Skins Question regarding RSS Hybrid X template...

This probably goes for all templates, but right now specifically the RSS Hybrid X template. For the record, I am using Gimp.

There are parts of the template I simply can't paint and i'm not sure Gimp is opening the template correctly. It's all the areas contained in the AO_CARBON_DONT_TOUCH! layer. They are all white and no matter what other layer I paint over that area, they stay white. If I hide the layer, then I can paint what's underneath, but I imagine i'm not supposed to hide it since it says Don't Touch.

So my question is, what layer mode should that be set at? In Gimp it opens in Normal mode? If I change it to multiply, I can't paint what's underneath but I don't get that carbon texture look. If it's not related to the layer properties, then how do you paint over that area to get that nice dark carbon texture look I see on other cars without hiding the layer? Or is this a case of Gimp not being a good program to use for skin creation.

not using GIMP, but try this.
move down the carbon white layer underneath your paint & decal layers.
if shading on carbon layer is still present. make it full white first. so it will blend with AO nicely.

Thank you. I will try that and see if I have any luck.

EDIT: Bummer, didn't work. Guess i'm not meant to paint a Hybrid skin for myself. Oh well, there's enough good ones out there to find one I like to drive.

Last edited:
Couldn't get the last two layers to fit on screen, but they are the Color and Base Layers

layers.png

1583272255429.png

here's mine.
as you can see i move Carbon layer down below AO, make AO (carbon i mean) as normal blending. then put decals & paint under the carbon layer. if you want to paint on rear wing or an element that need to be painted above carbon. put your decal/paint in the middle of AO & carbon layer. rest above you can leave them untouched

Last edited:
Thank you for the comparison pic and advice. I am going to keep this picture handy as a reference. I see that your carbon layer is set for overlay or is that just something you typed in for reference? I think in Gimp, mine is set for normal.

I really should break down and just buy PS. I think it would make my painting life easier.

oh my mistake, i meant the carbon layer that should be set on normal. AO is still multiply.

was on something so i didn't realise it.

you don't really need PS tho, GIMP still can do a trick

Last edited:
I see that your carbon layer is set for overlay or is that just something you typed in for reference?
indeed it's set with carbon pattern overlay but it's just for reference. disabled after the skin had been done. as i worked on 3D PS, i just wanted to see how it looked when carbon's applied so i made a carbon pattern overlay. just my habit tho.

Last edited:
I think i'm making progress thanks to you, but one thing i'm still unsure of. I looked at a lot of the skin .dds files of other Hybrid skins and saw that the carbon layer I am struggling with is masked out\transparent on the actual .dds file. So how are you guys getting that carbon fiber look? I was able to achieve it by making a carbon fill pattern to paint over those areas, but on other skins those areas are completely blank and I didn't understand where your carbon look was coming from if those areas are blank on the .dds file.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back