MOTION actuator differences

Hi,
I'm new here, thanks for having me. This is my first post, but I'm looking forward to many more and to good insight sharing.

I'm currently planing my first motion simulation rig and have been scanning the internet recently about finding the best motion actuator solution in terms of price/performance as well as ease of use, flexibility and very important to keep the finance chief happy: it must be very quiet and for a reasonable budget (so more like $ than $$).

D-Box is out of reach ($$$$$), currently I tend to choose between PT Actuators (but $$) and Eracing Lab ($) Acentuators.

They both seem to be very equal (at least from the outside). But that seems true for other similar solutions.

I was wondering what is causing the huge price differences between the various actuator systems and which one you could recommend. Would be great to get some advice on this.

Both PT-ACTUATOR and eracing-lab use Thanos controller... so motion quality will be somewhat equal between them.

IMG_20210324_161853.jpg

But can't vouch for materials quality of eracing-lab actuators (how long it will last before maintenance is needed), which btw you still have to assemble from screw and nut level by yourself ( comes in kit).

PT-ACTUATOR delivers complete actuators, fully tested (load and noise quality tests). They are also covered by warranty, although it may never needed, since they are built like a tank. I have seen similar specs actuators supposedly for military use that were not so well built...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi,
I'm new here, thanks for having me. This is my first post, but I'm looking forward to many more and to good insight sharing.

I'm currently planing my first motion simulation rig and have been scanning the internet recently about finding the best motion actuator solution in terms of price/performance as well as ease of use, flexibility and very important to keep the finance chief happy: it must be very quiet and for a reasonable budget (so more like $ than $$).

D-Box is out of reach ($$$$$), currently I tend to choose between PT Actuators (but $$) and Eracing Lab ($) Acentuators.

They both seem to be very equal (at least from the outside). But that seems true for other similar solutions.

I was wondering what is causing the huge price differences between the various actuator systems and which one you could recommend. Would be great to get some advice on this.
E-racing lab looks like a good shout for the price, at least to me looks like the SFX-100 but fully done all that is required is assembly

Upvote 0
E-racing lab looks like a good shout for the price, at least to me looks like the SFX-100 but fully done all that is required is assembly

indeed, looks really like a good option, actually maybe even better than the SFX100 kits, as it has Mige servos rather than no-names.

Both PT-ACTUATOR and eracing-lab use Thanos controller... so motion quality will be somewhat equal between them.

View attachment 457916

But can't vouch for materials quality of eracing-lab actuators (how long it will last before maintenance is needed), which btw you still have to assemble from screw and nut level by yourself ( comes in kit).

PT-ACTUATOR delivers complete actuators, fully tested (load and noise quality tests). They are also covered by warranty, although it may never needed, since they are built like a tank. I have seen similar specs actuators supposedly for military use that were not so well built...

Thanks for your reply, I actually don't mind to assemble the kit, as long as I don't have to 3D print stuff etc. Noise quality however is a big issue for me. I heard/read that D-Box Actuators are extremely quiet, would they work with your Thanos Controller @Tronicgr_6DOF ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
indeed, looks really like a good option, actually maybe even better than the SFX100 kits, as it has Mige servos rather than no-names.

Thanks for your reply, I actually don't mind to assemble the kit, as long as I don't have to 3D print stuff etc. Noise quality however is a big issue for me. I heard/read that D-Box Actuators are extremely quiet, would they work with your Thanos Controller @Tronicgr_6DOF ?

D-Box actuators are quiet because they only move 1.5 inch... they don't have enough distance to develop full speed on the motors and don't rotate the leadscrew to max speed. And no, the D-box actuators are not compatible with AMC-AASD15A controller, they use custom servo drives and their own software to work (no simtools or other DIY community software).

Try the 4 inch stroke on the SFX-100, they sound like squirrel cage in full speed (3000 RPM), and there is enough stroke distance for the motor to reach the full speed to actually make the noise.

PT-actuators actuators are lower noise even at 6 inch stroke or more, as better quality leadscrew mechanism is used.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back