Mobile Driving/Flying Cockpit with Motion and Tactile ( Build )

Yes you know I am jesting with you and indeed you need to get the enjoyment from this investment you already have put in. It will be a big jump in what you experienced before.

I'm looking forward to that.

I also have guests coming by over the Holiday season for Thanksgiving and Christmas and I would like to have my rig intact for at least 6 weeks :) I know it's a big ask for me not to do much with my rig for that long. But it would be great to get a bunch of tactile effects dialed in.

That said I'll have the rear plate just a fraction of an inch from the seat back and I could wedge in a piece of adhesive back neoprene between them to create contact patch.

Last edited:
It's time for a cooling off / settling out / optimization period while I mull this over and make tweaks for additional strength.

I won't go to metal for another week or so.

Reduced the overhang off the front by 5mm which will put less stress on the weakest point "Yellow arrow".

Added additional support for the isolator support to help reduce ringing "Green Arrow".

Moved the isolator hole and front edge of the plate back 5mm.
Spaced the attachment bolt holes between the angle further apart for better anti-twist support.

NeedaCoolingOffPeriod.jpg

The rotating corner braces below might make for a decent interface layer to my seat with some stiff neoprene between the metal and fiberglass. I just need to wedge it fairly tightly.

This interface layer can be rotated to match the seat back and can be extended until there is solid contact, but the profile spacing to the seat on the mountplate will be critical for this to work well.

SeatInterface_6946.jpg

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 1449502

Adding just "one" more transducer has trickledown including buying another amplifier and adding Additional QR wiring to my rig. On top of that, I don't have room for another amplifier in my multimedia rack and this is in my media room.

• I'm probably 2 weeks out from having the new Race Bass mounting system complete.
  • I'm at least another 3 weeks past that from getting my 4 x Exciters.
  • While I'm waiting for my exciters to get here I can look at how to create addition contact patches.
I would like to actually use this as is with 2 x BK/TST pairs and then exciters and configure some tactile with that before I consider "the next level". My pride won't be hurt if I'm not in the "big boy club".
Could I please ask what exciters you're getting?

Modified my Magswitch flight stick quickrelease for the 30 series profile.
It does hang over the back edge a bit, but it's still using M8 bolts and I believe it will still be strong enough.
30series_flightQuickRelease.jpg

• Deleted member 1449502

Dayton Audio DAEX32EP-4 Thruster 32mm Exciter 40W 4 Ohm
Thanks. Whats the optimal uncompromised configuration for exciters when paired with LFE/TST? 4 of those Daytons on the back of the seat?

Thanks. Whats the optimal uncompromised configuration for exciters when paired with LFE/TST? 4 of those Daytons on the back of the seat?

I don't think there is a consensus on what "uncompromised" would be.

Unless I change my mind, I'm going with L/R pairs on my seat back at my lumbar and just below my shoulders. Obviously they have to fit below my G-Belt and be above my BK-CT in the back.

Some people have put one on each side and then mid back. That would actually be easier in terms of interference on my rig. Also if I do get a good contact patch between my BK-CT and the back of the seat, it may make sense to move the bottom exciters to the side.

So the bottom line is that I've still got 5-6 weeks to think about it and haven't made a decision yet.

Mass is an enemy of Thrusters and higher frequencies.
Whatever can get Thrusters more nearly in comfortably direct contact with body parts
improves potential for clear tactile sensations.

The reality is, we want with the exciters the ability to...

A) Enjoy more effects
B) Apply additional mid-higher frequency detailing
C) Enhance the BK with additional 2nd/3rd tier harmonics
D) Experiment with effects possibilities
E) Optional (mix or combine) "game audio" tactile with "telemetry tone-generated" tactile

I found 4 can work well, 6 is better but 4 is easily powered with one amp.
Shoulders and mid/sides or lower back is what most people target.

If running Simhub at only 50-60% with the EPQ 304 amp.
It only takes 1-2 clicks on the volume dial of the amp to power these.

If using t-tracks or or other (hardware based) DSP then you have the bonus of being able to see (both) the Input level from the soundcard & Output level you are sending to the amp. This is a handy feature to see if any effects from Simhub may cause clipping or excessive output compared to others.

Last edited:
A bit about aluminum. I'm using both 6061 and 6063 for this application.

6061 is considered structural and has a 1/4" interior radius for my angle which adds to the strength of the angle beyond the additional material strength.

6063 is considered architectural has a sharp 90 degree corner with no radius and tends to be cosmetically better.

Of the two 6061 is preferable because it is both stronger and easier to work with.

I'm currently planning to use 6063 for the front two arm extensions because it will fit the tighter radius of the NLRv3 support arms. However, I could potentially trim the radius out using light passes with my table saw and I'm considering that. I have enough material in both that I can remake these if I need to.

7075 is stronger than 6061 but only available in plate. If I had issues with the ~400mm 6061 aluminum plate, I could replace them with 7075, however with the profile supports liberally bolted to these plates, I'm not expecting any issues.

DifferentAluminum.jpg

I just tried out my new 1/2" bimetal band saw blade for soft metals and I'm impressed. At least for now it's cutting 1/4" 6061 like butter.

I'll use my table saw for all the straight cuts to get my parts to size, but the bandsaw is much easier and safer for many cuts with no risk of kickback.

cutEdge.jpg

Last edited:
I've got the isolators as absolutely low as they can go in back without hitting the NLRv3 chassis or P1 frame.
I think there should be enough space between the seat brackets and the NLRv3 arms.
1633800969811.png

The front could have easily been designed so low that the seat brackets were resting on the upper angle, but is currently set to match the height of the rear.

I'm not sure if I will need more clearance here, but it is possible. I have a three means at my disposal.

1. Red Arrows, I can put reliefs into the top of the angle where the two low profile bolt heads may make contact and that could buy me another 3.5mm of travel.

2. If that isn't enough, I moved the bolt holes on the side support so that I can make a new isolation mount 5 mm higher.

3. If all that isn't enough, these will all work with 100mm bolts that I have for them, but I also have 120mm bolts and I can shim the isolators if I need any additional height.

FrontSuspension.jpg

I'm ready to start 3D printing parts again, this time to actually use as templates for the aluminum. I've made quite a number of iterations on these parts that I tried not to bore you with.

Last edited:
The final prints are coming out. I'm done iterating in PLA. I'll tweak the final aluminum at this point.

Edit:(Just made another change to the rear solid section moving a bolt hole 15mm to increase leverage, but it's just one part.) LOL!

Here is the bolt layout for the left side. All locknuts.
BoltLayout_6948.jpg

Adding the additional solid section extending back made a very large difference to the strength. I believe this could actually support my seat now (without me in it of course). So guess what I'm going to try?

All things being relative there is more flex in the front which I would expect, but I'm glad the back is feels so stout even with just PLA.

Just using regular nuts until I'm tightening aluminum into place.
RearSection_6953.jpg

I may mill out some reliefs in the top of this.
FrontLeft_6954.jpg

Last edited:
Got back from the mountains and spent a little time in my shop to create new rear tabs so that my front plate suspension is complete.

NewRearTabs_6956.jpg
NewRearTabs_6957.jpg

I printed out the new solid piece with the bolt back 15mm. Fits perfectly and the rear right side is printing now. In the morning I start making the NLRv3 mounts from aluminum.

I did figure out a way to dramatically strengthen the front supports. I'll be cutting some of my rectangular tubing in half and through bolting the top angle and bottom angle with the tubing inbetween.

BoltBack_6959.jpg

My exciters arrived. Aren't they cute :)
exciters_6958.jpg

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 1449502

Amazing work mate, your attention to detail is a league above, very inspiring!

I'm interested to hear how much the exciters add to the experience when compared to having a full TST/LFE setup without them.

I've felt like everything is at a great point with my setup but I don't know what I don't know... so I may be missing out on the final bit of sauce to compliment and elevate my config to another level again

Last edited by a moderator:
Break for lunch. Status so far.

Got my wiring ready for soldering to the 8 pole receiver while it was still early and I couldn't make noise.
Exciters_6960.jpg

Raw materials waiting for me..
RawMaterials_6961.jpg

Marked up my parts while I was waiting to make noise.
MarkedUp_6962.jpg

MarkedUP_6963.jpg

Getting closer...
I still need to cut and drill the right solid aluminum piece to finish out the NLRv3 mount parts.

Parts_6965.jpg

Two more 3D printed parts need to be printed before I have my updated front and rear plate templates ready.

Last edited:
I've got the base in place. I haven't added the front end reinforcements yet.
BaseInPlace_6970.jpg

I have the front plate template created.
FrontPlateTemplate_6972.jpg

I'm still waiting for the 30x60 profile piece to fit inside the seat for my quick release, so I cut down a piece of 40x40 for rigidity until it arrives.
FrontTemplate_6973.jpg

Just waiting for the rear center piece and my plate templates will be complete.
RearTemplate_6974.jpg

Templates_6975.jpg

Been at it non-stop since early this morning. So close !!!!!!!

I haven't stripped the brackets yet or put the final finish on these parts, but right now I'm just in a push to get it all back together and working again :) WITH FULL TACTILE!!!! Witness the power of my fully operational DeathStar. ;)

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 35 14.3%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 29 11.9%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 33 13.5%
  • Thursday

Votes: 31 12.7%
  • Friday

Votes: 83 34.0%
  • Saturday

Votes: 140 57.4%