Post Processing, why the huge frame rate drop?

With post processing On I get 55fps, with it Off 160fps.

It looks nicer but not 3x nicer.

Even if I set the ppfilter .ini sections to Enabled=0, it still drops the frame rate 2/3rds.

What exactly in post processing is causing such a huge drop in frame rate? What is so gfx taxing ?

AC without post processing fully disables most graphics features, making it a very plain game to run. Stuff like bloom to make brake lights more visible just doesn't exist at all.

Last edited:
With post processing On I get 55fps, with it Off 160fps.

It looks nicer but not 3x nicer.

Even if I set the ppfilter .ini sections to Enabled=0, it still drops the frame rate 2/3rds.

What exactly in post processing is causing such a huge drop in frame rate? What is so gfx taxing ?
I am interested in how this performance hit varies across AMD vs NVIDIA hardware. On a 7970 disabling PP vs the minimum possible PP on configuration (overall quality: minimum, glare and DoF OFF, SOL filter) increases FPS by 30%.

Last edited:
I have noticed something very similar using PURE with the Pure Simple filter. Better performance, no loss of image quality (in fact, I've always liked how things look without post processing, but of course the big problem is the brake lights)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back