My homemade FFB controller

Hi, simracer fans :)

I just wanted to show you my last project.
After seeing the Steph Bord and V8Ben videos I wanted an FFB Happ steering wheel too !

But, instead of hacking a logitech board, I built my own FFB controller:
42497761.jpg

It's based on a Blueboard LPC1768H (I have also a version for LPCXPRESSO), 34$.

The main specs are:
- 1 kHz refresh rate output signal (ie: for AMC)
- 1 kHz refresh rate for USB data coming from game (even if most games actually update the data only 60-100 times per sec.)
- incremental rotary encoder for the steering wheel position (I'm using a 2048CPR, 8192 position per rotation, on direct drive)
- compatible with G25 pedals (and shifter soon)
- configuration via OLED display (soon)
- FFB monitoring, to avoid clipping (currently via serial port, and on OLED soon)
- no need to any driver

To drive the motor, I'm currently using an AMC servo drive, but I will build my own motor controller once the firmware is finished (for brushed and brushless motors).

I also removed the mechanical stop of the steering wheel, since it's managed with the motor (the steering angle is configurable).

This setup is more strong and fun than my G25 (I rediscover rFactor that I disliked before).
I can have strong FFB effects without clipping.

I think to provide a firmware soon (maybe for few bucks or donation).

Last edited by a moderator:
More for future reference than anything else, but a question still. The mige servo motors seem fairly inexpensive, but the shipping is almost 200 dollars to my doorstep. Is there a European distributor of them that can supply these?

Seeing my brothers G27 break down and also seeing what the insides look like, I'm starting to get fed up with these toy wheels...

edit:
Is this site reliable, at all?
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/AC-Servo-Motor/263706321.html

Upvote 0
When the software is finished, might be an idea to do a seperate topic here for the best priced/quality components to obtain with the latest e-bay links (many ebay links get obsolete after a while).
There is a list in french wich i know of.. but people might be finding better deals or components all the time.
Now the information about the hardware gets shattered over 3 different forums.

Also if the first batch of builders would buy the same hardware, than we can help each other with our setups, encountered problems or used materials much more easely.
Or even have some custom parts created for a much better price, as having 1 unique or 20 generic parts produced is a big difference in price (base mount, steeringwheel mount or quickreleases).

Also the parts we keep finding can be judged by the experts here to see if they are compatible or better deals.

I see so many servo motors and drivers available, it makes me dizzy...
Prices are reasonably cheap up till extremely expensive.
I would hate to spend a few hundred euro on a part to find out it's not the perfect part or i payed too much.. or worse it won't work.
I have seen complete sets, with servomotor, driver, powersuply (so the parts should work together), also saves a lot on shipping, having just one package from China, instead of 3.
Some of these seem like a very good deal.
Offcourse not counting the steeringwheel + mounting materials..
Thats something everybody can do as crazy as the want to, that wont change anything to the working of the project.

Than we just need the controllerboard with the proper firmware when available.
If i'm right....

Upvote 0
I've been following this thread (and the one in the french forums) for a very long time now.

Please count me in if Mizoo happens to release his firmware in the near future for a donation. I like building stuff myself, but I'm honestly lacking skills in firmware development, and it really seems like his FW is the missing piece in the puzzle.

Mizoo, if you happen to look for another beta tester, please send me a PM. I'd sure be willing to sign a disclosure agreement if you need me to. I could have this thing built in about a couple of weeks, but I'm unwilling to spend money on parts if I can't be sure that the FW will ever be released.

But I'd also prefer the OSS variant with a donation button. Not for the sake of being free, but for the sake of ongoing development in a community fashion if there should ever happen sth. to you or you lose interest in the project. OSS imho is a great way to build a legacy for one self ;)

Upvote 0
There are people who has driven with a Mizoo firmare, as I have read.
Is this "beta" firmware so bad that it cannot be used?
The reason for not being available (in one or other way) so much time later, is the difficult to have a version that can be used?
Why is this beta version marketable (comercial)?...
Is only Mizoo working in improving?

Upvote 0
:) The Firmware is working great, it does not have a ton of options, just angle 270=>1440° and gain, but but the FFB is really nice!!

Mizoo does not have a lot of time for working on it, and I think that he search how he will distribute them (open source or locked file, etc...).

And actually the Firmware must be adjusted manually by Mizoo to adapt to the encoder resolution of motors, but all new users from our forum are now using the same 10Nm MiGe servomotor ( http://www.aliexpress.com/item/PM-Servo-Motor/267482883.html ) with no reduction and a Ganite Device VSD ServoDrive, so for us it will work with the good angle, but with other motor with other than 2500ppr the resolution must be adjusted...

I hope that you can do this soon too ;) ...

Upvote 0
Thank you VERY MUCH for your answer Tortue G, REALLY (thanks to Stef, too).
Yes I hope to do, although so much time demotivate me and sometimes I think to buy a T500 and not waiting more.
My idea is the MiGe, Granite VSD and no reduction, so the actually firmware could be right for me, but I understand also the Mizoos distribution doubts. I cant promote nothing because sure it is not easy to solve and Mizoo has the knowledge and the work time spent. Normal I prefer a donation with open source and "trust" that the people could be honest.

Upvote 0
Yes, I understand easily that the "long" wait can be de-motivating ;) , I really hope that Mizoo will find the time to give you the thing quickly, it's a good way to make a FFB Wheel similar to Leo's wheel at a more decent price (I don't say that Leo price is not justified, he's using very good quality components ;) ! like the Kollmorgen motor...but it's a thing that we just can't buy :redface: , so we buy chinese motor and it works perfect :) !) .

Upvote 0
hello, Granite drivers are good components, but they are very expensive, for that price plus driver you have to add the price of a power supply that will cost quite appropriate, regarding the servos have to look good all the features, the 's in that price support, pulse and direction, speed mode + /-10v. and torque mode + /-10v. and fed to 220v., greetings.

Upvote 0

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 206 88.0%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 40 17.1%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 32 13.7%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 34 14.5%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 64 27.4%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 79 33.8%