Perez / Force India Renew F1 Deal for 2019

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Esteban Ocon Force India Deal .jpg

Surprising absolutely no one, Sergio Perez has signed a contract extension with Force India to continue with the British team into the 2019 Grand Prix season.

Having reportedly played an integral role in the move to Force India into administration that lead to the eventual sale of the outfit to Canadian billionaire Lawrence Stroll and his associates, it has long been expected that current driver Sergio Perez would remain with the Silverstone based outfit into next season, a deal that has been confirmed today with news that Perez will continue to race for force India in the 2019 Formula One racing season.

“I’m pleased that Sergio will continue his journey with us in 2019,” said Force India Team Principal Otmar Szafnauer.​

“Over the last five years, Sergio has confirmed his position as one of the most talented and consistent drivers on the Formula 1 grid.

“He gives us valuable stability going forward and is a huge asset to the team. As we begin an exciting new chapter in the life of this team, we are delighted that Sergio will race with us going forward.”
With the team now under new ownership following its sale to the Racing Point consortium headed by Lawrence Stroll, it is expected that the second seat at the team will go to current Williams man Lance Stroll, the Canadian second year driver expected to be announced in the coming days as the latest edition into what is effectively his father's team, replacing the highly regarded Mercedes backed Esteban Ocon.

For more from the world of Grand Prix racing, don't forget to check out the Formula One forum here at RaceDepartment and get involved in the conversation.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Are you happy to hear Perez will stay on at Force India next season? Do you think the team and driver can challenge for podiums in 2019? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Qualifying doesn't count for anything in the standings, unfortunately. I guess there is some hope if Toto Wolf is to believed about keeping him in the plans for 2020.
But is says a lot about the raw speed a driver has compared to his teammate.
Part of this speed advantage is how well the driver feels the car and communicates this with his engineers to obtain a better setup. So those numbers tell a lot.

Well, what an amazing news !!! Splendid. :thumbsup::geek:
Hey Perez... break a leg mate ! ;)

:sneaky:

edit:
I know Ocon real problem, he always had those pink glasses. :(
lance-stroll-williams-racing-1.jpg

He trust people too much. And in the same shot we have his "best F1 friend" Stroll with much more appropriate, blue, glasses. Smart chap. Look at him now. :-/

Last edited:

Fat-Alfie

Premium
And the difference between Stroll and Perez is...? :O_o:

One is related to their financial backer, whilst the other isn't. Both bought a seat.

I don't get the hatred for Stroll :unsure:

With more much more retirements he still is only one point behind.

Yep. Singapore anyone ?
Perez has an habit to fight hard needlessly his team mates when he doesn't have the speed against them (ask Button). I don't think Perez will be able to pull the same crap with owner's son.
It should be interesting with Stroll : Lance manages to get it right once in a while, and if he gets in front of Perez, I'm expecting the mexican to be angrier and fight harder the team mate. And crash more.

Not a very good start for that "new" team, going for two pay drivers, and leaving out the best of the three.

Hope they do good next year anyhow, they been best of the rest. Stroll been really fast in F3, (driving for Prema helps a lot) winning almost half of the 2016 European F3 series.
That still needs a fast and consistent driver. Competition is really strong in that class.

I think there is another thing going on, Stroll Sr. is now co-owner of the team. Ocon would make Stroll Jr. look bad. They assume Stroll can outperform Perez.

If that is the assumption at Force India then I wouldn't be surprised to see them proved wrong. I don't think Stroll will have it all his own way next year - unless he's given undisputed no 1 status and access to all new parts first, and even then I wouldn't totally write Perez off. He's pretty consistent most weekends and quite often matches or improves on his grid position by the end of a race - a regular point scorer and a pretty seasoned f1 racer these days.

I guess we'll see next season whether Stroll really has what it takes to be a top driver as it would be unfair to judge him solely on the basis of his Williams career. He will need to beat Perez on a regular basis to improve his standing in the paddock, and personally I'm not sure he will do that.

We'll see I guess.

I think there is another thing going on, Stroll Sr. is now co-owner of the team. Ocon would make Stroll Jr. look bad. They assume Stroll can outperform Perez.
Yes, the owner of the team does not want to have good drivers that outperforms his son. Stroll Sr is now a team owner, there are more interests involved. It just need a bit of common sense to realize that.

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 92 19.0%
  • €151-500

Votes: 127 26.3%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 85 17.6%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 42 8.7%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 48 9.9%
  • €3001-5000