WRC Generations Modding tools released - WRC Generations

Here's an interesting find. 5 days ago, someone publicly shared WRC Generations modding tools!

https://github.com/Avery3R/WRCGModTools

They also shared an attempted fix for the defective throttle model crap for 2 specific cars here:

For anyone who needs a reminder about the throttle model mess of WRC Generations:

This also leads me to wonder whether this same person could open up the text files controlling the AI stage times. This could allow people to rebalance the AI and make a better experience! Like Stephen Bailey tried to do with WRC 9 before the mod tools were broken by an update:

https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/ai-stage-time-rebalancing-ai-driver-ability-edits.40519/

I find this very intriguing.

Last edited:
If someone solves the throttle bug (and the handbrake one, not sure if the brake behaves correctly either) I'd love to reinstall it and finish my career. It was quite fun to drive and stages were really nice.

I just hope someone fixes this game, I want better physics, optimization and a steady glow of new stages and this would easily become big competition for rbr. Already starting out on an amazing foot with great stages.

Hi, I also just added experimental support for WRC10 modding in the latest release.
Fantastic work! Thank you for your work on all this :)

If they did the same thing to WRC 9 as WRC10/G it might be possible to trivially add support for it as well, but I have no interest in buying a copy of the game to find out.
I happen to own a copy of WRC 9, currently have it installed, and would be happy to do any testing/investigation required to help out in trying to add support, if you were interested.

Let's suppose the file structure and XOR encryption of WRC 9 is the same as WRC 10. Taking a glance at your code, it appears one would need to:
  • tell the tool to look for "WRC9.exe" as well as "WRCG.exe" and "WRC10.exe" (lines 50-70)
  • possibly fix something about "file headers", like you did for WRC 10 (lines 205-212)
  • watch out for files (or parts of them) using a different XOR key (lines 325-335)
Is this correct, roughly?

I'd offer to attempt to implement this myself and submit a pull request, but I unfortunately don't know C++. Perhaps I could test on my install, watch out for these and other issues, and provide feedback?

Has anyone been able to open and edit .PTX textures files? I've been trying but I can not do it. It would be awesome if someone manages to do it so that actually you can edit liveries straight up.

I've been curious to buy WRCG but seeing gameplays (in third person mode) seems like the cars are f**ink hoovering on the stage, like a boat, offshore, or something :D

I hope with this tool someone can edit the physic (like in WRC8) to make it a Land Racing Game, instead of Beach Watercraft game :D

Last edited:
Has anyone been able to open and edit .PTX textures files? I've been trying but I can not do it. It would be awesome if someone manages to do it so that actually you can edit liveries straight up.
When I last decrypted the game files, I wasn't able to open the PTX files. :(

A small update: I just noticed that last week, Avery3R updated the mod tools code, saying "Fixed WRC9 settings file decryption". They say that the last 5 bytes of the settings file used a different encryption key.

Hoping this means that WRC 9 is now functional when decrypted. Previously, a small portion of the COMMON/SETTINGS/SETTINGS.CFG file remained encrypted (there was gooblygook at the end of the text file). This caused the game to crash upon launch.

If WRC 9 can now be fully decrypted and successfully launch, it means Stephen Bailey's AI rebalancing mod is functional again! :inlove: This would make the WRC 9 single player much more enjoyable!

https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/ai-stage-time-rebalancing-ai-driver-ability-edits.40519/

I will test the decryption in the coming days and report back. :)

Last edited:
Update: the decrpytion appears fully functional with WRC 9! It fully decrypted the SETTINGS.CFG text file, and after following the steps on the WRGGModTools site, the game launches and behaves normally! Very exciting :)

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back