Mobile Driving/Flying Cockpit with Motion and Tactile ( Build )

This was a bit funny. One guy drove for about 90 minutes straight including an AI race. He said he had no idea how the experience could be improved. The other person his wife just wanted to watch, but was then persuaded to try it. She said one lap, but then she kept driving and finally said that this was a lot more fun that she expected it would be.

Oh man! You call that a fan, this is a fan! LOL!

Awww.....

Last edited:
I'm smitten by how my rig feels right now and I'm not even remotely itchy to put a full chassis mover under it even if I had room for one, not in the least. I'm seriously happy with how it feels in iRacing and I mean everything, FFB, G-Belt, tactile and motion queues. It all feels very well orchestrated together.

I have not reached nirvana with Dirt Rally yet.
I haven't even started getting tactile effects working with DCS even though the tool I would be using is not SimHub and it will not be in the same league.

iRacing feels so much better right now, that it makes me want to ignore the other titles.

• Deleted member 1451080

Deleted

Last edited by a moderator:
I am vowed to make no more hardware upgrades to my rig until after the holidays.

A new i9-12900K & MB for my gaming computer gets by on a technicality since I need to upgrade my development system with a hand me down 19-9900K

Pulled the trigger to make two upgrades.

1. Upgrade my gaming computer.
2. Trickledown upgrade my main work computer which is currently a dated i7-2600K system that can't make the Windows 11 upgrade. I use for my work computer for software development so Win 11 will be important. It will inherit the ( i9-9900K, 32Gb ram, Gigabyte MB ) from my gaming computer.

This will be a massive upgrade for my work computer as well and my work computer also has my NLE software which actually would make use of the i9-9900K's cores once in a blue moon anyway when I use it.

Gaming computer

Keep:
  • Fractal R6 Case,
  • 1200W Corsair PS,
  • Noctua D15 cooler
  • Samsung 1 Tb SSD boot drive
  • Samsung 2 Tb SSD gaming drive
I considered the Fractal Torrent Case which according to Gamers Nexus testing would give me a 3C cooler CPU and 5C cooler GPU, all else the same, but realistically the Fractal R6 cooling numbers ( without the front door on ) are still quite good.

I've looked at AIO solutions, but the heat has to go somewhere and the D15 is still very highly recommended. If the case has solid ventilation, the D15 works very well. From what I can tell the i9-12900KF will generate similar or less heat during gaming and only goes crazy when doing easily distributable tasks like compression and video rendering.

I've looked at PCIE 3.0/4.0 NVME's and that have nearly zero impact on game play and most people in blind tests couldn't tell the difference in load times between SATAIII SSD's and NVMe's. And it's just so easy to plug SSD's in place.

Buy:
  • Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4
  • i9-12900KF ( I found a good price in the mid $600's. )
  • 32Gb DDR4-4000 memory
  • D15 LGA 1700 adapter ( Noctua would give me one free, but it's under $10 and this way I get it quickly)
  • Soundblaster X4 external USB audio card
DDR4 memory is cheap and currently the A/B tests between DDR4 and DDR5 don't justify the DDR5 costs.
On top of that DDR5 memory looks like the biggest cash grab right now and the faster DDR5 memory has not arrived yet. I'll get some later after DDR5-6400 is here and the prices have stabilized a bit.

The last bit is tactile and heat related. I've been unimpressed with how the internal audio cards I've got work and I'll remove one or both of the cards inside the case to remove a sources of heat and air flow disruption. If I like how the X4 works, I'll probably get a second.

Edit: Looks like everything should arrive this week by Sunday the 21st latest. I'm not sure I'll be able to get to this until after Thanksgiving break.

Last edited:
I'm smitten by how my rig feels right now and I'm not even remotely itchy to put a full chassis mover under it even if I had room for one, not in the least. I'm seriously happy with how it feels in iRacing and I mean everything, FFB, G-Belt, tactile and motion queues. It all feels very well orchestrated together.

I have not reached nirvana with Dirt Rally yet.
I haven't even started getting tactile effects working with DCS even though the tool I would be using is not SimHub and it will not be in the same league.

iRacing feels so much better right now, that it makes me want to ignore the other titles.
Great to hear this. I know that we all love to tinker and add/subtract/swap/enhance, but those brief periods where you can honestly say “This feel like everything I want it to” are great. Very enjoyable moments, albeit brief since we are all sick in the head to an extent haha.

I’ve never built a rig to the extent that you have, but there were a few brief periods that I got to that same stage
/feeling on my old flight rig build and those times were really thoroughly enjoyable for me. Enjoy it while it lasts my friend!

Sorry, I have not remotely had time to make a video this weekend like I was hoping. Between work, yard work, hiking and spending time with my wife, I haven't had a chance to use my rig this weekend and the rest of the day doesn't look better.

I did find a SimRacing enthusiast in my local Makers group who will be finding a good home for a chunk of my unused equipment :) He told me that he had never met another sim racer in real life. I think that makes two of us.

Last edited:
I had a request for my twin vertical t.rack DSP holder 3D print files, so I thought others might be interested.

FWIW, I am still using this and I managed to get them both tucked in behind my BD player.

There is an open space between the units and they are raise just a bit to allow convection airflow between them.

Last edited:
The gaming computer upgrade will begin soon. The MB and external audio card just arrived.
The Noctua LGA 1700 mount for my D15 CPU cooler and DDR4-4000 RAM should arrive later on today and the i9-12900K is still supposed to get here on Thursday.

computerupgrade_7045.jpg

That Fractal Torrent case really does look like it has great cooling.....
I've almost purchased this case 3 times now.... Not a good sign. I hate to waste a perfectly good case that runs nearly as cool...

Last edited:
Nothing like a new gaming rig, or at least a heavily updated one! Enjoy!

I planned to do the full update (mobo, RAM, CPU) when I got my 3090 back on launch day, but then the CPUs supply shortages hit and I just lost motivation to keep searching and/or pay crazy prices. Will definitely be a 2022 project for me, until this, this old 9700K needs to hang on for dear life :)

Looks like all this stuff is just going to sit around for a couple weeks.
Amazon just sent me a fan cooler cable instead of the LGA 1700 mount kit for my D15. Now they are out of stock and nothing until Thanksgiving :(

I've just printed out a return label and they are telling me it will be November 25th before I receive a replacement.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

Having received more wrong items from Amazon in the last 2 months than in the previous 5 years,
I am now sourcing components, often for less, elsewhere, e.g. Jameco.
The service there went downhill significantly, refund processing takes 2 weeks plus. Ridiculous.

• Deleted member 197115

I've built all my systems using NewEgg for the last 15 years or so. Their system configurator has always been very good at ensuring compatibility (especially for Memory on each TPL).
I always use pcpartpicker. Besides assuring compatibility it shows best prices around for selected components.

Last edited by a moderator:
While I wait for computer parts, I got to spend quality time at my maker space and watch an old mill get pulled apart among other things. I also met a very friendly rather large fellow in the smithing area working metal. He towered over me and shaking hands was almost comical. What a great bunch of people here!

20211116_201314.jpg

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 35 14.7%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 29 12.2%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 32 13.4%
  • Thursday

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • Friday

Votes: 82 34.5%
  • Saturday

Votes: 136 57.1%