Project CARS Modding Questions & WIP

Does anybody know of a site or wiki where there are formulas I can use to determine values like inertia and spring/damper rates? I have my physics book from last semester in school but I'm still a little lost at the moment.
Body Inertia is definitely done wrong by SMS. Especially in cars that weigh 900kg and higher. Most cars in pCars only have about 55%-60% of the correct inertia set in CDFbin.

In an effort to "throw some weight around", SMS does odd things like set excessive front/rear spindle and wheel mass in the suspension SDFbin, when the correct way to do things would be to use a correct (higher) body inertia value. Of course, I correct the mass values in the SDFbin, then use proper body inertia values in the CDFbin.

Also, SMS seeems to be using rather odd front/rear spring tuning (frequency). When working with the spring/bump/rebound rates, you must look up the spring multiplier and damper multiplier that is configured in the CDFbin (file translation is available in my public folder). In most cases the multipliers are set to a value less than 1.0, which means that all values are reduced from what is seen in the tuning menu, along with what is fed into the physics engine. I always set all spring and damping multipliers to 1.0, then determine proper spring/bump/rebound rates via a worksheet.

I've uploaded the body inertia and spring_damper tuning worksheets into my public folder.... https://www.mediafire.com/folder/cy3jl6679k7i1/Public_for_PCARS
Direct link to inertia worksheet...
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ymqspszlt5uye48/Inertia_calculations_Worksheet_JDougNY.xls
Direct link to spring_damper worksheet...
http://www.mediafire.com/download/jg792j25vktwgwz/Spring_Damper_Tuning_Worksheet.xls

If you have any questions, feel free to p.m. me.

Last edited:
Hey Doug I remember you saying something about a physicseditor a few pages back, I saw an engine one for gtr2/rfactor but don't know how to get it working for pcars, is it possible or were you talking about another program? Anything to make editing a little quicker is a good thing :)

@Hobbnob
I've moved a copy of physicseditor over to my public folder... https://www.mediafire.com/folder/cy3jl6679k7i1/Public_for_PCARS
Direct link... http://www.mediafire.com/download/bct1p79w5cc2ftb/physicseditor.rar

Physicseditor looks for *.ini. All you need to do is change the file extension of your engine file. For instance, an old text based S2U engine file would be changed from *.edf to *.ini, then loaded into physicseditor. Also, you could just start from scratch with the editor and make the curve you need.

@Hobbnob
I've moved a copy of physicseditor over to my public folder... https://www.mediafire.com/folder/cy3jl6679k7i1/Public_for_PCARS
Direct link... http://www.mediafire.com/download/bct1p79w5cc2ftb/physicseditor.rar

Physicseditor looks for *.ini. All you need to do is change the file extension of your engine file. For instance, an old text based S2U engine file would be changed from *.edf to *.ini, then loaded into physicseditor. Also, you could just start from scratch with the editor and make the curve you need.
OK, and how do I get this into an engine? I have an LS that I'll looking to modify so I changed the edfbin to ini as you said and the program couldn't get torque data presumably because it's hex. How do I make it readable?

New addon cars available for pCars!

Nissan Skyline R34 - Tuner Version
Nissan GTR SpecV R35
Lambo Gallardo LP560
Aston Martin DB9
Lexus LFA

Link.... https://mega.nz/#F!SR8hCDhA!9UhugWkf7gxKECEAYvCKrw

ha! It's nice to see modding continued.
These cars contain the dvd check that makes sure you have the original s2u game: something I didn't include when I released pcars mods. Hope you will continue hassle free and hope to see more in the future! Good luck and thanks.

OK, and how do I get this into an engine? I have an LS that I'll looking to modify so I changed the edfbin to ini as you said and the program couldn't get torque data presumably because it's hex. How do I make it readable?
You misunderstood me. I said you could change the extension of an old text based *.edf (not coded EDFbin) to *.ini.
Basically, physicseditor is good for ensuring that you have a proper torque curve, which produces accurate HP. You can then use that data in your coded EDFbin. It avoids the practice that some use of just picking random torque numbers, until something works.

I do have a Shiimis tool for the physics files that is Windows based (no longer Python), which would take a text file and generate an EDFbin, CDFbin, SDFbin...well..everything. However, I'm not releasing it, because in most of the physics files the parameters vary too much, which makes the use of a generic templated text file useless (valuable parameters can get lost). Besides, it's up to Shiimis to release the tools that he creates.
I do use his physics tool for the engine, but I only copy out the RPMtorque section and paste that into a proper donor EDFbin. Then, I edit the lower portion of my good EDFbin, along with adding parameters as needed.

Last edited:
Another beast of a car to add to your collection....
Maserati Gran Turismo S
It's a heavy car and you have to treat her right going into those corners. Final gears up to 5.0 to give her a good kick in the behind...
BTW, we've moved our cars from Mega to Mediafire and this is where you can get 'em... https://www.mediafire.com/folder/4nim3o64k5lcy/cars

Current cars available...
Nissan Skyline R34 - Tuner Version
Nissan GTR SpecV R35
Lambo Gallardo LP560
Aston Martin DB9
Lexus LFA
Maserati Gran Turismo S

Great, great,! Please Ferrari !
My modding partner Vapour has me loaded up with a few cars to where I work on physics, audio, some modeling bits. We were talking about Ferrari. What I want to do is see if the quality of TDFRL Ferrari 458 is good enough for pCars. Also, check the quality of DLC Ferrari from prior SMS game in pCars (I would use original Xbox source files, not the various conversions made by others). Taking Ferrari models from either TDFRL or the DLC Ferrari would go quicker. If I were to start from scratch with Turn 10 Ferrari models, it will take some extra time.

[QUOTE="JDougNY,
Please man, help with the translation of the CGP file. Specifically with white lights change to yellow. As you know the Audi R8 LMS 2015 default color is white, but there are variants in yellow. I have everything resolved in textures but I lack only that the cgp file. You know that the BMW M3 GT2 uses that yellow light, my conflict is that when I replace that file for the 2015 Audi R8 LMS of me also changes the position of the camera which bothers me.

I appreciate your cooperation with the other translations of physical files but if possible can help with this.

From greetings and thanks.

Please man, help with the translation of the CGP file....
Well, I've partially decoded the CGP, because I'm always adjusting these cameras for new cars.....
Code:
0x54-0x57 // Bonnet Cam Lateral adjust
0x58-0x5C // Bonnet Cam Vertical adjust (more positive = upward)
0x5D-0x5F // Bonnet Cam Front/Rear adjust (less positive = more forward)

0x60-0x63 // Cockpit Center Cam Lateral adjust
0x64-0x67 // Cockpit Center Cam Vertical adjust
0x68-0x6B // Cockpit Center Cam Front/Rear adjust

0x6C-0x6F // Roof Cam Lateral adjust
0x70-0x73 // Roof Cam Vertical adjust
0x74-0x77 // Roof Cam Front/Rear adjust
How about starting with transferring this area of the code from one file to the other.

Well, I've partially decoded the CGP, because I'm always adjusting these cameras for new cars.....
Code:

How about starting with transferring this area of the code from one file to the other.

That's exactly what I did and works a treat

Code:

Although not everything is translated enough for me or this vehicle .... Thank you ....... The car looks great , now working for only work in just a few variants and not all .......

That's exactly what I did and works a treat
It possible that someday these can facilitate the function of adding functions of project cars in the MEB of SHIFT2 files (rain, shine, shimmer, etc). Only a few members know how to do it. I'm trying but it does not work, the files do not work with files BMT we not with mtx. I only know the HXD and 3DSimed program, maybe you use zmodeler does not use or know.
I know it is very risky to pass this knowledge to anyone, it would make some mods terribly wrong. but I appreciate that provide that knowledge in tracucciones.

Code:

It possible that someday these can facilitate the function of adding functions of project cars in the MEB of SHIFT2 files (rain, shine, shimmer, etc). Only a few members know how to do it. I'm trying but it does not work, the files do not work with files BMT we not with mtx. I only know the HXD and 3DSimed program, maybe you use zmodeler does not use or know.
I know it is very risky to pass this knowledge to anyone, it would make some mods terribly wrong. but I appreciate that provide translations that knowledge.

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 194 67.4%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 124 43.1%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 132 45.8%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 56 19.4%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 79 27.4%
Back