Odyssey G9 vs triple screens

Cubus

Premium
Hi there,

I'm trying to research best display options for myself.
I'm giving a Reverb G2 a try thanks to a forum member but I still wanted to have a look at screen options.

What is ultimately a better option. Samsung G9 49" or a triple 27" setup?
I understand I get a bit more FOV with triple, but how about then a G9 + head tracker?

Any advice you may be willing to share would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Well I guess I'm very qualified to comment on this since I currently own both. I went from triples to VR, basically stopped racing because of VR and then got the crg9 to try and get back into it. I found it is a great compromise monitor for sim Racing but I really missed the wider view from triples. Picked up a set of triple Full-HD 144hz IPS screens two weeks ago and have been over the moon with them!

How I tried to use the crg9 49 on my desk and roll my rig under it didn't really work out. Great monitor that I use everyday but triples is my choice for sim Racing.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

G9 especially with TrackIR is good enough to save triples hassle.

I was afraid of the "tripples hassle" braved it anyway and don´t think that should be a deterrent.

Mounting is not that big of an issue with a good stand and configuring it even I could manage on AMD and later Nvidia.

The big advantage for me is the bigger FOV which allows closer racing without unnatural head movements as for Track IR. It´s just like sitting in your irl car.

Most of all the FOV gives me that corner of an eye sight which leads to better track awareness
( both apexes and other cars) and it revived my countersteer reflex. I have that in real life driving/drifting and now also in the sim. Even a 42" screen could not do that for me as it was not " in the corner of my eye"

Whether it is a hassle to configure track IR and what PC specs are necessary others may chime in, for a decent tripple 1080p experience a R5 3600x and a RX5700XT were enough.

And when it runs it runs, there is not more need for everyday tinkering as in VR ( and Track IR /hearsay, not my own experience.)

MFG Carsten

• Deleted member 197115

I had 42" 16:9 monitor before and 49" Ultrawide is nothing compared to that. TrackIR also somehow feels completely natural on curved screen, there is very little horizontal peeking angle needed anyway, I set it once and completely forgot about it, the only thing to remember is just start it before launching games.
Not saying it can beat proper triple screen, but it's a very nice modern compromise with high resolution 5120x1440, curve almost mimicking triples, G-Sync, and HDR support , even replaced VR for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! Thank you so much for feedback. Sounds like a 49" ultra wide could indeed be a strong option.

I quite like it because my station is multipurpose and I think I'd utilize 49" to its full capabilities more often than a triple screen setup.

Wow! Thank you so much for feedback. Sounds like a 49" ultra wide could indeed be a strong option.

I quite like it because my station is multipurpose and I think I'd utilize 49" to its full capabilities more often than a triple screen setup.
I'll have a hard time going back to a single 16:9 screen as my main monitor after have the 49" it is just a marvel to use! I don't like all of my games on it but a lot of them just feels better to me. With my triples I didn't want to break the bank looked for the best options for the best price I could get. I'll only use those monitors for racing and they stay on my rig.

I would say if your trying to get the best case scenario for multi use, the 49" is hands down the best way to go but you do give up that extra field of view.

I just moved from a 49" ultrawide to 32" triples. The peripheral vision with triples is far more life like than what you get with a 49" in my opinion. With 32" monitors you get a bit more vertical screen space as well, which also helps with the immersion.
I've tried TrackIR, and while nice, it just can't compete with real screens each side of you.

I have opted to use a bit of hybrid triples. I use a 34" ultrawide in the middle and 2 x 27" monitors on the sides. It offers a bit more FOV in the main field of focus but you also get the benefit of peripheral vision. All of my panels are also curved so it has a pretty smooth and natural transition between panels.

Also considering a move from my TV to triples or an Odyssey G9.

For switching between games that require NV Surround and those with native support for triples, how much of a hassle is it to deal with?

A question for someone with Odyssey G9.
How does this monitor do for office tasks or photo editing? Is it usable for productivity tasks or is it unnatural due to large curve?

• Deleted member 197115

IMO G9 really shines when permanently bolted to racing rig, if you want something more universal on your desk for a variety of tasks including photo editing and non racing gaming, more traditional 21:9 Ultrawide like this 38" LG might be a better choice, also comes with better IPS panel.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also use the G9 49" mounted to my P1X, together with head tracking. It works very well for simracing when you get the TrackIR dialed in (can take some time and patience...). Also works well for flight sim as well. I have zero desire to move to triple screens, even if it was free.

Also went from g2 to Samsung g9 (without track ir atm) and very happy. Will possibly add track ir but I can see apex’s and countersteer fine. U get most of the windscreen and one side window and I use a simhub radar for extra awareness. Didn’t need to upgrade my 2070s either and can run high/ultra settings at 1440p no probs.

A question for someone with Odyssey G9.
How does this monitor do for office tasks or photo editing? Is it usable for productivity tasks or is it unnatural due to large curve?
It is the best work monitor I have used. Much better than a dual screen setup. The curve is not an issue because you don't span any single app across the whole monitor.

@No Depth
For switching between games that require NV Surround and those with native support for triples, how much of a hassle is it to deal with?
It's a pain in the ass for me, I use my PC for work too so I have 2 screens on my desk and 3 on my rig and they don't play nice with each other when I try NV Surround so I just don't use it and stopped playing raceroom as it needed it.

I now play just AMS2 which has native triple support built in and ACC using this software:

When I'm working and restored to just changing a DP and an HDMI cable into the GPU and making sure the other 3 monitors are off so they don't get detected by the PC and then Vice versa when using the rig.

But the triples are amazing to racing!

@No Depth

It's a pain in the ass for me, I use my PC for work too so I have 2 screens on my desk and 3 on my rig and they don't play nice with each other when I try NV Surround so I just don't use it and stopped playing raceroom as it needed it.

I now play just AMS2 which has native triple support built in and ACC using this software:

When I'm working and restored to just changing a DP and an HDMI cable into the GPU and making sure the other 3 monitors are off so they don't get detected by the PC and then Vice versa when using the rig.

But the triples are amazing to racing!
Ended up installing triples this weekend actually. I too have five monitors(3+1 above for my rig and an Ultrawide at my desk, which mostly is plugged into my work laptop anyway, unless I want to play non-sim games and I swap inputs on the monitor).

Previously I had a single tv and the top monitor for my rig and swapping was practically automated. Turning on the rig automatically switched everything appropriately and my desk monitor switched over to rig control.

Now, I’ve got an issue. Since the GPU does not allow more than four monitors total, my top rig monitor either needs to share a plug with my desk one, or I need to use the internal mobo graphics to have all five plugged in. That actually works ok, but if I do that, the triples are forced to 60hz. I dunno if that’s a cap forced by the internal mobo graphics? Without any other monitor plugged in, the mobo monitor can handle 120hz, but introducing the triples in the mix and I’m forced down to 60hz. Putting all four rig monitors on the GPU gives full refresh rates for all. So this plan is a bust unless maybe I get a newer mobo with better integrated graphics?

For now I’m forced to choose between the 4th on my rig or my desk. Not a big deal as I mostly game on my rig anyway and ky work monitor rarely switches to my gaming pc. So I’ve left it unplugged and my pc is basically dedicated to my rig now.

Surprisingly nv surround has been ok for me otherwise. Tried a ton of racing games and most work without fuss(despite many having the distortion effect, which I don’t find too bad really).. But yea would be nice to get all monitors working cleanly.

Last edited:
With complexities around tripple monitors, how much of a hassle is it to return to a single screen config to do office work?
Is it as easy as powering down monitors you don't need, or is there going to be some settings or unplugging involved?

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • More leagues

Votes: 40 19.1%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.6%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 13 6.2%