New vr glasses?StarVr

Judging from the current crop of racing simulators, we would first need a CPU 2-3x faster in single thread performance in order not to dip into the 50fps in online races.

With the amount of cpu drawcalls those 210º FOV will demand, i'll be lucky to be scratching 90fps in a hotlap with the current king (8700K)

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Everyone SuperSamples to at least x2 (SteamVR) to make things look acceptable. That will just move SS resolution closer to native, without impact on performance. Plus they feature Foveated rendering which should do full rendering only at where your eyes focus, not sure how that will work with existing titles and GPUs but you can read about this here
https://uploadvr.com/starvr-one-90-fps-steamvr/

BTW, resolution jump from Vive Pro and Odyssey is not that great.
1830×1464 vs 1440x1600
Don't think this is enough to get rid of severe SDE.

Upvote 0
Seems more commercial focused but as long as it works. Just happy to see a lot of different options out there for VR. I'll stick with the Rift until we get some next gen front runners.

Upvote 0
yeah aimed at the business market, impressive specs though to say the least. Will be interesting to see price and whether they will be a direct challenger for the Vive Pro in that regard. Good either way as above more on the market, more exposure for VR and another player to bring to the table.

Upvote 0
Everyone SuperSamples to at least x2 (SteamVR) to make things look acceptable. That will just move SS resolution closer to native, without impact on performance. Plus they feature Foveated rendering which should do full rendering only at where your eyes focus, not sure how that will work with existing titles and GPUs but you can read about this here
https://uploadvr.com/starvr-one-90-fps-steamvr/

BTW, resolution jump from Vive Pro and Odyssey is not that great.
1830×1464 vs 1440x1600
Don't think this is enough to get rid of severe SDE.

SDE doesn't bother me in the Rift, but the narrow FoV does. Peripheral vision is important in motor racing and the current HMDs chop that off. I'd be very excited to try a 210 degree FoV HMD in a sim, I think it'd be a game changer.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

SDE doesn't bother me in the Rift, but the narrow FoV does. Peripheral vision is important in motor racing and the current HMDs chop that off. I'd be very excited to try a 210 degree FoV HMD in a sim, I think it'd be a game changer.
Opposite here, quite happy with FOV but SDE, esp on distant objects just kills me. And I am using 250% SS.
Still can't figure out if I like Advanced Supersampling Filtering on or off, what do you guys prefer?

Upvote 0
Supersampling isn’t going to change physical pixel pitch and density so a native resolution upgrade is still going to be beneficial. It’s not like SS can’t be applied to next gen units for further benefits.

The FOV is something I paid attention to last night when driving the ring. Basically with a wider FOV there would be more eye turning than head turning to see through the corner. Being able to see track edge from the corner of the eye without any movement would help with car placement also.

Upvote 0
Supersampling isn’t going to change physical pixel pitch and density so a native resolution upgrade is still going to be beneficial. It’s not like SS can’t be applied to next gen units for further benefits.

The FOV is something I paid attention to last night when driving the ring. Basically with a wider FOV there would be more eye turning than head turning to see through the corner. Being able to see track edge from the corner of the eye without any movement would help with car placement also.
What catches me out with the narrow FoV of the Rift (even with Crew Chief doing its normal excellent thing) is not noticing cars alongside me until they are pretty much level. This is where I think better peripheral vision would greatly help, apart from adding to the overall depth of immersion and sense of presence. If the Pimax can deliver higher resolution AND wider FoV without horrendous warping then I won't mind spending a small fortune on it and a new GPU to achieve that.

Having said that I still think the VR sim racing experience in the Rift is incredible, even with the slight scuba mask tunnel vision and SDE.

Upvote 0
What catches me out with the narrow FoV of the Rift (even with Crew Chief doing its normal excellent thing) is not noticing cars alongside me until they are pretty much level. This is where I think better peripheral vision would greatly help, apart from adding to the overall depth of immersion and sense of presence. If the Pimax can deliver higher resolution AND wider FoV without horrendous warping then I won't mind spending a small fortune on it and a new GPU to achieve that.

Having said that I still think the VR sim racing experience in the Rift is incredible, even with the slight scuba mask tunnel vision and SDE.

You could argue that rift is simulating real life. Drivers getting tunnel vision as soon as they are under pressure :)

Upvote 0
Yeah was just about to mention the Helmet, also the big Head Rests that modern race cars have these days limit vision (but that's outside the "head" so to speak!). There is a Helmet Cam for some cars in RF2 (only it's slightly off centre which bugs me) and that in VR really portrays the limited visuals you get when racing, if anything the FOV we have now with current HMDs is pretty much Helmet FOV, perhaps a little wider if anything....depending on the Helmet design of course!

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

And image is sharp only when looking dead on at the center sweet spot.
Diminishes advantage of increased FOV, unless oprics improved as well.

Upvote 0
And image is sharp only when looking dead on at the center sweet spot.
Diminishes advantage of increased FOV, unless oprics improved as well.
Everybody's real-life peripheral vision is a blurry mess - it's just how our eyes work. Peripheral vision is there to help sense movement and to indicate that there is something there, not necessarily what that thing is. If it's of interest we turn our heads to see it in focus. A blurred image around the perimeter of an HMD isn't therefore necessarily a big disadvantage, and if resolution is deliberately reduced (like with foveated rendering) then it can offer a useful performance boost.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Everybody's real-life peripheral vision is a blurry mess - it's just how our eyes work. Peripheral vision is there to help sense movement and to indicate that there is something there, not necessarily what that thing is. If it's of interest we turn our heads to see it in focus. A blurred image around the perimeter of an HMD isn't therefore necessarily a big disadvantage, and if resolution is deliberately reduced (like with foveated rendering) then it can offer a useful performance boost.
About FOVRendering, I've been wondering for a while why do they need fancy tech with eyes tracking if with Fresnel lenses we are still getting sharp image only at the center. Can as well just do full detailed rendering only there, at the optical sweet spot.

Upvote 0

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 229 88.4%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 47 18.1%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 36 13.9%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 38 14.7%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 69 26.6%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 88 34.0%