Modding pedals to work with another wheel - is it possible?

New to the forum so I apologise if this isn't the best section for my post.

I've acquired an old Logitech wheel, to use with my PC, but I don't have pedals for it. If it's possible, I could buy a PS2 wheel with pedals and then solder a different connector to the cable. Do most wheel/pedal combos work the same way, or would there be more involved in this mod? The PS2 pedals use a PS/2 style connector, and the Logitech pedals are supposed to use DB-9.

I know this is a stupid, somewhat pointless idea, but if it is theoretically possible, I'd like to try it out.

Thanks for any advice!

Absolutely possible. Logitech pedals use potentiometers; PS2 pedals probably do also.
Used as voltage dividers, pot values are not critical;
software calibration should be able to accommodate signal excursion differences.
I did not see PS2 pedal wiring online, so you would need access to a multimeter
and some understanding of electrical fundamentals.

Meanwhile, Logitech pedals are available used e.g. on eBay,
and can be upgraded with brake load cell and digressive clutch feel, so IMO worth more.

Upvote 0
Absolutely possible. Logitech pedals use potentiometers; PS2 pedals probably do also.
Yes, and another option would be to use something like a Bodnar unit to hook up what would be a separate set of pedals on a separate USB input...
E.g. this product is designed to hook Logitech pedals straight to a USB input, but you could no doubt replace the connector and hook something else to it instead. Edit: cough, the DB9 connector is "fat" enough that it almost certainly contains the microcontroller so yeah you're not going to want to replace that bit... :redface:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Used as voltage dividers, pot values are not critical;
software calibration should be able to accommodate signal excursion differences.
I did not see PS2 pedal wiring online, so you would need access to a multimeter
and some understanding of electrical fundamentals.

Meanwhile, Logitech pedals are available used e.g. on eBay,
and can be upgraded with brake load cell and digressive clutch feel, so IMO worth more.

In that case, I think I may bite the bullet and give it a go. Buying a set of pedals on their own looks too costly for me - this isn't a particularly great setup so it's not really worth it. This PS2 wheel and pedal set is just under £4 including P&P.

Although... I could just spend some more and pick up a GT Experience wheel for £20. Decisions...

Yes, and another option would be to use something like a Bodnar unit to hook up what would be a separate set of pedals on a separate USB input...
E.g. this product is designed to hook Logitech pedals straight to a USB input, but you could no doubt replace the connector and hook something else to it instead.

That is crazy expensive for a little cable. But an interesting idea! I was thinking of making an adapter for the DB9 on the Logitech wheel to Mini DIN/PS/2 connector on the other.

If I do attempt this I'll write a post on my progress (if I don't do that then I've probably gone the other route)!

Upvote 0
That is crazy expensive for a little cable.
Ah, yes it kinda looks like just a cable plus a couple of connectors, but in fact there's a teeny computer embedded in it, with built-in analog to digital conversion and a USB interface. This lets it provide a voltage to the potentiometers and read back their positions and then send that on to the host PC.

NB: I've realised on a second look that the "fatter" of the two connectors, and thus the one which houses the little computer is actually the DB9!! So, yeah, you probably won't have good results if you cut that off, LOL. :redface: Apologies! But Bodnar do make other similar products which can be used instead :thumbsup:
(I've never used them but I hear good reports.)

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back