AC Multiclass Audi TT/Mazda MX5@VIR, Wednesday 26th January 2022

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
I've once asked Enzo for advice to become faster and he said two things:
  • less braking, more throttle (basically brake later and go earlier on the throttle)
  • More aggressive steering. I'm used to turn smoothly into a corner but in order to turn the car faster it's better to force the car a little into the corner.
But both advices need a kind of sense or feeling that I just don't have.
Yeah, I think both of these are good advice. Even more hard to express is how to know how to modulate the brake and throttle. For example, look at Oak Tree which is a good example of a technical corner where you can gain a lot of time:

At 1:10 in this video, look at the brake and throttle trace in the bottom left:

In my mind I just trailbrake in, but if you actually look at the trace I'm moving the brake pressure all over the place. That's one reason why it's so hard to teach: I'm kind of aware I'm doing something with the brakes there, but I have no idea what inputs/feedback I'm using to determine that I should brake like that. If I had to guess it feels like it's based mostly on the feedback from the wheel, but I'm not certain.

Last edited:
That's one reason why it's so hard to teach: I'm kind of aware I'm doing something with the brakes there, but I have no idea what inputs/feedback I'm using to determine that I should brake like that.
That's indeed exactly my point. Talent can't be teached. Talent and willing to work hard are the common characteristics of winners.

They say everyone has a talent, well I don't know about that but when I was young I always was the fastest runner (sprint) at school or in my neighbourhood. I used that on the football field and many have said to me that I should go for the 100 and 200 meter atlethics. They predicted that the Olympics were feasible. But I just didn't like the kind of training involved in athletics. Playing with a ball, with others as a team, scoring goals (also a talent of me) I liked a lot more.
So I never got to the Olympics. Do I have regrets? Hmm only sometimes when I watch sports and think about if I could have pulled it off to get a medal. But when I think about all the fun I had with football and for how long, no regrets at all. Even with talent it's a great sacrifice to go to the top and on television we only see the ones that are succesful. We rarely see the ones that made the same sacrifice but without the ultimate result.

So no regrets and no real frustration that I will not be able to beat Chris of Enzo or all the other aliens.
I feel like a real winner when I've done my best and had fun. Fun with others like you all. A podium or even a win is only a bonus.

In my mind I just trailbrake in, but if you actually look at the trace I'm moving the brake pressure all over the place. That's one reason why it's so hard to teach: I'm kind of aware I'm doing something with the brakes there, but I have no idea what inputs/feedback I'm using to determine that I should brake like that. If I had to guess it feels like it's based mostly on the feedback from the wheel, but I'm not certain.
And that´s where BONO comes into play:

additionaly to what you did with brake and throttle trace he will correlate suspension travel, wheel spin, steering angle, G-Forces and what not to tell you exactly how to find that pesky 1/1000 you need in Top Tier Sports.;)

As you mention Oak Tree, I had a plan that would have worked rather well, I just fumbled it 99 of 100 times.

I´d turn in at the 200 board straight to the inner curb, push the brakes hard, release to trailbraking on the crest on first apex, than hold the steering and modulate the brakes to rotate the car into the second apex, than WOT 10m before the apex and Mach 2,5 onto the back straight.
The two times that worked the lap was under 2:09 min.
( Twice in practice, never in the race :speechless:)

So my problem is not to make a nerdy battle plan but to drive precisely enough :sick:

Any hints / drills??

And feel free to add advice for Road America, will go there now.

MFG Carsten

I´d turn in at the 200 board straight to the inner curb, push the brakes hard, release to trailbraking on the crest on first apex, than hold the steering and modulate the brakes to rotate the car into the second apex, than WOT 10m before the apex and Mach 2,5 onto the back straight.
The two times that worked the lap was under 2:09 min.
( Twice in practice, never in the race :speechless:)
I think the trick for Oak Tree is the later you brake, the exponentially better it is, because you can take a more aggressive angle into the corner and therefore be slightly more turned for when the next right hander onto the straight happens. That's why I'm really aggressive to go towards the 1 board, much more than I would be on other similar corners.

And feel free to add advice for Road America, will go there now.
Biggest time gains on Road America are to slow down more than you think at the carousel and get a great exit: don't feather the throttle if you can avoid it, and to take the left hander after the bridge tighter than you think to open up the fast right hander. Definitely a lot less technical than VIR, so fewer places to gain or lose a lot of time.

Last edited:
I think the trick for Oak Tree is the later you brake, the exponentially better it is, because you can take a more aggressive angle into the corner and therefore be slightly more turned for when the next right hander onto the straight happens. That's why I'm really aggressive to go towards the 1 board, much more than I would be on other similar corners.
Aggressiv late braking got me some awesome driftangles there, but shite times :mad:

Not precise enough for that (yet), but I´ll try on.

Biggest time gains on Road America are to slow down more than you think at the carousel and get a great exit: don't feather the throttle if you can avoid it, and to take the left hander after the bridge tighter than you think to open up the fast right hander. Definitely a lot less technical than VIR, so fewer places to gain or lose a lot of time.

´Tried both, sounds good advice for the faster cars.

Carroussel is WOT all the way when you hit the right angle of attack at the beginning.
( seems weird to call something without concrete slabs Carroussel, that name belongs to the Carrachiola Karrussel. Basta !!)

And under the bridge you can track out completely to the right and get back
to left for taking the following right flat out.

Perks of a slow car me thinks......

Thanks again, see you Wednesday. Checked my working schedule,I´m all in. ;)

MFG Carsten

Last edited:
I was contemplating what i and others have said this weekend.
setups.
My take on it, is you can make a car go faster, zero wings, zero toe, the correct gearing for engine power, tyre pressures 5 psi above ideal, zero traction control, no abs.
Most of the above will send you into the scenery at their first opportunity.
:)
Set up are there to make YOU quicker, where ever yo get your speed from. setups maximise that.
Chris probably knows a heck of lot more than I do about setups, and I am pretty sure he puts a lot of effort into them.
When he is not fun racing with our motley crew and ventures into the big world of sim racing, I again am sure that his setup becomes more important still.
End of sermon. :D :D :D

I was contemplating what i and others have said this weekend.
setups.
My take on it, is you can make a car go faster, zero wings, zero toe, the correct gearing for engine power, tyre pressures 5 psi above ideal, zero traction control, no abs.
Most of the above will send you into the scenery at their first opportunity.
:)
Set up are there to make YOU quicker, where ever yo get your speed from. setups maximise that.
Chris probably knows a heck of lot more than I do about setups, and I am pretty sure he puts a lot of effort into them.
When he is not fun racing with our motley crew and ventures into the big world of sim racing, I again am sure that his setup becomes more important still.
End of sermon. :D :D :D

I concur with your sermon :laugh:

Saw this myself this weekend at VIR :geek:. Gave the 2 wing a try thinking I'd gain more time on the straights than 3, but due to my driving style I was losing more time in the turns than I gained on the straights :O_o:. Popped the wing back up to 3 and all was good again :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I was losing more time in the turns than I gained
You were clearly going in too fast,very tempting, but slow in fast out,to some that seems odd but it works every time and get the right racing line,tenths fall by the way sidehaving more aero seems to make guys think they can attack the corner quicker..but on exit you scrub all the speed and then the aero kills your top end,especially if its a longish straight,..

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.