Now we need better clutch support ;-)

Now with the release of dtm 92 car packs we have lots of great cars to drive with H shifter, and they're not alone: The audi GTO, etc are also H pattern shifter car.

But, there's a big but. Clutch support is still an issue in r3e.

What we have today :

- a clutch setting "auto" or "manual" in the general settings of the game named "car settings". Some reminiscence of old menus/settings I guess.
- an H pattern yes/no in controls settings
- sensitivity and "dead zone" (only for IN/begin) in advanced settings in controllers settings.
- No awareness at all about the kind of gearbox the car you drive. You need to set auto clutch when driving a sequential gearbox car, otherwise you will damage the transmission in less than 2 laps
- clutch release/spinning point to is set to 100% pedal press. You need to fully press the clutch pedal. This is not realistic, release point is more often somewhere in the middle of the travel of the clutch pedal. It's hard to drive fast and impossible to drive with mechanical damage On, you'll damage the transmission in few laps...
- no slipping zone on the clutch release point. Looks like some ON/Off button.
- with "mechanical damage" Off you can drive a H pattern gearbox without pressing the clutch (manual clutch ON) . There's nothing against it, and nothing to tell you that you need to use the clutch pedals. The car will drive as if you pressed clutch pedal.

Now what we need :

- the first very little thing that can help will be to be able to set an "out/end" deadzone for the clutch.
With that we will be able to move the release point were it should be : not at the end of the travel of the clutch pedal (in a much more realistic point )
- the second will be to get rid of the "car settings" in the general game settings and put the clutch settings were the direction settings are now : in the car setup menu. Or at least in the session settings.
- Last but not least. The "get real" need to consider the gearbox type of the car and automatically change the type of clutch depending of it: H pattern, sequential with clutch, sequential robotised, etc. So we will not have to change the clutch settings and leave it on some "get real" settings
- not being able to shift so easily without a good clutch release/engage timing in "get real" while driving a h pattern gearbox car.

I really hope we will have some improvement here, at this time the joy of driving dtm 92 car is a little bit reduced by all of this.

May i suggest Fanatec? The belt drives are a wonder of smoothness. They have reliability issues from time to time, but the feel of the wheels are great.

I will never go back to a geared wheel again after using belt drive... Can't stand that rattling feel when turning.

For replacing the G27 maybe a GT3 RS V2 wheel with shifter kit and Elite pedals. The Fanatec load cell pedals by the way, are the best i've tried...
what s the cheapest fanatic wheel you can get ,I looked on the site but got bit confused with bundles etc etc

fanatac&reliability issues, i read everywhere, they wheels and pedals are imo expensive aswell. 150€ for pedals? for 400€ i expect atleast 3 years a 100% working wheel, or is this too much expected?!?

still on my 90€-DFGT, besides the pedals, not sure if anything is really wrong with it. KillerWheel :D

yeah im starting to think that jay, I was on the verge of ordering the TX, but only really cos the FFB supposedly is better (im sure it is) but 220£ better...hhhmmm!

As for the pedals are the same, and I will be missing the excellent sequential shifter, (a gem on the dfgt imo) im not sure its worth changing until its broke. I did the sponge mod recently and made the pedals feel a bit more stiffer. Did help tbh

yeah, the seq shifter is good, not sure what i want to do with a h-shifter, i'm just slower with it, though it may be for some older cars realistic to use h-shifter....but driving faster is more important ;)

need to try that softball mod aswell, only have a hackysack here atm :D

yeah don't get me wrong the corvete on rf2 felt great in manual with clutch, but theres still something about sim racing with full manual that doesn't feel right , almost like the clutch isn't needed.?! It doesn't behave like a real clutch (obviously ol)

I think maybe using a clutch pedal in sim racing is a personal choice thing (sorry to state the obvious). If you use DXTweak to set the bite point, you can get a fairly realistic effect. I don't have load cell pedals, but I guess that they'd improve on this? They're on my wish list.
You're quite correct though, if the sim doesn't reward you for correct use of the clutch, or penalise you for not using it correctly, all you have left is immersion vs faster lap times. Grinding tranny mod in rFactor forces you to change gear properly, but unless everybody you're racing against is using it, you're at a disadvantage.
My mod of choice is HistorX on rFactor. All the cars would have had H shifters, so I bought a TH8 shifter and I love it. If I'm not as quick as someone who uses paddles I have a ready made excuse. If I beat them, I can give myself a chufty badge.... Win win. ;)

Not that I am aware of. The CSP V2 have sort of cantilever feature/function and it's definitely something you can feel when you depress the clutch, but it's not always in synch with the SIM. It may be possible to tweak the game settings so it to coincides with when the clutch actuates within the game, but I haven't had the chance to try that yet. Did that make sense? I don't know.

I have a question regarding clutches: Do modern race cars use slipper clutches, as bikes do, or is it auto-clutch, or what? I know next to nothing about cars (including how to drive them) :O_o:

Not that I am aware of. The CSP V2 have sort of cantilever feature/function and it's definitely something you can feel when you depress the clutch, but it's not always in synch with the SIM. It may be possible to tweak the game settings so it to coincides with when the clutch actuates within the game, but I haven't had the chance to try that yet. Did that make sense? I don't know.
Fanatec call it a degressive mechanism so the clutch provides some sort of feel for a biting point. As you said, this needs to be in sync with the sim and R3E provides no way of doing this. At present we effectively have a 'digital' clutch that only disengages/engages without damage at 100% pedal travel. So for the time being I don't drive with manual clutch until some tweaking of the settings are available.

No a tiny little problem with my TX so far;) And I bought it on release. The reason why the faulty TX are so present on the forums is, that people having issues post it here and there to find a solution. Why should someone without any problem loose a word about how great it is running? ;)
If you have a chance, buy it and try it. It's just great!! But replace the stock pedals, they are crap...

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • More leagues

Votes: 17 23.6%
  • Prizes

Votes: 15 20.8%
  • Trophies

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 5 6.9%