Mobile Driving/Flying Cockpit with Motion and Tactile ( Build )

So... that happened. Now back to my 15 hour long conference call. (not kidding)

SshiftCover_6050.jpg

Yeah, that was real. I started work at 6am Friday and was pulled in for a 15 hour (all hands on deck) conference call that went from 9am until 12am. Pretty nuts!
Being a contractor who bills by the hour only takes some of the sting out of a day like that.

ConferenceCallEnd.jpg

I decided to make one more minor upgrade to my rig. I've ordered some retractable castors rated for 880lbs with wider 3" wheels and a rubber end cap at the end of the lever. I've scraped my foot on the current wheel levers while in bare feet playing room scale games.

I'm going to change my mounts from using 2x corner braces on the back to using some 1/4" aluminum angle aluminum cut to fit and I'll probably 3D print a cover to fit whatever I machine. At the front of my rig, I'll use 1/4" aluminum plates with beveled bolts on the back.

This will just make my rig roll a bit easier and I'll take the opportunity to pretty up the caster mounts.
Very rough mockup.

I'll use the existing 6 holes that come with casters and drill the angle aluminum to match. I'll use M8 bolts to hold the angle to the rig, and have a couple more M6 bolt holes drilled through the angle to attach the 3D printed cover.

CornerbraceRetractableCaster.jpg

Last edited:
@DrRob I was thinking of a comment you made a while back about gloves and I decided to print something to hold my gloves that bolts to the side of the uprights. I'm thinking it will be about 120mm, or the entire width of the uprights, maybe open an inch and 2 inches tall.

Right now I'm printing more of the Velco clips and stepping back into iRacing for a while.

@DrRob I was thinking of a comment you made a while back about gloves and I decided to print something to hold my gloves that bolts to the side of the uprights. I'm thinking it will be about 120mm, or the entire width of the uprights, maybe open an inch and 2 inches tall.

Right now I'm printing more of the Velco clips and stepping back into iRacing for a while.
Will be interesting to see what you come up with!

BTW in the transducer / direct drive department I was grinning ear to ear today. I was driving a track in iRacing and I could feel the expansion cracks in the track in my front transducers and then rear transducer. The timing was impeccable! On top of that I actually felt an asphalt patch in my steering wheel and it felt right! Freaking amazing! They must be doing a better job translating their laser scans into tactile and FFB data.

With the VR cable weight lifted and running 144 fps in iRacing I was feeling blown away all over again!

Last edited:
Also made some color matched bolt covers :)

Have two black installed, the mate to the red cover below is printing now.

ScrewCap_6071.jpg

Made them the same diameter as the pipe on the other side of the bolt hole for symmetry.

ScrewCap_6068.jpg

Last edited:
I'll be printing the glove holder! Did you ever do a HMD holder?

I just love stealing Ideas off you! I see in a above pic you have a nifty little table /tray holding a keyboard? It looks nice and modern and would match my black P1. I like this idea for holding controllers - KB, VR controllers, Xbox controller. What model is it?

BTW -- we recently discussed methods to navigate menus while in VR, but I didn't want a bunch of extra button boxes installed. I found the solution. I dug into the box containing my old V1 rift. It originally came with a wireless Xbox type controller. I never used it, as I'm no gamer, and proper touch controllers were soon released.

Well I finally gave it a shot and it was perfect (and free for me) I tried it with D rally 2, and Karkraft, and it was a breeze to navigate everything. The real shocker was that I didn't even have to bind any buttons! They were already pre bound like the keyboard was. Didn't see that coming, and thought it would take hours to bind all the sim menus.

Now I just need a small table to set it and the wireless keyboard on!

Last edited:
I'll be printing the glove holder! Did you ever do a HMD holder?

I just love stealing Ideas off you! I see in a above pic you have a nifty little table /tray holding a keyboard? It looks nice and modern and would match my black P1. I like this idea for holding controllers - KB, VR controllers, Xbox controller. What model is it?

BTW -- we recently discussed methods to navigate menus while in VR, but I didn't want a bunch of extra button boxes installed. I found the solution. I dug into the box containing my old V1 rift. It originally came with a wireless Xbox type controller. I never used it, as I'm no gamer, and proper touch controllers were soon released.

Well I finally gave it a shot and it was perfect (and free for me) I tried it with D rally 2, and Karkraft, and it was a breeze to navigate everything. The real shocker was that I didn't even have to bind any buttons! They were already pre bound like the keyboard was. Didn't see that coming, and thought it would take hours to bind all the sim menus.

Now I just need a small table to set it and the wireless keyboard on!

Using a game controller sounds like a great solution without adding a button box.
Bonus points for it being pre-mapped :)

The whole point of this is sharing! So I'm glad some of my ideas work for you.

Here is the telescoping keyboard tray I'm using. It's inexpensive and works very well for this. I've had mine for almost 2 years. It comes with wheels, but without wheels is slides beautifully on carpet.

I do have an HMD holder hanging off my Button box along with a phone holder.
You might prefer something like this. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4645852

BasicallyDone_5874.jpg

Last edited:
Cart ordered. Thanks!

Great! PS. Did you notice all the tripods in the corner on that same picture? I'm going to take a stab at creating a video walk through of my rig. I've had a number of requests and I think some things are easier to demonstrate in use than to describe.

No, but I see them now!. Would love a walkthrough.

BTW, I happen to have that same light stand, and the Kiwi pulleys, though haven;t done anything with them. Might try the tripod solution you show.

My rig is only recently completed, and now I'm halfway through setting up all the Sim software, Flight sims next!

After that it's all convenience mods, since I'm somewhat lazy (I've taken 2 years and still not 100% complete! ) That controller table, and the rig holders moves me further down that road. I want everything "right there" and ready to roll.

Now I need to sell my swivel keyboard tray.I just not what I wanted, especially with full motion.

Last edited:
New retractable casters arrive today. They are rated for twice what my rig and I combined weigh and have larger wheels which should make my rig roll easier.

880lbcasters.jpg

This time rather than drilling the plate out, I'm going to use the existing caster holes and cut down some aluminum angle that I will drill to match.

What I have now doesn't look terrible, but I think it could be improved.
currentCasterMount.jpg

I'm playing with ideas for a cover that will fit over the angle aluminum and around the caster.

CasterAngle.jpg

Last edited:

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 35 14.2%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 29 11.8%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 33 13.4%
  • Thursday

Votes: 31 12.6%
  • Friday

Votes: 83 33.7%
  • Saturday

Votes: 142 57.7%