Modelling help… reducing car polygon count?

What is the easiest way to reduce the poly count of .gmt car models when creating a mod?

Where I am at: I am at the finishing stage of a mod for Race 07. The mod involves 5 car types. 4 Are finished and work perfectly. The last car is simply a 4 door version of one of the other cars that I have already converted as a coupe. Thus, the only thing in actually need to do is convert the chassis shell and windows. (i.e. all the other stuff I already have cockpit, bumpers, chrome bits ect.)
Here is where the problem is. This final car's 4 door car body, though dimensionally the same as the 2 door version, only came packed with the one body size, a large file with a poly count of over 70000 faces and a file size of 10MB (compared with cars native to the game being around 12000 faces and under 1.5MB for the most detailed close draw distance of the "_A" chassis)

I tried using (a really old, ancient version of) 3DS Max to reduce the poly, but importing back into 3dsimed failed.
I also tried exporting to sketchup but got an "error loading skpwriter library" and "Emulated improper argument" so failed to even export there.

It has been many years since I've done a mod. Wasn't there a version of 3dsimed where you just clicked simplify model, and each click reduced the poly, or did I imagine that?
Is there any other option try and conquer this final hurdle?

What I want to achieve is 3 models of the shell for different draw distances in likeness to the games native cars. Chassis_A under 2MB Chassis_B 1MB Chassis_C 0.5MB Roughly.

*The other cars I converted had 4 progressively detailed version of the cars for the different draw distances in the zip pack, thus no problem with them.

there are a few tools for that, but results are very unsatisfying

here what i tested
Thanks heaps for your advice. I downloaded blender and it did the trick. I could reduce the chassis poly by about 2/3 before is started showing unsightly deformations, so I'm happy. :)

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back