Need help trying to recover USB drive

All, I have an irritating but not devastating isse with a USB stick that I have been using with my CNC mill, 3D printer and Laser Cutter.

During a 3D print the power went out for a couple of minutes. When the power came back on, pleasingly the 3D printer came up with a 'do you want to continue with the interrupted print' message, so I said OK and it really did finsih up from there with no problems, or at least that's what I thought. The 3D print was fine, but when I went to do another print, when I inserted the USB stick into the PC it came up with a 'usb needs to be formatted' message.

I checked online to see if I coud repair it without having to resort to formatting, and found a few methods, none of which worked. The closest was to use the command prompt to to a CHKDSK function, but the message I got was that the USB drive had RAW format and therefore was incompatible.

I am pretty certain that it has nothing vital or (eventually) irreplaceable on it, but it does have a load of .stl and .nc files that I would like to get. All the 'repair' methods I have found so far other than trying the command prompt and disk management to change the drive letter involve reformatting, which will eradicate the data, making it much more difficult to get back.

I'm not in a hurry, and have plenty of other USB sticks I can use, and as mentioned suspect nothing critical is on that drive, but if there is a way to get this read to recover it, I would be happy

Cheers

Les

Gather you tried error check
Untitled 1.jpg

At least dont allow any tool to change anything on the stick before you gave given up.
Only edit anything on a copy.
I would try to copy the content of the stick into another stick or somewhere else with a hex editor!
And then maybe try to figure out on this copy which of the zeroes and ones is the issue.

Wait, try to use Testdisk (PhotoRec)
. . cgsecurity dot org . :thumbsup:

( trying WinHex on a ssd, but a
No-Go with lost fileheaders, I
think. Thanks. )

Last edited:
Hi all, thanks for the responses and also apologies for the delay in responding

The WinHex program allowed me to get the files that were on there, although none of the programs were able to recover the partition. As I thought, there were no critical files on there, nonetheless I have peace of mind that I have nothing lost. The majority of the files were Solidworks files, which I am rabid about backing up so no real chance of losing those

Thanks again for all the input

Les

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back