New Thrustmaster T300 RS GT- strange whining noise coming from the wheel base (it's not a fan, it's not a buzzing nor rattling)

Hi,

I've just purchased new T300 RS GT (WOW, what a change comparing it with DFGT!) but I'm afraid that my unit is defective. As soon as I plug it into the USB port, it starts making a strange, wheezing, whining sound.
It quiets down a bit when the steering wheel is EXACTLY in zero position, as well as when I turn the wheel harder. In general, however, my T300 keeps wheezing, only the pitch fluctuates slightly.

It's not the buzzing sound known from the chargers or some PSU's, it's not a rattling sound of damaged fan bearing, it's not the fan itself ("always on" mode is deactivated). It is about half as loud as a working fan, maybe even slightly quieter.

I can, of course, use the manufacturer's warranty or the store's warranty, but it's always a hassle, besides, maybe it's normal and I'll only waste my time and the service?
Unfortunately, I have not found any information about a similar case on the web. Every similar thread is always about the power supply or the fan.

I'll try to make a video, but it's best to do it at night when it's quiet.

Also, you probably know if your steering wheels make any sounds or not. I would be very grateful for any information.

My T300rs has a slight electrical hum when powered up, audible in a quiet room but not when racing, watching vids etc.

If it is excessive to the being point of annoying it may be worth getting video evidence and e mailing TM for an RMA or repair.

I've had mine for 5 or 6 years now and, apart from replacing a rattling fan, it's been a solid purchase.

Of course, it is not audible during the game, but it almost as loud as my PC fans.
If it is normal, I will have to get used to it. But it is irritating for me, really...

Does this hum/whine change in your case when you rotate the wheel or is it constant?

OK, I've made some videos.

Whining/humming sound appears when I connect the USB plug to the computer.
It changes a bit (gets quieter, then louder, pitch fluctuates slightly), when I rotate the wheel.
When I unplug the wheel from the electric outlet, the sound disappears.
It seems to come from a running engine (winding?) - it's little bit more audible from the engine side.

USB Connected - sound audible
USB Disconnected - wheel is quiet

Last edited:
It changes pitch slightly if I move the wheel, i guess i've had it that long i don't really notice it. That said i keep it on an easily accessible socket and power it down when not in use.

Yours sounds about the same which is normal i guess. Give it five or six years and you won't know it's there...:D

Damn, to be honest in quiet room I'd call it loud now... Fortunately I connect the wheel (on a folding stand) only when I play.

Nevertheless, I feel calmer knowing that this is perhaps normal behavior. However, I also wrote to Thrusmaster support. :)

Damn, to be honest in quiet room I'd call it loud now... Fortunately I connect the wheel (on a folding stand) only when I play.

Nevertheless, I feel calmer knowing that this is perhaps normal behavior. However, I also wrote to Thrusmaster support. :)
Yeah, I've had my T300 for 2yrs now and in a truly silent room the wheelbases' "tune" is kinda loud. When I'm on my couch sitting about 6-8ft from the wheelbase it's loud enough to be easily heard through moderate-volume TV/streaming viewing, so I normally just unplug the power after giving it 10-20min for cooldown as needed.

Honestly I never thought anything of it--always seemed to me that the the more potential output of energy output (force, heat, or rapid compute cycles) a device has, the more likely it is to produce some whine, humming, buzz, etc. Electricity makes noise, AC in particular, it seems: Electromagnetically Induced Acoustic Noise

Since it is loud enough to be borderline irritating in a 10ft radius, I might pop mine open again and try to ID the offending component and see if it's something easily swapped to see if the noise is a fault in my unit or just a characteristic of the product design. Unfortunately, only a few months back I did a tear-down on mine and replaced the stock plastic spur gear with a nice aluminum one, pulled out all of its driveshaft bushings and replaced them with actual ball bearings, and lastly swapped out the stock internal fan for a Noctua. So my motivation to troubleshoot the humming is non-existent.

In your case though, when you mentioned the USB cable connectivity state and it's impact, it made me wonder if you just have a ground loop somewhere and a wheel component is resonating like a tiny speaker. I know with USB hubs and devices all over the place these days, ground loops over USB are a commonplace nuisance for the audiophile crowd with all the USB connected DACs--streamers too. For around $10-15 you could try one of these little USB-A female-to-female devices that function as a ground lift: USB Isolator (I've seen them as cheap as $2.99 on aliexpress, but they end up causing other issues like USB throughput or latency problemts).

I keep my T300 in the "forced" cooling mode with the fan on all the time so that's all I normally hear. If I turn the fan off, it makes a very quiet humming noise which I can't hear unless I put my ear close to the wheelbase.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.