PC2 Open Composite (OpenXR) now works for Project Cars 2!

Yes, Open Composite FULLY works - steamvr is now not needed anymore as long as your headset supports openxr - it also depends on what VR headset you have. I have a HTC Cosmos and it works a treat and I presume it would be the same with other recent HTC headsets, the Valve Index and Windows Mixed Reality headsets - Oculus I dunno.

If you race in Virtual Reality you're also now looking at a small system performance increase as well. Also the twitchy 3D trees now don't seem to twitch so much in VR. Everything is running smoother and quicker and I'm pretty certain it's improved the AA a tad.

Link here:

You don't need to install the system wide install, instead grab the per app version and download the 64bit openvr version and (back up the original openvr.dll first by renaming it) copy and paste it into the X64 folder which is in the core PC2 folder and voila you're done!

Sometimes you have a slight screen in screen effect in the start race screen in-between races which doesn't affect changing stuff whatsoever, once the race starts press centre and it's bang on right!. Trust me (my wife wouldn't), it's all good!

There is also an openxr toolkit program you can use that comes with FSR and NIS (upscaling stuff) but THAT doesn't work with my HTC Cosmos but may do for you.

Anyhoo, with a healthy car modding community (F1 2022), now openxr and with the silver ffb (derived from AMS2 - 55% gain about 13% volume Thrustmaster TS PC) file which I've just discovered - Project Cars 2 lives on and on and is better than AMS2 (IMO) and the VR Performance is good compared to the likes of ACC!

Last edited:
I`m getting this error. It works fine on AMS2 which is the same engine tho. Any clues? Thanks!

Attachments

• error.png
    error.png
    12.1 KB · Views: 108
Hi - have you done a system wide install of it or per game; I did the latter as I couldn't get system wide to work with it. Using GTR2 for VR atm but will check PC2 again in couple of days to see if it still works and which version I'm using. On my HTC Cosmos had to set it so headset used the Vive OpenXR and not Steam's OpenXR.

Also, not sure and going on bad memory I'm not sure whether I had to start PC2 and the Vive software in one order or the other for it to click...will check.

Last edited:
What headset do you have?

be sure to use the openxr runtime of the headset rather than steam's - mine gets set in the HTC software. Also there is an order to the starting of it with my vive cosmos but off hand I can't remember. Think you have to ensure all your vr program stuff is totally off and then start the game and let that start your vr headset's software. If you have an Index then I wouldn't know how to do that as steamvr is it's only option. I'll try and have a look soon. I'm not racing pc2 atm (GTR2 VR) and have been short of time lately but will check asap when my back log (life) clears up.

Last edited:
Thanks. I have the Reverb G2. Tried everything and reinstalled the game. I compared it to AMS2 that works with openXR and did the same things with Pcars 2, so no idea what's going on..

I will try to start Pcars 2 first from Steam so it will open WMR and see if that helps.

Edit: I tried it but did not help. The error code suggests that there is something missing..?

Deleted PC2 last night as I needed the space and forgot to check for you guys before doing so - nevertheless it worked for my HTC Cosmos so I presume the HTC Vive also as both are using the Vive Console. I know you guys aren't using HTC though. Try putting the command -forcevr in the game command for PC2 in the steam libary. What I do know is system wide install of OC doesn't work for my PC2. Failing that go back in Open Composite time and see if a previous version works as the link I posted at the time probably leads to a newer version one of the one I was using which 100% worked for me.

The -forcevr command does not help. I have made a screen print of the open composite app and the error (same as OP)
Is the pCARS2AVX file the correct one? Today I downloaded the latest version of Open Composite but makes no difference to the previous one.

Attachments

• Error OpenXR.jpg
    Error OpenXR.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 114
The -forcevr command does not help. I have made a screen print of the open composite app and the error (same as OP)
Is the pCARS2AVX file the correct one? Today I downloaded the latest version of Open Composite but makes no difference to the previous one.
Okay. Take away the pc2 openvr and replace with the OC one. Go to PC2 steam libary directly and when it says do you want to use pc2 on desktop or steamvr - choose steamvr. Do NOT use ANY openxr app to try and use pc2 with OC - I'd removed the app and reboot your PC then try again. Try it again with -forcevr and without (the -forcevr may not be really needed tbh but try anyway). Also when selecting steamvr in pc2 steam libary if no joy keep to what I have just explained but try it different ways with the reverb software first active on desktop, then only in taskbar, then totally off and closed everywhere including checking task manager. And be sure to ensure the reverb openxr runtime is the chosen one and active - not steamvr's version which won't work.

Starting pc2 steamvr via steam libary is 100% crucial. It doesn't load steamvr when selecting it and goes straight to OC.

Fingers crossed....

Last edited:
Did you guys get it working? I've reinstalled PC2 again and the old and newer version of OC (openxr) works for me. For Cosmos and some other headsets you may need to start PC2 via steam library and CHOOSE steamvr as launch option and when you do it will launch OC (openxr) instead and steamvr itself will not launch. This is a known method of launching OC (openxr) for some headsets such as the HTC Cosmos and others but not all need to be done this way.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • More leagues

Votes: 17 23.9%
  • Prizes

Votes: 15 21.1%
  • Trophies

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 5 7.0%