New to Sim Racing - Looking for something to mimic my Spec Miata

Hello Everyone,

I'm brand new to sim racing but have been racing spec miata for a couple years. I want to get a racing rig that will help me train in the off season. Looking for something that will have similar pedal feel and steering weight to my non power steering miata. I am planning to do iRacing.

I would love motion but I see it's very expensive. I'd rather get a cheaper chassis that I can replace with motion later and spend more on pedals, steering, and shifter. I want to try VR but I think I might be nauseous with it and might stick to normal screens. I don't want to have to replace the screens if I add a motion rig down the road.

Budget is $5,000

Thanks

@Keith_G can you share more photos of your rig? I also have simlab tr1 and triple monitor stand. Wonder how you mount shifter, dd wheel and HE pedals.

nice rig you have :)
@snejk7, Here are some pictures which might help. I tried to take from many angles and some views from within the seat so you can see what a car view looks like. Link to Pictures: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AtEOpYQNiCUxsZIuq_LUJusBcMyz_2LL
Rather than take up so much room on this thread the pics are in this google drive folder. If you have trouble seeing the pics let me know and I can attach some on the actual thread.
I have a 4 speed from Fanatec set at the level of my real car, a HE sequential shifter, DSD (Derek Speare Design) Button Boxes, and an old phone running "SimHub" by @Wotever (great app). Hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions. Hope you are having a great time sim racing.
BTW: Game views are R3E with Otter Hub and Sim Hub Dash on the phone. Great Free Downloads from members here at Race Department! Certainly worth a few bucks of Donation if you use them!! SimHubDash.com

Upvote 0
@snejk7, Here are some pictures which might help. I tried to take from many angles and some views from within the seat so you can see what a car view looks like. Link to Pictures: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AtEOpYQNiCUxsZIuq_LUJusBcMyz_2LL
Rather than take up so much room on this thread the pics are in this google drive folder. If you have trouble seeing the pics let me know and I can attach some on the actual thread.
I have a 4 speed from Fanatec set at the level of my real car, a HE sequential shifter, DSD (Derek Speare Design) Button Boxes, and an old phone running "SimHub" by @Wotever (great app). Hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions. Hope you are having a great time sim racing.
BTW: Game views are R3E with Otter Hub and Sim Hub Dash on the phone. Great Free Downloads from members here at Race Department! Certainly worth a few bucks of Donation if you use them!! SimHubDash.com
What seat is on your rig?

Upvote 0
What seat is on your rig?
It is a Sparco R100. It is more of a sport seat than an actual racing seat. Works well with adjustable back and slider (separate piece). Pretty narrow though so not good for very large people. I am 6' and about 185 lbs. and it fits but not any too wide.

Upvote 0
@Keith_G thank you for sharing photos! I’m really grateful
You are most welcome and I hope it helps. I also realized in your first post that you asked how the DD2 wheelbase was attached. I don't think I showed it in the photos but it is attached to the horizontal flat base not the optional vertical arms. I have a Fanatec V2.5 base also and if something happened to the DD base then I wanted to be able to use either so I went with the flat base which works very well. I also have the button boxes attached to the wheel base (they are designed that way) and it is only possible with the flat base.

Also, my HE pedals are the Ultimate version and they didn't have holes on the pedal base that would fit so I attached them to the pre drilled rear slots and then drilled my own holes for the front of the pedals.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea