Old RBR Articles (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium

Zaxxon released the v1.0 version of his track Olocau-Gátova for Richard Burns Rally. Made with Bob's Tracks Builder it's another masterpiece for rally lovers!

Zaxxon commented on the release: "At the end of last summer my brother and I took a car and had a nice time driving on roads near the town where we were born. We were looking for a track to model and the route from Olocau to Gátova was exactly what we were looking for: narrow, twisty and the typical look from our homeland. So it is not a real rally stage, it is just a nice place 20Km away from where I was born."

Click here to download the track

Huge thanks to Senad for his work in setting up the Server and compiling / posting the results, this can be time consuming, as I know. Thanks mate, it helps a lot. :thanks:

This proved to be a very enjoyable Rally for most of us, hope you all enjoyed the Suby and I think some of us even copied some Colin McRae crashes (I know I did :eek: ). Look forward to another Tribute style Rally in the future. I have a well known Spaniard in mind for the next one. :)

Big welcome to Krister, his first Rally and an impressive debut, only one retirement. Most of us start with lots of red ink.

Congratulations to Rick for the overall win, some really great driving skill shown. Even Rick admitted on TS that he was at the limit for almost all stages this time, and made no major mistakes.
Well done to Lukasz, for the podium, wow, only half a second between us, can't get much closer than that.
And I must comment on Eddie, who promised to ramp up his speed for this one. Boy, he sure did, some blistering Stage times there Eddie, such a shame you came undone on the last Stage, but that is what makes RBR so nerve wracking, it can happen to any of us at any time.

Since Rick and Eddie were so dominant in the Stage wins, I'll have to find another car for the next one, see if I can provide a new challenge to bring them back to the bunch. :tongue:

Thanks to all who joined, hope you can all keep the enthusiasm up for the next few Rallys. :rally::ups:

Krister Larsson;556144 said:
Guess it's about time to take those RBR driving lessons to improve my driving :redface:
Old Foggy beat Old Swede by miles! :wink:

Don't worry Krister, the "old Fogey" has had lots more experience at RBR now, and experience counts a lot in this Sim. You made a very good debut.
I still go back to the Rally School regularly, it makes more sense after a few Rallys. I'm just now starting to get the hang of the Handbrake turns, but still can't do a Scandanavian Flick to save myself. The only time I do one is by pure accident after getting crossed up under brakes. :wink:

Ramon van Rijn;556405 said:
Is something changed? I didn't noticed it?

Yesterday at around 2-3PM, they were updating something on the forum, it was unavailable for some time. When it came back, the layout was similar to a generic phpBB forum; avatar on the left, join date, location, age and stuff below it, text to the right, stuff like that. I tried to change it back, but didn't find the option. It went back to where it was on its own later, so maybe it was just a dream, dunno :)

Senad Subasic;556239 said:
I use a button too, but I don't have a shifter, so no choice really. The trouble is that I often steer with my left hand only, especially while sliding on gravel. I often have trouble finding the handbrake button after that :D

yep, same here, use a button and when I have just moved my hand to the shifter going into the turn I sometimes hit one of the other buttons which produces slightly quixotic effects. Decided to stick with a violent turn in sans handbrake and it worked quit well.

Warren Dawes;556289 said:
Look forward to another Tribute style Rally in the future. I have a well known Spaniard in mind for the next one. :)
Celica? Nice :]
Eckhart von Glan;556814 said:
yep, same here, use a button and when I have just moved my hand to the shifter going into the turn I sometimes hit one of the other buttons which produces slightly quixotic effects. Decided to stick with a violent turn in sans handbrake and it worked quit well.

I never seem to be able to hit any of regular buttons on the wheel on time, so the handbrake is set to... left paddle :]. Works very well as my left hand never leaves the wheel and the right one is on the shifter most of the time.

Community movie maker 6e66o released a video showing the Impreza 95 at work in Richard Burns Rally, the rally simulation known for its excellent physics.

6e66o asks himself the question if we really need a new WRC Game with RBR already embraced by the simracing community.

What are your thoughts? The latest WRC Game video can be found here

"6e66o asks himself the question if we really need a new WRC Game..."

Oh, a new WRC Game would be more than welcome.
I just dont think we get a decent one in the near future :tongue:

But i dont want to be too pessimistic,
lets see what Milestone has to offer.

It will be tough to compete with RBR though :wink:

6e66o;570535 said:
"6e66o asks himself the question if we really need a new WRC Game..."

I did buy Dirt2. But I'm not much of a Rally enthusiast. I tried to install the last version of the RBR. It played havoc with my O.S. Not being interested enough to solve all the problems and figure all the peculiarities of adding files, address hard ware etc. etc. I removed it. Other people like me who might be more interested in an easily accessible Rally game might be more enthusiastic for the "all done for you", WRC Game. So I think there is a market share available. Especially when you consider the consoles. :rolleyes:

Yes, we need a new rally game - one called "Richard Burns Rally 2" :)

Seriously tho, I am glad we are finally getting a new rally game, but if it is designed for the mainstream like DIRT 2, it will not appeal to the RBR fans. I will be buying it when (if?) it releases in the US, but I do not think it will supplant RBR for me.

"Can the upcoming WRC Game beat RBR?"

A question no doubt designed to raise pre-release interest in WRC 2010, but only time will tell what the answer is. When WRC 2010 is released and we get to try it, then we can decide.
However, RBR has set the bar very high for serious Sim Rally enthusiasts on the PC. There is certainly room for expansion / improvement in RBR, mainly in the area of Track / Stage development and on-line multiplayer access. The driving physics of RBR is amazing, and this will be the task ahead for WRC 2010 if it is to win over the serious Sim Rally guys.
Will it be Richard Burns Rally 2? We can only hope but I'm not confident.

This Rally we try to emulate the Top Guns from the 2009 WRC Series, Sebastien Loeb and Mikko Hirvonen, who had a memorable battle for the Championship. Thanks to Cam for the inspiration for this Rally.

We drive the top of class WRC cars, the Citroen C4 or the Ford Focus, very fast and powerful, the F1’s of Rally. Can we match the amazing skills of Loeb or Hirvonen? To add to the experience, we can use the appropriate skins, see details below.

The Stages cover various default Stages across many countries, but are mostly Gravel, with a couple of Snow Stages thrown in for variety. The weather is mild, to help us keep these powerful beasts under control.

Licensed members can sign up here. Not a licensed member yet? Get your free license here.

A little video to give you a taste of what you can expect.

Ondrej Kapal has released a promo trailer for another new RD league - the RaceDepartment Rally Championship.

Using the legendary Richard Burns Rally, this new league takes drivers barreling along virtual rally stages across the world. Given the recent popularity of the rally club events, this league is sure to take off quicker than an Impreza over a jump!

The information concerning the new league can be found here, while signups are now open and can be found here.

So if you have Richard Burns Rally and are itching for some friendly competition, be sure to join in on the fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 12 23.5%
  • More leagues

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • Prizes

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • Trophies

Votes: 5 9.8%