Question about tyres and AI setups

I only started playing GTR2 earlier this week and already it's probably the most fun I've had with offline racing in any sim. However, I'm still trying to gauge my pace with the AI. The only mod I'm using is the Crew Chief plug-in, and I do have flat spotting and dirty tyres enabled. I'm driving on the Simulation setting with the AI currently at 100. I've been doing 30 minute sprint races on soft tyres. Unfortunately in two of the three races I've done so far I DNF'ed within the last 5-10 minutes, once because my VR headset disconnected when I alt-tabbed, and the other time because a certain rabbit chewed through the cable to my pedals right before the braking zone. The third race I finished, but I wouldn't consider that normal tyre wear because I spun a couple times and I think I may have destroyed them while sliding sideways.

For people who have more experience with the game, what's the normal tyre life for the three slick compounds? Is a thirty minute race on softs reasonable? I mostly felt good about my pace compared to the AI, but I'm wondering if they were on mediums and I just had way more grip. I DNF'ed at Brno with about 5 minutes left, I never really felt the grip fall off but it's also not a very demanding circuit.

In general, using default tires, on most tracks, with average race lengths (GTR2 uses 2004 FIA standard races of three hours), you can count on 2-3 pit stops per race, mainly for fuel. Unless you have selected accelerated tire wear in the menu even soft compounds should easily last for a thirty minute race.

@astrarobotica glad to hear you are enjoing the offline experience in GTR2 and you enabled flat spots/dirt pickup. How do you know about the tire wear, what do you use to measure it? I personally feel loss of grip starting with 80% tire remaining. The speed of wear is adjustable in .tyr files BTW, so you can make it act any way you want. Same applies to flat spots/dirt pickup - you can configure it to your liking - this stuff is not physics based, it's very simple model that uses just a handful of parameters.

There's also a chance that there's a bug in CCGEP. Try disabling the dirt pickup and see if it changes the wear. Also, if track has incorrect terrain patches (like, game thinks that you drive over sand while visually you drive over tarmac - I've seen tracks like that) you will lose grip because tires will be constantly dirty. What I personally do I enable "log tyre stats" in CC application, and then I can see values (wear, flat spot severity, dirt pickup) in the CC app log.

Last edited:

@astrarobotica glad to hear you are enjoing the offline experience in GTR2 and you enabled flat spots/dirt pickup. How do you know about the tire wear, what do you use to measure it? I personally feel loss of grip starting with 80% tire remaining. The speed of wear is adjustable in .tyr files BTW, so you can make it act any way you want. Same applies to flat spots/dirt pickup - you can configure it to your liking - this stuff is not physics based, it's very simple model that uses just a handful of parameters.

There's also a chance that there's a bug in CCGEP. Try disabling the dirt pickup and see if it changes the wear. Also, if track has incorrect terrain patches (like, game thinks that you drive over sand while visually you drive over tarmac - I've seen tracks like that) you will lose grip because tires will be constantly dirty. What I personally do I enable "log tyre stats" in CC application, and then I can see values (wear, flat spot severity, dirt pickup) in the CC app log.
So far I've just felt the loss of grip over time, like the chicane at Donington, it became progressively more difficult to avoid sliding through it, and then struggling to put the power down on exit.

I only found out yesterday that the pitstop screen apparently displays tyre wear, I just haven't done a race with stops yet. I didn't know I could see tyre stats in Crew Chief, I'll have to look at that, thanks!

So far I've just felt the loss of grip over time, like the chicane at Donington, it became progressively more difficult to avoid sliding through it, and then struggling to put the power down on exit.

I only found out yesterday that the pitstop screen apparently displays tyre wear, I just haven't done a race with stops yet. I didn't know I could see tyre stats in Crew Chief, I'll have to look at that, thanks!
You can also see wear in CCGEP monitor app https://thecrewchief.org/downloads/gtr2/CCGEPMonitor.zip . Also, if you are running HQ anniversary patched cars and enabled additional data pages in my pugin settings you will be able to see tire wear (and much more) on the car LCD screen itself.

Last edited:

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • More leagues

Votes: 22 22.4%
  • Prizes

Votes: 20 20.4%
  • Trophies

Votes: 10 10.2%
  • Forum trophies