Positional audio in VR

Hello everyone, I'm relatively new to the forum and to sim racing as a whole. I'm playing AC in VR with the HP Reverb G2 headset, and one thing that doesn't seem to work is positional audio (if that's the right term). i.e. if I have a rear-engine car and I turn my head from left to right, I should be able to hear the engine at different volumes in each ear as I turn. However, it's always the same sound no matter which way my head is orientated.

I came across this post which hinted at the same issue but didn't properly answer it. I also noted that there was some AC patch years ago that proclaimed to fix this, but it still doesn't work for me and I'm on the latest version available from Steam. I'm also using CSP 0.718-preview1 and have the "fix stereo sound in VR", but I don't notice any difference with the setting on or off.

Am I missing something? Does anyone have this working in a similar setup? Thanks, Dan.

Update: It seems to be just engine sounds that are non-positional. External sounds like cars going past behave as expected. Engine, if not all in-car sounds, seem to be the same no matter which way you look. Very odd.

Last edited:
Thanks, I don't think we have the same issue. My issue seems to be that engine sound is "mono", at least in the few cars that I have tested. I'm not sure if that is a setting or mod opportunity, or if anything can be done about it.
Check you windows sound settings. Configure your speakers for stereo or 7.1 or whatever you setup demands and see if the issue remains. Also, im not in VR so...

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.