Newbie question re ACC with VR

Hi.

I'm currently playing Assetto Corsa as a relative newcomer to Sim racing. I've got an old G920 that a colleague gave me when they upgraded but have a CSL ELite wheel base and pedals, with the LC, on order from Fanatec.

My question is regarding VR in the Competizione game and what I could expect from the PC I have, I know very little about the newer game other than Steam reviews regarding VR aren't (or weren't) great.

I've got a Samsung Odyssey (not the +) and run an i9 9900ks, RTX 2080Ti, with 32GB RAM on a Strix Z390-F gaming motherboard. Is VR well optimised now? Could I run decent FPS with some of the pretty bits turned up?

I find myself driving GT cars predominantly in AC so am interested in Competizione....well, single player for now at least:)

Thanks

I love VR with the Rift CV1, yes it’s a little blurrier than AC, iRacing and AMS2 but there are many settings you can use to clear it up if your PC is up to the task which yours will be.
What does your CPU run at? I run a lesser Cpu (9700k @5Ghz) less RAM and a lesser GPU (1080). I have had no issues racing 40 people on RD servers.
Edit: I do run ASW forced on with 45FPS locked using the Oculus Debut Tool to lock it.

Well, my PC spec may be impressive but my driving stats certainly aren't:D Thanks for that @cerebralvortex, I'd tried my best to go through the VR thread several posts below but there's so much information with much of it changing after various updates. Looks like I may buy another game.....Lockdown is getting expensive:laugh:

Choose the epic preset in-game and with your specs you can even up the quality from there.

I love VR with the Rift CV1, yes it’s a little blurrier than AC, iRacing and AMS2 but there are many settings you can use to clear it up if your PC is up to the task which yours will be.
What does your CPU run at? I run a lesser Cpu (9700k @5Ghz) less RAM and a lesser GPU (1080). I have had no issues racing 40 people on RD servers.
Edit: I do run ASW forced on with 45FPS locked using the Oculus Debut Tool to lock it.
It runs at 5Ghz, hopefully all that is enough to give some welly to the VR settings. You mention 40 people on servers being ok....thats my next big step, racing online - without taking anyone else off the track with me!

Are you fine with reprojection and running at half the headsets frame rate? Because even on VR low on a 1080 ti I can't get 90 fps on an Odyssey+ , so its reprojecting all the time.There is no way you are running this on epic at full FPS in VR even with a 2080ti, even +30% more performance is not enough to sustain 90 fps at vr low. Some people are fine with half frame rate in racing games I am not.

Are you fine with reprojection and running at half the headsets frame rate? Because even on VR low on a 1080 ti I can't get 90 fps on an Odyssey+ , so its reprojecting all the time.There is no way you are running this on epic at full FPS in VR even with a 2080ti, even +30% more performance is not enough to sustain 90 fps at vr low. Some people are fine with half frame rate in racing games I am not.
Only with reprojection my friend, sorry.

Is this the VR optimisation within the game? I’m not a big techie. If it’s the kind of thing that is likely to be addressed in future updates then I’ll keep a better eye on what’s happening but if it’s ‘hardwired’ into the game then I’d probably stick with AC.

I don’t come into issues with reprojection in the other games I play but that’s just AC1, iL-Sturmovik and Elite Dangerous.

I‘m sure this has been discussed time and again, and by people more knowledgeable than me so apologies if this all seems pretty obvious to everyone.

Is this the VR optimisation within the game?

All it really means is the game is running at half frame rate, so 45 fps. What the software for VR does is then reserve a bit of GPU time to shift the previous image so that rotated head motion results in the image shifting so you don't get instant VR motion sickness caused by the low frame rate. The problem is that doesn't work for head translation (forward/back, left/right) and the game world itself is still stuttering away at half frame rate. Oculus has some other techniques that do more to compensate for the other scenarios and that helps but on SteamVR you end up with reprojection compensation. Now in racing you may or may not do much head translation, I do in slow-speed corners move my head to look into the corner, and that is what probably makes me ill, but even whizzing down the straight you will see the world apparently jumping forward due to the half FPS.

The various techniques for VR try to improve the situation as 45 fps with no correction is an instant barf fest but reprojection is not a state games are meant to stay in, it was added to deal with temporary problems so as not cause an instant severe issue for the user as it's very noticeable especially when it transitions. ACC spends all its time at 45 fps and as such it makes a bunch of people sick to their stomachs, but some can tolerate it. It's much worse than gaming with vsync on and getting stuck at 30 fps just due to the way head motion works and how it impacts motion sickness feeling. ACC as such IMO is not a VR compatible game, it can be run in VR but it doesn't meet an acceptable standard for VR performance on any hardware available today. Many more people will suffer sickness due to the constant low frame rate than just about anything else VR can do to make you feel unwell.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.