New race seat for Next Level Motion Platform V3 (suggestions?)

Hey guys,

I have been contemplating options of replacing the current stock seat that comes with the NLR GT Ultimate cockpit that I am using with the motion platform. So far I have just ebay searched and found a couple that look OK. Looks like it's going to set me back around AUD $500 roughly, depending on what you go for. Basically the stock seat is not the best on the GT Ultimate, it does the job but I have a DX Racer desk chair that I am tempted to mount on it and give it a go. It is a lot slimmer and hugs my body a lot better than this one.

Has anyone had any experience mounting actual car seats to their platforms (motion preferably) whether it's the NL motion or others? How about the slider mounts? I am thinking of maybe just getting another DX Racer, that are around 300 or so, and mounting that. Ditch the rollers and the arm rests and just use the seat.

Thoughts?

I'd say be very wary to the weights of different seats for actual cars, or coming out of real cars.
Here is a good example of a UK stockist but will help you see various models of competition sports seats and recliner based models.

I've had both in the past but getting older comfort and recline became the desired pleasure over just snug fitting. Some bucket seats are very snug fits and quite upright. I guess it depends on the angle and also how you install such too.

Upvote 0
Yeah i wanted a recliner, I think a bucket would not allow me to get comfortable in the seat. If I need to reach forward for the wheel, which I will because I am pretty short, then that's a problem as there is no adjustment. I am in two minds whether to do it or not, but I'd love to know that if I did get one, that mounting it wouldn't be a nightmare.

Upvote 0
How hard is it to buy 2x 5mm steel plate cut to size/shape needed, Bolt it to a seat riser or frame and have suitably aligned holes also for the V3?

If indeed the seat being purchased/used has a different alignment than the V3 support frame.

Upvote 0
Yeah this pretty much solves it really. If we're relying on the exact mounting holes for our cross frame that attaches to the motion platform, we may be out of luck. I saw Barry from Sim Racing Garage on YouTube review a Sparco (I think?) seat and he had some mounting plates that allowed him to connect that seat to his Stage 4 SimX motion rig. We could rig up something similar. Probably wouldn't even need a riser or spacer, just something to bridge the gap between the holes in the frame and the holes in the seat.

I think I am going to keep my standard seat for now. It's actually not bad, I am just overthinking it I reckon. In future I may upgrade the motion so little things like that could become a waste of time.

Upvote 0
How hard is it to buy 2x 5mm steel plate cut to size/shape needed, Bolt it to a seat riser or frame and have suitably aligned holes also for the V3?

If indeed the seat being purchased/used has a different alignment than the V3 support frame.

The difference is 10mm in holes mounting point difference on the width, so that solution doesn't work. As I said I've looked into this. NL seat - 355mm. Standard recliner seat - 345mm.

Upvote 0
Just a little creativity guys is needed. Of course, this is possible. Jeremy, do a diagram of the issue if you want but come on its joining two bits of metal with one bridged in between for both.

Look what HoihMan has done to his, superb example of being creative, finding a solution and applying it in a quality and professional manner.

Upvote 0
I was looking for one. Pricey, but worth it. I'm in Aus, so it's hard to get one here. I've heard great things though.

What makes the NLMv3 + GS4 combo so great is that i have reduced the roll/sway effects to an acceptable minimum and let the GS4 do most of the cornering effects. Simvibe handles the road/engine effects with a special note for the LFE which feels awesome on the curbs.

This way each device creates the effects it's best at and giving multiple layers of immersion. It takes a lot effort setting up but when you get it right, you have something really special.

I have also used a couple of spacers to get the holes of the GS4 to line up and drilled a couple of extra holes. Wasn't too much work at all.

Upvote 0
I believe I've mentioned it in the other thread, but I'm going to attempt mounting my Obutto R3volution seat to the NLR v3 platform. The measurements are exactly the same for the mounts, i'll only need longer screws to properly mount the platform through the holes of the R3v.

The seat is nearly perfect. It reclines, and has a long seat pan of 21" for leg support.

I forgot to mention that the seat seems to be a standard car seat, as side seen some replacements on Jegs web store.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I found the V3 platform a bit 'wobbly' for lack of a better word.. I think the flex in my fibreglass seat was compounding whatever flex is in the motion platform plate.. I needed to mount my simvibe shakers so I lowered the mounting position of the unit 40mm and then made a frame out of 4040 profile to mount the shakers and seat on.. It has made a big difference.. everything feels much much more stable..

Upvote 0
I'm just running the standard seat, standard mounting frame and everything as is out of the box really. I sit in my seat and adjust settings, drive without the platform on, and the seat never moves. Like it moves but only when you force it to move and even then you can feel that it's locked and won't go any more. Never had a problem with that. I emphasize this because if you feel uncomfortable on the seat without the motion active, something sounds like it might need looking at.

Upvote 0
Yeah i emailed Pagnian and they said to expect a bit of movement.. they said i could send them a video if I was overly concerned but i'll see how I go over the weekend.

Upvote 0
So just a quick update on this. I pulled the trigger on a replacement seat I happened to find from a racing website based in Sydney. I was looking for Bride seats as these were some that I thought were OK when looking on eBay. I am pretty sure they are replicas, because genuine race seats tend to go for a couple of grande. Anyhow, I found a Gias, standard size for AUD 400 plus reasonable postage interstate. All up I have replaced my GT Ultimate V2 cockpit stock seat for AUD 470. Not bad I reckon. It's a pity I found the need to replace the seat, but I was never really happy with it and always wanted something smaller especially as I am a small man and did not require a seat that was suitable for larger people. I guess they wanted to be able to sell the cockpit to as many body types as possible.

Now, the good news. The seat is AMAZING. There is such a difference. Hugs me so tight now, the build quality is MILES better than the stock seat, it's easier to get into (slightly harder to get out of though, but nothing major) and you sit a lot lower now, as would be designed for a real cockpit. Lower center of gravity in a race car is better. Not sure how this relates to the motion platform, but I reckon it helps it rather than hurts it.

Installing it was quite the bastard of a job. But I did work it out in the end, and managed to keep my bass shakers exactly as they were before. I did need to drill much larger holes in a few places, not the least directly into the V3 motion platform seat mount, and was a little worried I had made a big mistake. Very frustrating, but once I managed to sort it all out, use some spare parts from work to act as large washers to make sure the bolts didn't fall through the newly enlarged holes, it was an overall success. I have driven quite a lot since mounting it and it feels super strong, I was worried it wouldn't hold once the motion go going but everything seems to be OK.

All in all, a great upgrade. I am very happy that I made the decision, and would highly recommend anyone looking to replace their stock Next Level seat to do so. Just make sure you're handy with some tools and have a bit of an imagination. You will most likely need it.

Upvote 0
The difference is 10mm in holes mounting point difference on the width, so that solution doesn't work. As I said I've looked into this. NL seat - 355mm. Standard recliner seat - 345mm.
Yeah, just realised this myself. Another dumb non-standard decision to file alongside Thrustmaster using an M9 thread on the head of the TH8 shifters to make it just that little bit b@st@rd awkward to fit an aftermarket gear knob with the industry standard M10 thread.

I swear these companies operate in complete isolation sometimes.

I think I'll just open the slots with a file by 5mm to accommodate the difference, if that's possible. The spacing in the other direction of 270mm is spot-on (well, 1mm out) for a base-mounted recliner, so it beggars belief why they didn't follow industry standards in the other direction as well.

Upvote 0
my bad for bringing back alive an old thread but has any1 found a good combination that didnt require heavy modding such as filing? I saw Barry's review on the NLR and looked like he needed to use some washers.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 41 27.0%
  • More leagues

Votes: 30 19.7%
  • Prizes

Votes: 27 17.8%
  • Trophies

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Forum trophies