Old chestnut: GTL crashes to desktop as soon as I hit Race or Practice

Hi, I hope someone can help me.
I'm an old GPLer and as dedicated AC racer but yesterday I found my old GTL disk and got a hankering to explore it again. After doing a bit of research I decided to buy the Steam version rather than use the disk. I have a Steam installation and another one on my D: drive with the 10th Anniversary mod installed carefully and following all the recommended steps (except for the step about copying and pasting the ENGLISH folder, which I don't understand as it doesn't say where to put it).

Anyway both installs load up the intro screens and allow me to create a profile, and the unlock cheat works (after a bit of frustrating faffing about). I only have the unlock cheat on the 10th Anniversary install.

On both installs as soon as I try to go on track (any track, any car, any mode) the game immediately crashes to the desktop and is no longer running. I have tried every suggestion I can find (run as Admin mainly which doesn't help, I've set the game in Process Lasso as recommended, tried different compatibilities (XP 3, Me etc), fiddled about in NVidia Profiler) but nothing I've tried helps at all.

Any ideas, anyone? I'd be grateful to get this solved!

About the optional language in 10th AP : select all content of chosen language (for you enter "ENGLISH" folder) and copy all content (you should see GameData folder) and paste in your GTL game folder where you also have GameData folder and click YES to overwrite ALL files/folders.

With the 10th Anniv. Patch you've got a file called "GTL_DEBUG.BAT" so run it and after CrashToDesktop go to \UserData\Log and you will find a file "trace.txt" : please attach this file here to see what's wrong (in general the error is written at the bottom of this file)

So your CTD happens with both stock steam version and modded 10th AP ? Did you add some extra cars or tracks ?

Last edited:
Maybe it was due to the dummy folder created in MyDocuments when you forget to set administrator/winXP to the EXE because the GTL_DEBUG.BAT deletes this file just before running GTL.EXE and this is certainly why it works now.
Anyway you can enjoy this old title with tons of cars/tracks to add now ;)

Sorry to revive this, but I have the same problem except nothing I've tried helps. The trace file ends with "plrfile.cpp 3381: Entered PlayerFile::Restart()" and no errors. It's a fresh steam install with no mods, I did try with 10th anniversary mod but had the same issue. Any ideas?

edit: figured it out - I have an external USB sound card and I should really have remembered sooner that only a few days ago I was having issues with some other old game because of it. If I select another audio output I get on track fine.

Last edited:
Do not forget that you must not overwrite steam folder with any mods : always keep steam install unmodified because steam always check files integrity and will restore to stock any file you attempt to modify. So with simbin games such as gtl/gtr2 you need first to copy the entire game install from steamapps to another safe locations like d:\GTL and then you can install all the mods that you want :)

Maybe it was due to the dummy folder created in MyDocuments when you forget to set administrator/winXP to the EXE because the GTL_DEBUG.BAT deletes this file just before running GTL.EXE and this is certainly why it works now.
Anyway you can enjoy this old title with tons of cars/tracks to add now ;)
Was just reloading GTL and had this problem, You helped me again and didn't even know :D

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back