Patreon increase

I've noticed an ever increasing trend for sim modders to jump on Patreon.
What do you guys believe is causing that trend?
I support modders for good work over and above what is currently out there.
That said... Is there a better and more viable solution that would be easier than a commitment every month?
Do you support that new found trend or would you prefer one-time only payments?

I think the only two that warrant a monthly commitment are CSP and PURE but THATS it. Thats because there are improvements over and over. I have enough "monthly payments" to other things that I already dont agree with.

Other than the two I mentioned, if I see its Patreon, I dont give it a second look.

That being said... If Phoenix77 were to start one, I would certainly join that.

100% agree.
I don't mind paying for a particular piece of content, if it is good and offers a game-changing feature.
Software like PURE which is constantly in a state of upgrade are fine.
Peter made SOL and distributed it to everyone, so I am more than happy to support PURE....and I do.
CSP was okay but it too seem to have slowed on updates over the past months.
Ilja must be busy spending his money.
It shows his Patreon site making anywhere from $35-45K per month :p:p
Phoenix77 also offered content.
The sheer scope of his track warrants community support if you've ever used any version.
Some guys seem to be jumping on the Patreon bandwagon having offered nothing to the simracing community.
As stated earlier, I don't mind paying a one-time charge for something I deem necessary.
I won't be handing over money every month for a car or track, with no future upgrades after release.
This position of jumping on Patreon may be costing those folks money as well because most won't commit to monthly payments..

Last edited:
Does the whole system not encourage the modder to ensure their mod remains in a perpetual state of incompletion with continuous holes and flaws, just to keep the gravy train rolling?
Things are starting to appear that way.
It seems unfortunate our sport has taken this path.
Everything starts out with good intent and then the misuse slowly creeps in.
It seems the days of sending a guy/gal a small reasonable amount to cover their time on a particular mod are over.
Suddenly everybody seems to be headed to Patreon....even substandard mods.

At the end of this upcoming pay cycle, I fully intend to unsubscribe every Patreon session I am actively linked to....that includes CSP.
No information on any potential or upcoming mods seems to be getting published there.
Months are going by in some cases, with no word on any pending or potential updates.
In some cases, you have guys raking in well above $40000 per month.
While I don't mind supporting modders, that is a bit over the top.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back