping, making it easier to turn the wheel. The Natural Damper is a useful setting to reduce unwanted wheel oscillation. Oscillation is typically caused by latency in the feedback loop, and is more apparent in racing games that are not optimised for high-torque motors. The 32 default value of 50 is a good balance between steering responsiveness and oscillation mitigation.
An extra layer of damping which is applied at the wheel, separately to the game. Useful to tune out oscillations but will remove sharpness. I recommend you keep values very small (<10) here.

Natural Friction: 5
From the Fanatec user manual:
The natural damper will give you an additional damper which you can adjust from OFF to 100. At 100 you will have the strongest dampening effect which reacts to the acceleration and angle of your steering. If you turn it OFF, your steering will have no additional damping, making it easier to turn the wheel. The Natural Damper is a useful setting to reduce unwanted wheel oscillation. Oscillation is typically caused by latency in the feedback loop, and is more apparent in racing games that are not optimised for high-torque motors.
Use this value to tune out any oscillations and also to take up any slack/dead feeling around the centre of the wheel travel. I recommend you keep values very small (<10) here.

Brake Force: Max

Force Feedback Intensity: 100

This parameter adjusts the overall intensity of force effects and can make effects smoother: OFF is very smooth while 100 is very sharp and direct. Tuning this parameter can help to refine a harsh or spiky force feedback signal in some games.

What i would like to know, is , why the game is heavier for me then ACC ? Since so many devs replying here.

My framerate on a grid of 24 cars starting from the back on Zhuhai track drops to 40 ? its an example theres many more like these

CPU i7 8700K @ 4.8
RTX 2080Ti
Resolution 3840x1080 single screen

Also why doesnt GSYNC work in it ?

Thanks

PS: Clean install, had it uninstalled, cleaned folders on Documents and everything

I’ve been jumping back and forth between sims (ACC, AC, RF2, iRacing, F1 2019) these past few weeks and after much consideration I think Raceroom, specifically the 2019 TCR cars is definitely the most fun for my taste!

Specially after this latest update.. i just need a few more laps to fine tune the FB and sounds and I think this will be my go-to sim when I want to enjoy a couple quick offline races. I was close to uninstalling this sim to make space on my drive but I’m glad I didn’t.

Great job from the team at Sector 3.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea