Podium Finish in British F3 Return for Youngster Monger

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Billy Monger Outon Park Podium.jpg

Billy Monger scores dramatic podium on racing return following life changing injuries sustained during a F4 event at Donington Park.

Monger, 18, won the hearts of racing fans worldwide in 2017 following his dramatic accident at the Donington Park Formula 4 round last season, when the British driver tragically lost both lower legs following a heavy frontal impact in treacherous conditions at the Leicestershire circuit.

With considerable time having to be set aside to recuperate from these life changing injuries, many thought the career of Monger would be over before it had the chance to really get going following the accident last April, however Monger would be keen to reiterate his desire to return to the cockpit almost immediately after the accident, stating in undeniable clarity that once he acclimatises to his new situation the Surrey born driver would be looking for a suitable opportunity to get back behind the wheel again, something he has achieved with sporadic tests in a number of different machinery over the last few months.

With the 2018 racing season starting in earnest over the next weeks, Monger would return to competitive open wheel racing with the Carlin Motorsport BRDC British Formula 3 outfit at Oulton Park, immediately scoring an impressive third place finish on his race return following a strong qualifying performance that secured the youngster fifth on a competitive grid in Cheshire.

Driving a specially adapted Tatuus Cosworth car that uses a steering wheel based throttle and a single pedal for braking with his prosthetic leg, Monger had a very strong opening race to finish behind race winning Double R driver Linus Lundqvist, and the second Carlin car of Nicolai Kjaergaard.

At present Monger is contracted for just the Oulton Park opening round, however the driver continues to search for sponsorship in order to complete the full season that ends at Silverstone in October.

Billy Monger Outon Park Podium 3.jpg
Billy Monger Outon Park Podium 2.jpg

For more news from the motorsport world be sure to check out the Motorsport Sub Forum here at RaceDepartment - Join in the discussion today!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 6919

Really pleased for the young lad, and very impressive..
Maybe RD and their members could get a sponsor on the car??

If not for the incompetence of the emergency personnel on-scene he may have been able to keep both legs.
I would of imagined this thread was written for the positive side, not to turn it into a negative bash from the past.

This is such a fantastic story, I was watching that race live and it was one of the most sickening things I have witnessed live :( Shocked me to my core and I feared the worst, that was a massive impact. So glad he's come through it with the mental strength to carry on.

If not for the incompetence of the emergency personnel on-scene he may have been able to keep both legs.

What complete crap, the lad is lucky to be alive with that impact. The UK has some of the best Marshalls and medical services.

Hope to see him on Monday for the Bank Holiday races. Done an outstanding job of overcoming the adversity placed in front of him and i imagine this has come as no surprise to him with his self belief and determination to get back behind the wheel. Top Job.

Maybe RD and their members could get a sponsor on the car??

Why not try get Race Department on the car

Like Dogecoin and Josh Wise in NASCAR then? (Oh my I remember the outrage, not from getting Dogecoin as a sponsor, but that the Dogecoiners were able to outvote Danica Patrick for the fan-vote to get in to the 2014 All-Star race) Which just from finishing that race, they got over twice the amount of money they took from sponsors for being the main sponsor for a race.
Fun times.

Great to see Monger up there as well, saw the short podium video from Andy Prilaux on facebook earlier. Awesome! :)

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.