Possibly naive engine question

Here is a question for you guys: this is possibly completely naive, but what do you think the chances are that one of the teams/manufacturers has a 2016 spec-compliant engine in a R&D shop somewhere that could beat (or at least compete with) Mercedes, but is unable to put it in their car because of rules restrictions (i.e. tokens)?

I do know that Renault have been testing their 2017 engine quite intensively and the results on the testing bench is showing some very promising result. Im pretty sure if the teams where not restricted on the current rules that they are able to introduce an improved engine at this point. Whether the engine would be good enough to get on the same level as Mercedes is hard to tell.

I do know Renault is roughly 50hp behind on Mercedes and Ferrari is somewhere in between there. So you can figure that a decent update on one of those 2 could bring them on the same level, the gap is not that big anymore compared to 2 years ago.

Im expecting a lot from Renault, some voices surrounding the RBR team from what I have heard are expecting that they might not only will get on the same level in terms of power but will even pass them.:confused:

But ofcourse Mercedes, Ferrari and Honda are not sitting still either and surely will improve to. But it will be interesting to follow, cant wait till winter testing.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.