Modding personality traits

So I'm trying to make personality traits into something a little more realistic. Mainly by cutting out a lot of the pointless comedy things and tweaking length and impacts of the ones left behind.

Currently having CTD when creating new game with my modded list and not sure where to go from here. Deleting everything other than the first line in the personality traits.txt and putting that into the resources.assets file works as intended (it simply removes all traits from the game.) But doing the same by cutting all text from lines of traits I'm removing from the file gives the CTD. I tried leaving them blank, leaving just the trait number with commas remaining but same outcome. I compared my modded file to Red's modded file from his mod and there's no differences in the lines when comparing, so I guess it's not possible to just delete selected lines. Also some entries in length have x/x/xxxx rather than xweeks-xweeks, any idea what they suggest?

I'm pretty noob when it comes to this stuff so any help would be appreciated.

For me it's easier to change the .txt files. At least don't have to check later if are all the punctuation's right or not.
I could try that but it's so hard to read when it's not split into columns and a load of commas all over the place. Probably end up making a load of mistakes with values in the wrong place.

For me it's easier to change the .txt files. At least don't have to check later if are all the punctuation's right or not.
I used to manually change all the punctuation to be correct. It's why I keep an old file in the folder - to check its all correct. I've started to just remove the description and name columns and replace then with "", as the text is stored elsewhere, that these ones may as well be empty.

I could try that but it's so hard to read when it's not split into columns and a load of commas all over the place. Probably end up making a load of mistakes with values in the wrong place.

If you made up your mind about witch traits you want and witch you don't I could help.

I used to manually change all the punctuation to be correct. It's why I keep an old file in the folder - to check its all correct. I've started to just remove the description and name columns and replace then with "", as the text is stored elsewhere, that these ones may as well be empty.

So you mean that the descriptions in the .txt files are useless.

If you made up your mind about witch traits you want and witch you don't I could help.

So you mean that the descriptions in the .txt files are useless.

Yeah, I've tried changing the text and titles but my changes have never been recognised. The text is instead being called by the PSGXXXX stuff (which I am hoping Enzoli will tell us where to locate the source). As such, the descriptions in the txt are purely for reference (if I left them all blank, I wouldn't know which was which when I want to make changes), but it doesn't make a difference to the game itself.

So texts are only for reminding what the line is for.

So if there is a possibility to change or add new PSG's that would mean to change and add new traits. That sounds cool. Even if new PSG's couldn't be added, the old ones could still be changed hypocritically I guess.

So texts are only for reminding what the line is for.

So if there is a possibility to change or add new PSG's that would mean to change and add new traits. That sounds cool. Even if new PSG's couldn't be added, the old ones could still be changed hypocritically I guess.

Yes, though I have no idea where they are located. Enzoli sounds like he has seen them and knows they're editable, but I haven't a clue where they're located.

I took a look at it and it seems traits are only used in frontend.txt acutally.

That means you can modify them as you want as long as you modify their counter parts in frontend file.

So for instance frontend calls each trait in 3 different ways:
  1. "Driver Screen","PersonalityTraits","","HUDText","Greedy","PSG_10002063","","","","","","","Avide","<gender^Subject=F>
  2. "Driver Screen","PersonalityTraits","","HUDText","""I need all of the new parts!""","PSG_10002600","","","","","","","« Je veux toutes les dernières nouveautés installées sur ma voiture ! »","""Voglio tutte le parti più nuove!""","„Ich brauche ALLE neuen Teile!“","""¡Necesito todas las piezas nuevas!""","""Preciso de todas as peças novas!""","""Ik heb alle nieuwe onderdelen nodig!""","""Az összes új alkatrész kell!""","„Potrzebuję wszystkich nowych części!”","""Мне нужны все новые запчасти!"""
  3. "Personality Trait Special Cases","","","HUDText","The driver would like to be given every newly-designed part. ","PSG_10009818","","","","","","","Le pilote aimerait recevoir toutes les pièces conçues récemment. ","Il pilota vorrebbe ricevere ogni nuovo componente appena progettato. ","Der Fahrer hätte gerne jedes neuentwickelte Teil. ","Piloto que desea que se le de cada pieza nueva. ","<gender^Subject=F>

And traits contains these 3 PSGs :
18,Greedy,PSG_10002063,""I need all of the new parts!"",PSG_10002600,Permanent,,,,,,,19,,,,,,,,,,,,,CarHappinessBonus,"The driver would like to be given every newly-designed part. ",PSG_10009818,,,,,,,,,,,,

Now you can edit anything the way you want it but leave the same number of commas and have the same PSG on both files even if you change their numbers.

I took a look at it and it seems traits are only used in frontend.txt acutally.

That means you can modify them as you want as long as you modify their counter parts in frontend file.

So for instance frontend calls each trait in 3 different ways:
  1. "Driver Screen","PersonalityTraits","","HUDText","Greedy","PSG_10002063","","","","","","","Avide","<gender^Subject=F>
  2. "Driver Screen","PersonalityTraits","","HUDText","""I need all of the new parts!""","PSG_10002600","","","","","","","« Je veux toutes les dernières nouveautés installées sur ma voiture ! »","""Voglio tutte le parti più nuove!""","„Ich brauche ALLE neuen Teile!“","""¡Necesito todas las piezas nuevas!""","""Preciso de todas as peças novas!""","""Ik heb alle nieuwe onderdelen nodig!""","""Az összes új alkatrész kell!""","„Potrzebuję wszystkich nowych części!”","""Мне нужны все новые запчасти!"""
  3. "Personality Trait Special Cases","","","HUDText","The driver would like to be given every newly-designed part. ","PSG_10009818","","","","","","","Le pilote aimerait recevoir toutes les pièces conçues récemment. ","Il pilota vorrebbe ricevere ogni nuovo componente appena progettato. ","Der Fahrer hätte gerne jedes neuentwickelte Teil. ","Piloto que desea que se le de cada pieza nueva. ","<gender^Subject=F>

And traits contains these 3 PSGs :
18,Greedy,PSG_10002063,""I need all of the new parts!"",PSG_10002600,Permanent,,,,,,,19,,,,,,,,,,,,,CarHappinessBonus,"The driver would like to be given every newly-designed part. ",PSG_10009818,,,,,,,,,,,,

Now you can edit anything the way you want it but leave the same number of commas and have the same PSG on both files even if you change their numbers.

Wow.

I've yet to confirm this but I want to clarify.

Let's assume I want to change the trait name to appear as "Very Greedy" instead of just "Gredy"... are you saying, I only need to go into Frontend.txt and add the word "Very" and it would appear? Have you tested this yourself?

I'll give this a go later tonight. But I have a feeling it's not good no to work. (1. It seems odd to call text from a different asset. 2. Frontend is full of redundant text which is never used - so I wouldn't be surprised if this is the same. 3. It's in a very similar in format to personality traits that 1 and 2 seem likely).

Edit: But I am happy to report that I stand corrected :D this indeed works!!!

Why on earth they've decided to have PersonalityTraits.txt mapped to the desciptions in frontend.txt are beyond me but thats the way they;ve done it....

This completely explains why so many people are getting text string errors since 1.2. 1.2 has introduced about 15 new traits, each with their own new test string in personalitytraits.txt but they didn't update their frontend.txt.

Last edited:
So adding new traits is possible, awesome :thumbsup:.

Do you need to delete old traits to create new ones or can you add new ones as much as you want?
Should be able to create new ones.

You'd need to make a new line in Personality Traits.txt with the effect you want. You then need to make a new and unique PSG_XXXX reference. (I recommend maybe starting at PSG_2000001 or something and going up... I don't think the numbers have gotten to 2XXXXX yet).

Then you need to make a new reference in Frontend.txt (probably under where the rest of the traits are) and insert a new line there (probably best to copy an old one and edit it). Add in your reference you just made and your desired text and you should be done.

Just got to be careful on the formatting as always, making sure all the commar stuff is correct.

Just as an additional point...

Be careful traits are used by other files. These files call the traits with PSG numbers. If you remove traits, you'll probably get PSG string missing message or even a crash when it calls for a missing traits.

Is backwards... Personality Traits.txt are not called by other files... Personality Trait.txt instead calls in (Titles/description) from another file. So you could remove traits fine and PGSs won't be a problem...

What maybe a problem is that drivers.txt are using IDs for traits, and if those are removed, that will likely cause an issue - as a driver looks for a trait which doesn't exist.

So I actually went and edited the original txt file and got it how I wanted, took me hours and still getting a CTD. Apparently the game just doesn't like Age < 16 in unwanted requirements. :roflmao:

Does this new info Enzoli has found mean it's possible to remove traits in an easy way?

I looked a little bit in the frontend.txt file and I saw really amazing things they didn't implemented in the game, do you guys thing they will add this later?

Here are some examples.(I didn't see any of them in the game, if you did please tell me where to look)

"Driver Screen","TooltipObedience","","HUDText","Obedience defines how likely a driver is to obey - or ignore - your orders within a race. If you have continual disagreements with a driver, they will become less obedient.","PSG_10000026","","","","","","",

"Driver Screen","TooltipDrivingStyle","","HUDText","A driver will perform best in a car which is most closely aligned to their own driving style.","PSG_10000027","","","","","","",

"Driver Screen","TooltipExperience","","HUDText","Experience defines two things: the respect for a driver off the track, and how consistent (or erratic) their performance levels are from race to race.","PSG_10000028","","","","","","",

"Driver Screen","TooltipDriverStats","","HUDText","There are 6 stats which modify a driver’s speed when they’re on the track:
Braking
Cornering
Smoothness
Consistency
Overtaking
Fitness

There are also 3 stats primarily regarding the driver’s mentality:
Adaptability (how well they can drive a car which they are less confident with)
Feedback (how accurate the information is which they give you during Practice and Test sessions)
Focus (mental strength, liability towards accidents)","PSG_10000029","","","","","","",

"Driver Screen","TooltipConfidenceCar","","HUDText","A confident driver will deliver the best performance. Confidence with the car is impacted by the car's style, the amount of part changes, the car's synergy level, and the amount of a laps a driver has done in the car.","PSG_10000030","","","","","","",

"Driver Screen","TooltipRelationships","","HUDText","The driver can be liked or disliked by other members of staff. A harmonious team is easier to manage.","PSG_10000031","","","","","","",

"Driver Screen","TooltipPopularity","","HUDText","A popular driver can be a real asset - or they can cause problems.

Chairman: The big boss can have his own favourites, and may put pressure on you to treat them slightly differently.

Fans: If you were to sack a fan-favourite driver, you'll cause a ruckus!

Sponsors: A sponsor-friendly driver may attract new deals and offers to the team, and increase the team's marketability.","PSG_10000032","","","","","","",

"Driver Screen","TooltipTraits","","HUDText","Personality traits add modifiers to stats, performances and relationships. There are two types of trait: those related to the personality of the driver, and those related to their character on the race track.

Personality traits can be gained or lost over the course of the game. The addition of a Psychologist to the HQ allows the chance to try to change, add or remove traits.","PSG_10000033","","","","","","","Les traits de caractère ajoutent des modificateurs aux statistiques, aux performances et aux relations. Il en existe deux types, qui touchent d'un côté la personnalité du pilote et de l'autre, son attitude sur le circuit.

I looked a little bit in the frontend.txt file and I saw really amazing things they didn't implemented in the game, do you guys thing they will add this later?

Here are some examples.(I didn't see any of them in the game, if you did please tell me where to look)

"Driver Screen","TooltipObedience","","HUDText","Obedience defines how likely a driver is to obey - or ignore - your orders within a race. If you have continual disagreements with a driver, they will become less obedient.","PSG_10000026","","","","","","",

"Driver Screen","TooltipDrivingStyle","","HUDText","A driver will perform best in a car which is most closely aligned to their own driving style.","PSG_10000027","","","","","","",

"Driver Screen","TooltipExperience","","HUDText","Experience defines two things: the respect for a driver off the track, and how consistent (or erratic) their performance levels are from race to race.","PSG_10000028","","","","","","",

"Driver Screen","TooltipDriverStats","","HUDText","There are 6 stats which modify a driver’s speed when they’re on the track:
Braking
Cornering
Smoothness
Consistency
Overtaking
Fitness

Feedback (how accurate the information is which they give you during Practice and Test sessions)
Focus (mental strength, liability towards accidents)","PSG_10000029","","","","","","",

"Driver Screen","TooltipConfidenceCar","","HUDText","A confident driver will deliver the best performance. Confidence with the car is impacted by the car's style, the amount of part changes, the car's synergy level, and the amount of a laps a driver has done in the car.","PSG_10000030","","","","","","",

"Driver Screen","TooltipRelationships","","HUDText","The driver can be liked or disliked by other members of staff. A harmonious team is easier to manage.","PSG_10000031","","","","","","",

"Driver Screen","TooltipPopularity","","HUDText","A popular driver can be a real asset - or they can cause problems.

Chairman: The big boss can have his own favourites, and may put pressure on you to treat them slightly differently.

Sponsors: A sponsor-friendly driver may attract new deals and offers to the team, and increase the team's marketability.","PSG_10000032","","","","","","",

"Driver Screen","TooltipTraits","","HUDText","Personality traits add modifiers to stats, performances and relationships. There are two types of trait: those related to the personality of the driver, and those related to their character on the race track.

Personality traits can be gained or lost over the course of the game. The addition of a Psychologist to the HQ allows the chance to try to change, add or remove traits.","PSG_10000033","","","","","","","Les traits de caractère ajoutent des modificateurs aux statistiques, aux performances et aux relations. Il en existe deux types, qui touchent d'un côté la personnalité du pilote et de l'autre, son attitude sur le circuit.

I posted some of these during early modding discussion threads... A lot of whats in the file is parts of the game which never made it to final development. Hense, it's why I didn't think that modding this file would actually do anything - I mistook it for a graveyard.

So I actually went and edited the original txt file and got it how I wanted, took me hours and still getting a CTD. Apparently the game just doesn't like Age < 16 in unwanted requirements. :roflmao:

Does this new info Enzoli has found mean it's possible to remove traits in an easy way?
It could well be that in drivers.txt. the traits you're deleting are already used by the starting set of drivers.

Braking
Cornering
Smoothness
Consistency
Overtaking
Fitness

I've seen many things not implemented on the different files I used. For example in sponsors, there's a contact person for each sponsor with a name and physical attributes too. In drivers, you can specify helmets design but it's not taken into account by the game. I can't remember how many things like these I've seen.
It could well be that in drivers.txt. the traits you're deleting are already used by the starting set of drivers.
In drivers, the traits are permanent and given at the beginning of the game. Deleting them will not change the new traits being added during game.

I think you can remove traits impact but you can't change the game adding random traits. That would be game mechanic IMO.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.