Mobile Driving/Flying Cockpit with Motion and Tactile ( Build )

Love this idea - hate the fact I can't move my rig easily since adding dbox, painful to access areas and have struggled to find a solution. Looking forward to seeing a vid of the end result.

I've missed having retractable casters. They were very convenient and the carpet sliders I've been using are usable but definitely a step backwards.

When I'm done, I'll share the DXF files so anyone can have a set of parts made.

If a few people got together on an order, it would drop the price a bit.

Last edited:
I've missed having retractable casters. They were very convenient and the carpet sliders I've been using are usable but definitely a step backwards.

When I'm done, I'll share the DXF files so anyone can have a set of parts made.

If a few people got together on an order, it would drop the price a bit.
Amazing, definitely interested getting in on that. Was looking at changing the ASR dbox mounts to lower the whole thing to get it in range of some retractable casters (as they attach to the bottom of the profiles, it does increase height quite a bit!) - but didn't seem as straight forward (had trouble fitting simlabs mounts).

Amazing, definitely interested getting in on that. Was looking at changing the ASR dbox mounts to lower the whole thing to get it in range of some retractable casters (as they attach to the bottom of the profiles, it does increase height quite a bit!) - but didn't seem as straight forward (had trouble fitting simlabs mounts).
Technically you don't need to bevel the front parts. I'm doing that just to look pretty, but the 4x caster plates do require beveling the holes on the back of the plate so the plate will slide. If you pay for them to do that, it's an extra $18 x 4 plates. or $72 on top of the $233.

If you don't bevel the plates, regular 32x M8-30 socket head bolts will work fine.

I'm sure there are other places that offer services like this. The only thing you would need to do is make the shims.

Edit: Just saw my order status change to "Final Inspection" :)

Last edited:
Hopefully this will drive the Reverb G2 with authority.

RTX4090_8734.jpg

This Fractal Torrent case has so much room inside. It looks like it's begging for something even bigger!
RTX4090_8739.jpg

Looks like the quick release retractable caster parts should ship tomorrow and hopefully from only from a state away. Very excited to get those in place :)

1668603971582.png
1668603950542.png

---------------

I've only had a chance to briefly try out the 4090. Compared to my 2080Ti, 4090 is an absolute beast. Running my Index at 144fps ( no reprojection ) and 150-200% super sampling creates a very "live" feel with no perceived latency. I haven't tried that in a sim yet, only room scale, but with room scale the combination of ultra low latency Index controller tracking and display refresh rate it feels very true to life in terms of my motions.

I'm planning to test the Index in iRacing, Dirt Rally and DCS with OpenXR and using Fixed Foveated rendering set to Quality.

The 2080Ti could run the G2 in iRacing at 90fps with OpenXR and FFR set to performance with no one else on the track. I'm looking forward to seeing how the G2 runs with something more substantial driving it.

It dawned on me that If the casters are going to lift the rig off the feet, I'll need to store the feet somewhere. So I designed a D-Box Gen 5 feet holder that bolts to the underside of the chassis. Printing my first right now.

I did realize something unfortunate related to this. Getting the feet centered under the actuators while dropping the rig using the retractable casters may be a bit tricky. Lifting shouldn't be an issue. I just needed a place to store the feet, and now I should have that.

1668618556910.png

Just got confirmation that my laser cut parts shipped today :)
Even better estimated delivery is TOMORROW! WooHoo!!!!!

Last edited:
Thanks! So basically get the D-Box captured feet option and create another wide contact patch. Interesting idea. I could possibly even secure the left and right sides together.

BTW looks like you had a car photobomb your picture.

Last edited:
For now I think these feet holders will work. I'll look into a captured feet solution.

Front_8743.jpg
Back_8744.jpg
Empty_8745.jpg
Full_8746.jpg

Hardware minus the 16 T-Nuts on the chassis. I may initially use M8x30 socket head bolts to mount with to verify everything is right before beveling those parts, but I will need to bevel the 36 holes for the caster plates before I can assemble these.

The status of the laser cut parts is Out for Delivery.
Hardware_8747.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! That's just too pretty!
aluminumParts_8749.jpg

Everything lines up well :)
The laser cut edges will need some light sanding, but time to put some bevels in!!!
AluminumParts_8750.jpg

aluminumParts_8751.jpg

Last edited:
That will work!
I need to trim the caster plate maybe 5mm to get it to perfection. Right now it's a lot further off the ground than it needs to be and the lever is nearly vertical for me to fit it in right now. So a little trim on 4 pieces and I think I will have a nice workable solution.

Working_8752.jpg

Lowering the lever arm and positioning the foot wasn't a big deal :)
I'm very happy about that.
Working_8754.jpg

I slide the casters in, then slide the restraint bar across the top, then I lift the rig with the retractable caster lever.

I don't want to rely on the D-Box doing any lifting.

I just finished beveling all the holes that needed beveling. I have the correct length for the caster plates, and I just need to cut them to length and finish the sanding/finishing.

When I have it all sorted, I create a short video showing how it works.

Last edited:
So far I've shared the 3D printed foot holder.
I need to modify the Caster plate height file before I share the DXF files, but I'll put them out shortly.

Last edited:

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 35 13.7%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 35 13.7%
  • Thursday

Votes: 32 12.5%
  • Friday

Votes: 84 32.8%
  • Saturday

Votes: 148 57.8%