Oculus Rift info needed.

I'm going to be looking for an Oculus really soon. I assume it is the best 3d system out there. What do I need to know about them to get the best? Which model? How are the sensors involved if at all? Are more of them better? I really just need Oculus Rift for Dummies book.

First off, you'll need to post your specs to get a good basic idea of the performance.
That said, if your system has good quality components and they're fully maximized for efficiency you'll love the experience.
I'm five days over the one year mark since buying my CV1.
I can't say enough good things about the experience in terms of feel of reality and smoothness while in game.
At the time of purchase, I received the Rift, two sensors, a pair of touch controllers, remote, X-box wireless controller w/ receiver and all associated cables.
The setup was easy (I skipped Guardian setup) since mine is used 100% for simracing.

Thank you for replying,my system specs are,
2600k cpu @4.3,24 gig of 1600 ram,and a 1080ti gpu,my son say,s he will drive me to pick one up tomorrow,if it seem,s that it will run ok.
I have ran the Steam vr tool,and also the oculus one,and get a thumbs up on both,Thank's again.
Oh,just remembered,can you tell me how many usb ports are needed,i know you need hdmi from the gpu,though my 4k monitor is connected via displayport.

Thank you for replying,my system specs are,
2600k cpu @4.3,24 gig of 1600 ram,and a 1080ti gpu,my son say,s he will drive me to pick one up tomorrow,if it seem,s that it will run ok.
I have ran the Steam vr tool,and also the oculus one,and get a thumbs up on both,Thank's again.
Oh,just remembered,can you tell me how many usb ports are needed,i know you need hdmi from the gpu,though my 4k monitor is connected via displayport.
Bear in mind I have two sensors...so three USB and one HDMI were required.
I needed extra ports so I 'scrounged' in my hardware pile and installed a PCI-e USB 2.0 card to handle the sensors.
The headset is on USB 3.0
I have zero tracking issues.

My brother and I were discussing both our needs for new systems. This is what he suggested. "do a i7 8700k cpu 1080 Nvidia GPU 32 gig of ddr4 and liquid cooling." So is he CV1 the newest version? You say you have to sensors, but I read someone saying 3 was better. I'm confused about the xbox controller since I only use that for bike sims and of curse a wheel for car sims an a joy stick for MSFX. But my system seems to only see one controller at a time.... Like I said. I need the for dummies explanation/version....

Yes, you should get the CV1 version (CV1 stands for Consumer Version 1). The other versions (DK1, DK2) are meant for developers. You should just start with the standard package Oculus sells (https://www.amazon.com/Oculus-Touch-Virtual-Reality-System-pc/dp/B073X8N1YW?th=1). It comes with the headset, two motion sensors, and two touch controllers. The bundle also comes with 6 free games which you will have to download. You can buy an extra sensor separately but a racing sim won't need it since you are just sitting in the cockpit. I also never find a 3rd sensor is necessary even playing non-racing games.

BTW, my PC is a Ryzen 5, 16 GB of RAM, and a Nvidia 1060 and it runs the Rift perfectly fine. You just need to make sure the motherboard has enough 3.0 and 2.0 USB ports to support the Rift, any driving simulator you have, and other peripherals (keyboard, mouse etc).

You don't need the XBox controller for the PC.

Hope that helps!

My PC is a i7-2600K, 16gb ram and a 1070. It's OK for VR. The CPU is the bottleneck, mine is overclocked and sometimes it struggles but overall it's fine for AC as long as you don't want to run full grids of AI.

I bought the rift with one sensor and it works fine for sim racing. If your turning around to look behind you it can lose tracking but overall I don't think you need a second sensor.

I did get the touch eventually and the second sensor did make the tracking better and it gives you the full VR experience in other titles.

There really is only one version of the rift for sale. It's just a matter of whether you want to buy just the headset and a sensor, or the kit that includes the touch controllers. You don't need the touch controllers for sim racing.

I got a Lenovo Explore WindowsMr which is generally a lot cheaper and newer than the Rift.
The Windows Mixed reality headsets starts with 1440 x 1440 res vs the Rifts 1080 x 1200.
Apart form the Samsung HMD they are all LCD vs the Rift and Vive's Oled screen.
The Oled screen got better colors and blacks while the LCD got sharper picture.
So for racing and flight sims it is easier to read the the often small text on Instruments and Motec.
On the track I can't say I really notice a higher res.
Samsung got a unit with Oled 1600 x 1440 screen just like the new Vive Pro.
The WindowsMr are generally lighter have a much better head strap that distribute the weight better.
They got insideout tracking so not cams and no lighthouses needed.
You do need a well lit room at night or the headset can't find your boundaries.
It will then switch to standing mode which works fine for race sims

Disadvantages are you have to run Windows 10 and some older cpu's will not work.
Also no IPD. If your IPD isn't close to 63 mm then this headset is not going to work for you

A friend got a Rift and a neighbor got a Vive and we can all 3 see advantages with the other units but none of us would swap our headsets with any of the other!
Think it is best to try which HMD works best for you!

63 mm does it go for all msvr headsets or just the lenovo? I run that on my Rift so I guess it would work then. As for optics read impressions on the hp where reading small text would be worse on it then on the rift despite the higher resolution. Due to failed optics but you find the optics works better on the lenovo over the rift? And it´s not blurry outside center?

Is there a lot of light leakage when having to run the room fully lit? As for screendoor is the MSVR closer to the totally screendoor free PSVR or is there a lot of screendoor like on the rift and vive still?

The 63 mm goes for all the affordable headset while the Samsung unit got adjustable IPD and 1600 X 1440 oled screen.
On the Lenovo I swapped the forehead and back head pad like many have done. That put my eyes closer to the optics and I got a much lager sweet spot and higher FOV.
While there are screen door effects is is much less as the lcd screen are using RGB dots while the Vive and the Rift are using Oled Pentile so the screen door effect are not those very obvious lines you got on the Rift and the Vive.
Would say I am not noticing the screen door at all .
You do not need a fully lit room but tracking does not work well in a dark room.
It will still work for sim racing as it will just switch to standing / sitting mode.
Mine fit really well so have very little light leakage. Only a little by the nose so a highly lit room would not bother me. But I only use the light from the monitor and a 4.8W led lamp over the area which is more than enough.

Interesting fix. Noticed same with thinner inserts om Rift and vive. Have you done and Flight Sims? How much further can you spot planes with the lenovo
Do not know if I can spot them any further away as I tend to get blown out the skies before I spot other planes!:(
I am still stuck in il-2 1946 and CoD so tend to use my home theater projector for flightsims with a EDtracker.
With a GTX 970 I have to lower settings anyway in VR.
Do plan on getting the next XX80 so might enjoy flight sims in VR as much as I do race sim.

Personally I would wait for the next gen of VR to hit the market, I have CV1 and while it's awesome et-cetera the 2nd gen units will be far better for resolution and dpi, not to mention potentially wireless which will grant greater freedom of movement for open space/map games.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.4%
  • More leagues

Votes: 41 19.4%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.4%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.4%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 14 6.6%